X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • woodynoob
    Forum Newbie
    • Apr 2013

What do I have?

My father passed a few years back and I've finally gotten around to cleaning out his workshop. I knew he owned two tablesaws, but I fell down laughing when I saw one was a BT3000!!! No wonder I ended up buying my own on Craigslist last spring...either it was a subconscious impulse or some sort of psychic channeling thing...

Anyway, I wanted to talk about the second TableSaw and get some advice. My father raved about it for years and showed it to me a couple times, but I didn't know squat about saws and woodworking so it didn't mean much. Well, after pulling out the table into the light, cleaning it up, changing the blade, etc.. I now know what he was talking about.

I believe some cabinetmaker made himself a saw and it is gorgeous! A great joining of wood and steel with great precision. However, I'm no expert, so am bringing the question to the community... What do I have?

A full photo set can be found here: https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A8532ODWvupgb

It runs nicely and I did a couple test cuts with an old blade.

Thank you,

Aaron
  • woodturner
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2008
    • Western Pennsylvania
    • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

My first thought was that it was built from a Gilliom plan set. After looking at the pictures more carefully, though, it doesn't really look like a Gilliom.

I think you are right, I think a woodworker (probably an engineer) build his own saw.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

I believe that I would clean the paint spills on the top, wipe it down and move it into the house as a corner table. At least in your shop as a display piece.
      capncarl

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

You have a marval of human inginuity! Back when it cost more than one could afford, some, SOME talented and highly skilled people made their own tools. It is also from the days in which people respected the tool - from a maintainence and safety point of view. It speaks volumes of a culture all but lost. That looks like it might be from a hardware "kit", but I am no expert on this. I have seen a few "home-made" saws - years ago.

As to value, I don't think it has much value except to a few specialized collectors. If you find the right one, it might have a good value. There "might" be a few museums somewhere around the country that would be interested in something like this if it is cleaned and in good enough condition, which it looks like (ecept for the paint on top).
        Last edited by leehljp; 09-13-2013, 06:37 AM.
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• wardprobst
          • Jan 2006
          • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
          • Craftsman 22811

There were kits sold for this 40 or 50 years ago by a company. They used to advertise in Popular Mechanics, I can't come up with the name but I had plans to get one back in the day.
          DP
          www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• Pappy
            The Full Monte
            • Dec 2002
            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 (x2)

Interesting piece of engineering!

As Lee said, the only resale value would be to a specialized collector or maybe a museum.

The only piece that you might be able to date would be the motor. Tried to do a bit of quick research but no real luck. Walker Turner moved to Plainfield, NJ around 1933. The 'Driver Line' appears to have been a home/hobby line of tools.

I did find one thread on a motor rebuild that was pic intense. All the internal wiring is cloth insulated. For that reason alone, it would become a display piece if it were mine.

Since it was obviously revered by your Father, I'm with Carl. Maybe do some light cleaning of the paint splatters without destroying the patina and display it in the house. Secure the power cord so that it can't be plugged in and turned on by a curious child.
            Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
            Fools because they have to say something.
            Plato

Comment

• All Thumbs
              Established Member
              • Oct 2009
              • Penn Hills, PA
              • BT3K/Saw-Stop

I think Woodturner is on the right track, I think it was made from a pre-Gilliom kit. Certainly Gilliom wasn't the first offering table saw kits.

Comment

• capncarl
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Leesburg Georgia USA
                • SawStop CTS

I ran into a homemade jig saw that was powered by an antique trettle Singer sewing machine mecanism at an estate sale. It was not for sale but really made you appreciate how people are able to create a tool out of something that they already have.
                capncarl

Comment

• woodynoob
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Apr 2013

Thanks all for the great information.

I was curious as to why it was considered to come from a kit? I could find no labeling or engraving identifiers that might indicate it was a product of some sort...?

Unfortunately, neither my family or I have space in our homes for this. I would love for it to go to someone that appreciates and will care for it, so if a forum member would like it, please let me know. It is at my mothers house in the Seattle area. I will be there until Mid-next week.

Aaron

Comment

• JoeyGee
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2005
                    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                    • BT3100-1

I would find somewhere to stash that until you can find space for it. I have a feeling you will kick yourself down the line if you got rid of it.

I really like the idea of using that as a table. Some hipster designer would probably drool over that. Just don't leave the plug on it. Someone thinks a lamp is unplugged one day...
                    Joe

Comment

• JimD
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2003
                      • Lexington, SC.

I had a Gilliom table saw and it was much different than your pictures. I had adjustable blade height and angle which this saw does not appear to have. Still it is neat, however. I still have a Gilliom band saw.

Comment

• woodynoob
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Apr 2013

It definitely has adjustable blade height, but maybe my pics don't show it well. Here's another pic:

Comment

• chopnhack
                          Veteran Member
                          • Oct 2006
                          • Florida
                          • Ryobi BT3100

It might be a plan build or a home brew, either way, it was executed well. I don't necessarily believe it was an engineer. There are many folk that are not in that particular trade that can think 5 steps ahead in 3 dimensions.
                          Kudos to the builder ;-)

Agreed with all already said. Save for sentimental reasons if you have the room. Otherwise try to find a good home for it. Perhaps a local woodworking club would like to have it as a conversational piece?
                          I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• Pappy
                            The Full Monte
                            • Dec 2002
                            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 (x2)

Originally posted by woodynoob
                            Thanks all for the great information.

I was curious as to why it was considered to come from a kit? I could find no labeling or engraving identifiers that might indicate it was a product of some sort...?

Unfortunately, neither my family or I have space in our homes for this. I would love for it to go to someone that appreciates and will care for it, so if a forum member would like it, please let me know. It is at my mothers house in the Seattle area. I will be there until Mid-next week.

Aaron
                            I don't think it was a kit, either. Wish I was close enough to talk to you about it.
                            Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                            Fools because they have to say something.
                            Plato

Comment

• leehljp
                              Just me
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Tunica, MS
                              • BT3000/3100

For me, the term "kit" is used loosely. Some of the hardware parts look they could have been a basic "hardware" kit. Quite a few "kits" in the old days contained the metal parts only and the wood was up to the maker. The screw height adjustment, the metal top, the overall screws/bolts collection, the lid hinge and brace, the arbor with the base looks more like a nice kit than something that was just "scrounged up", although it could have been. Bear in mind that kits years ago were top notch and quality fittings. It took a fine craftsman to make a saw like that to match the quality of the metal parts (kit.)

In general, "kits" today of almost anything, do not come close to "kits" back in the old days. In my home town there is still a Sears house that was built from a "kit" so to speak - from back in the 1920s-30s era.
                              Last edited by leehljp; 09-14-2013, 12:01 AM.
                              Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

Working...