• Show
Clear All
  • jenielsen
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2004
    • West Michigan
    • BT31000

Aluminum Extrusions for BT3X00 Saws

I posted this a few years ago - and I've moved again and come across these aluminum extrusions for the BT3X00.
    A good friend recently gave me his Delta Industrial Unisaw so I ended up giving my saw away to my sister last month.

Many, many years ago I purchased some supplies from T-Nuts.
    See here: http://t-nuts.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=14&products_id=1 75&osCsid=0aaec58551c97786bc3c0e3538644d87

When talking with the owner (Rob?), I found out that they had some lengths of the fixture block aluminum extrusions for the BT3X00 that were "seconds" (scratches on them).
    I offered to purchase a few of them as I had ideas on jigs/fixtures, etc.
    I came across the package of them and I'll never use all of the extrusions that I bought.
    These are used for the top of the fence, the SMT fence, and in the rails (not sure if they may go elsewhere)
    A bit more about the fixture blocks themselves:

I think I saw some photos of how to attach feather boards and fence extensions to the BT3k. Anyone in the forum have suggestions on how to do this without

I have three of the extrusions 24" in length - and two other pieces which total 24" in length.
    The two shorter segments that I have are ~10" and ~14" (totaling another ~24")

Any interest in these to make your own fixture blocks, rail extension stiffeners, etc?

I'd let them go for a postage + a couple dollars for a coffee to know they are going to a good home.
    If you don't care about the total length, I can cut these down on my bandsaw to 6" or 8" pieces to help save on shipping.

For some reason USPS, UPS, etc. pricing increases for anything 12"+

You can make these fixture blocks below by cutting, drilling & tapping them.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	47.8 KB ID:	856822Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	147.0 KB ID:	856823Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	148.6 KB ID:	856824Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	156.9 KB ID:	856825​​​​
    Last edited by jenielsen; 11-07-2023, 06:51 AM.
  • jenielsen
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2004
    • West Michigan
    • BT31000

Still have them. No takers yet. I will keep this up, as long as I have them if someone comes across this in the future.

Comment

• jarhead
      • May 2004
      • Boynton Beach, FL.

I just bought an old BT3100 (trying to get back into woodworking) and would not mind making a set of fixture blocks. I do not have a bandsaw or a drill press and wonder if you'd be able to cut me two blocks. Can you explain what else these extrusions can be used for?

Comment

• jenielsen
        Forum Newbie
        • Jan 2004
        • West Michigan
        • BT31000

Absolutely sir. Glad that they can go to a home that will use them.
        Let me know what lengths you'd like. I'd recommend staying under 12" to save on USPS/UPS/FedEx charges, although I can ship any length.

You can always cut them with a hacksaw and use a cordless drill in order to drill the holes to tap them. As for explaining further what they can be used for, click the links above.
        Here is the most prominent one which shows a number of different applications for them... You can also use them if you find some table extensions.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	201
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	857123Click image for larger version

Views:	192
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	857124Click image for larger version

Views:	200
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	857125Click image for larger version

Views:	190
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	857126​​

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

I would say that two blocks of 2" length each could easily serve as a base for the uses illustrated in the post above. Longer lengths would be a waste. You just need to anchor in two places basically. Also easier to install on the fence when they are short. Get two sets (4 each of 2") to have spares for other uses.

These blocks can actually serve to anchor items to the Rip fence as well.

Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-29-2023, 07:09 PM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• jarhead
            • May 2004
            • Boynton Beach, FL.

Originally posted by jenielsen
            Absolutely sir. Glad that they can go to a home that will use them.
            Let me know what lengths you'd like. I'd recommend staying under 12" to save on USPS/UPS/FedEx charges, although I can ship any length.

You can always cut them with a hacksaw and use a cordless drill in order to drill the holes to tap them. As for explaining further what they can be used for, click the links above.
            Here is the most prominent one which shows a number of different applications for them... You can also use them if you find some table extensions.
            ​​
            If you can cut (4) 2" each on your bandsaw, I would appreciate it... probably cleaner cuts than me doing it with a hacksaw - if not, then I will take a 10" piece. I will PM you with my address. Thank you.

Originally posted by LCHIEN
            I would say that two blocks of 2" length each could easily serve as a base for the uses illustrated in the post above. Longer lengths would be a waste. You just need to anchor in two places basically. Also easier to install on the fence when they are short. Get two sets (4 each of 2") to have spares for other uses.

These blocks can actually serve to anchor items to the Rip fence as well.
            Loring,
            Thank you for the advice.​

Comment

• Cale Moyer
              Forum Newbie
              • Apr 2023
              • Melbourne Fl
              • BT3000

jenielsen, I sent you a pm requesting 4 ea in 2 inch pieces and then I had another thought around 2am about the qty requested. That thought leads to the followin question.
              Does anyone know if the original ones provided by t-nuts/Micropreciis are drilled and tapped all the way through for the 1/4-20 mounting holes?
              As I was thinking about the qty I wanted, it led me to thinking about what size(s) holes would i want available. 1/4-20 was a given, but then 5/16-18 came to mind along with 10-32 and 8-32 sizes and maybe some others. If the holes are drilled all the way through that would mean 2 ea blocks for every size hardware set or 8 ea with the sizes I have identified so far. The question is, has anyone tried or think it would be an issue to only drill and tap halfway through (approx 3/4 in) on one side an repeat the drill and tap from the other side with a different size, say 1/4-20 x .75 deep on one side and 10-32 x .75 deep on the other with the bottom of each hole butted up to the other. This would allow for 4 different sizes of mounting hardware to be used on just the 4 blocks I requested originally. I don’t have any issue getting additional blocks but I don’t want to “hog” all the available material due to limited availability. I am looking forward to your comments.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

A 2-inch long block you could put 3 holes in each 2-inch side and another 3 holes on the opposite side.

1/4-20 are useful, #10-32 work fine.
                I would consider #6 and #8 a bit small and 5/16 or 3/8 overkill.

And sure you can drill and tap halfway through, different sizes.
                Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-06-2023, 05:11 PM.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

Also note my posts recently on
                  DIY t-nuts for the top and right of the rip fence and
                  some universal T-bolts for the rip miter fence make more sense. The two big slots in the rip fence and the miter fence and the front and rear rail top and

Name:	P6061267.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	857246

Name:	P6061272.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	857245

Click image for larger version  Name:	P5241259.jpg Views:	0 Size:	78.8 KB ID:	857241

another on small t-nuts for the left side of the rip fence that can both be used to mount fences and other attachments as an alternative to the micro-preciis extrusions.
                  I have found a perfect T-nut for the front of the BT3 miter fence and for the left side of the rip fence (same extrusion used both places) Its actually a weld nut, but fits the T-slot described above. (filedata/fetch?id=857152&d=1701377398) Weld Nut: #10-24 Thread, Tab, 1/32 in Base Ht, 3/8 in Base Wd, 5/8 in Base Lg,

Click image for larger version  Name:	PB300042.jpg Views:	0 Size:	87.2 KB ID:	857242
                  Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-06-2023, 05:32 PM.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• jenielsen
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Jan 2004
                    • West Michigan
                    • BT31000

Hello all,
                    I have been on a business trip since last week and just returned late last night. I will get these cut up - probably over the weekend - and will get these sent out. If you haven't already, please PM me your addresses

Comment

• pagimo6889
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Jan 2024

Originally posted by jenielsen
                      I posted this a few years ago - and I've moved again and come across these aluminum extrusions for the BT3X00.
                      A good friend recently gave me his Delta Industrial Unisaw so I ended up giving my saw away to my sister last month.

Many, many years ago I purchased some supplies from T-Nuts.
                      See here:

When talking with the owner (Rob?), I found out that they had some lengths of the fixture block aluminum extrusions for the BT3X00 that were "seconds" (scratches on them).
                      I offered to purchase a few of them as I had ideas on jigs/fixtures, etc.
                      I came across the package of them and I'll never use all of the extrusions that I bought.
                      These are used for the top of the fence, the SMT fence, and in the rails (not sure if they may go elsewhere)
                      A bit more about the fixture blocks themselves:

I have three of the extrusions 24" in length - and two other pieces which total 24" in length.
                      The two shorter segments that I have are ~10" and ~14" (totaling another ~24")

Any interest in these to make your own fixture blocks, rail extension stiffeners, etc?

I'd let them go for a postage + a couple dollars for a coffee to know they are going to a good home.
                      If you don't care about the total length, I can cut these down on my bandsaw to 6" or 8" pieces to help save on shipping.

For some reason USPS, UPS, etc. pricing increases for anything 12"+

You can make these fixture blocks below by cutting, drilling & tapping them.
                      Click image for larger version Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	47.8 KB ID:	856822Click image for larger version Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	147.0 KB ID:	856823Click image for larger version Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	148.6 KB ID:	856824Click image for larger version Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	156.9 KB ID:	856825

Great!
                      Last edited by pagimo6889; 01-29-2024, 03:45 AM.

Comment

Working...