• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Ridgid TP1300 planer $200

Need to make room in the shop and I'm selling my Ridgid TP1300 planer. $200. Includes the original tools, spare blades (not sharpened), chip hood, and bolt together tool stand (not assembled). Local pickup only. I'm in the DC metro area.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170318_133729.jpg
Views:	1305
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	829697

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170318_133631.jpg
Views:	1346
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	829698

Paul
    Attached Files
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

It's sold.

Comment

• cwsmith
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
      • BT3100-1

I figured it would sell quickly, as the Ridgid 1300 has a great reputation. I have the later "orange" version which I bought on clearance when the newer 3-blade cutter head model was introduced. That later 3-blade model didn't have a cutter-head lock though and it was reported to be a problem as some there were some claims that it moved when it was in operation.

I think your buyer got a good deal.

CWS
      Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

I'm relieved it sold fast, too. Had an excellent ROI on it since I bought it on closeout from HD about 15 years ago before they went the orange units. I didn't gain any floorspace back because it was on a flip cart with my OSS.

Anyone want to buy a 50's era vintage RAS?

Comment

• tfischer
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2003
          • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
          • BT3100

I've always loved that planer. I really should have sprung for it over my low-end Delta but mine does the job.

Comment

• cwsmith
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2005
            • NY Southern Tier, USA.
            • BT3100-1

You're getting rid of your RAS? I would if I could, but I cannot I know... no room here. I love my old Craftsman (74') and even have a second one for spare parts; so even if it was the same model, I just don't have the room to spare.

Hope your's finds a good home,

CWS
            Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• atgcpaul
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2003
              • Maryland
              • Grizzly 1023SLX

Several years ago I went through a "phase" where I thought having a RAS (and a vintage one at that) would be cool. Actually, I think it still would be. I bought this Red Star RAS (Delta precursor) but never got around to rehabbing it and setting it up. It's been sitting on a hydraulic lift cart ever since. Anyway, now that we're moving, there's no point in keeping it in storage.

The next tool I think I will part with is a 30gallon air compressor. We were cleaning out a store room at work and it followed me home. I already have a small 5 gallon one and I rarely need something with so much air since I don't really do any car work or spraying since I have an HVLP turbine. It's just taking up space.

The last tool I'm on the fence about is my PC biscuit joiner. Now that I have a Domino, I don't really use biscuits anymore. I'm on the fence since it doesn't take up a lot of room.

Comment

• poolhound
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2006
                • Phoenix, AZ
                • BT3100

Great that it sold although I have the same planer and was intrigued about your comment "spare blades (not sharpened)". It was my understanding that due to the fixed registration of the blades you could not sharpen as it would change the setup.

I would love to hear your thoughts and experience on this as I am just about to change the blades in mine.
                Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                techzibits.com

Comment

• tfischer
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2003
                  • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
                  • BT3100

Originally posted by poolhound
                  Great that it sold although I have the same planer and was intrigued about your comment "spare blades (not sharpened)". It was my understanding that due to the fixed registration of the blades you could not sharpen as it would change the setup.

I would love to hear your thoughts and experience on this as I am just about to change the blades in mine.
                  If it's like my Delta, the blades are set with springs against a setup gauge. I would think that as long as you kept the angle grind consistent you could get them sharpened to a degree. Although they're intended to be "disposable". I think if you had any major nicks in the blade it would be harder, but if they were just dull it should work.

Mattias Wandel did a video awhile back where he sharpened blades on his planer himself... didn't get a perfect finish but much better than beforehand.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2003
                    • Maryland
                    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by poolhound
                    was intrigued about your comment "spare blades (not sharpened)". It was my understanding that due to the fixed registration of the blades you could not sharpen as it would change the setup.
                    Maybe that was my attempt at marketing. "Spare blades (not sharpened)" as in "used".

I don't think the Ridgid blades sit against any springs. From what I remember, you slide the new blade into the slot until it bottoms out, and then you tighten down the screws.

I don't see why you couldn't sharpen these blades if you had a special jig, but you would need to make sure both blades were exactly the same width or only one blade would be contacting your board.

Comment

• capncarl
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2007
                      • Leesburg Georgia USA
                      • SawStop CTS

The local saw sharpener here has a sign that says he will sharpen planer blades. I asked him about it, especially the double sided throw away blades. He said no problem. It's less than half the cost of a new set. My spare dull set has been laying out for 6 months, I keep forgetting to take them to him. I'll post a review when I do.

Comment

Working...