• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • geopilot
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006
    • Lexington, KY, USA.

Craftsman Metal Hand wheel for trade

I have a couple of the Sears Craftsman metal hand wheels new in box (think these are the 22811 saw version). I would like to use one on my BT3100, but cannot find the required adapter to fit the 7/16" shaft on the BT. No longer available on the sears parts site. These come with an adapter to fit a 1/2" shaft with a single flat.

Looking to trade one hand wheel for the adapter to make the other one work with my saw. A longshot I know, but let me know if you have something that would work.
    Thanks, Dave
    Attached Files
  • greenacres2
    • Dec 2011
    • La Porte, IN
    • Ryobi BT3000

In the even you don't find a trade...I'm wondering if McMaster-Carr might have something that would work? Another thought would be that a sleeve would only need to be made of 1/32" thick material to take up the 1/16" space. Just thinking out loud...

Good luck!!
    earl

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

i bought this beautiful chromed and polished handwheel from Grizzly a couple of years ago for $8.50, now discontinued apparently...

It has a 1/2" shaft hole, I was planning on cutting a strip of 1/32 shim material and wrapping it around the 7/16" shaft...
      I'd have to drill and tap a set screw hole opposite the flats on the BT3 shaft.

I figured this was my backup should the BT3000 plastic handwheel break.
      Unfortunately I was never able to back out the screw in the end of the BT3 shaft that holds the OEM wheel in place - I was afraid I'd break something I'd regret so I gave up.

BUt maybe you can do the same thing... 1/32 shim wrapped around the shaft and put a setscrew in the hub of the wheel.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-23-2013, 04:15 PM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• geopilot
        Established Member
        • Jan 2006
        • Lexington, KY, USA.

Thanks for the input- I may give that a try. If I have any success I'll post back-
        Dave

Comment

• HSulley
          Handtools only
          • Mar 2011

This might help. Looks like an adapter specifically for the BT3000.
          Ebay item number 161178866117

Comment

• geopilot
            Established Member
            • Jan 2006
            • Lexington, KY, USA.

Thank you! That might just work. I am confirming the diameter of the arbor across the flat to make sure it will fit the handwheels I have, which have one flat but no set screw (see first photo). Thanks for posting.

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by HSulley
              This might help. Looks like an adapter specifically for the BT3000.
              Ebay item number 161178866117

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161178866117...#ht_425wt_1255
              the same seller also has a identical but non-black finish one for $2 less.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• geopilot
                Established Member
                • Jan 2006
                • Lexington, KY, USA.

Contacted the seller- the arbor on this adapter will not fit my hand wheel, but he is willing to mill one of the flats down to fit the insert on the Sears wheel. He is willing to modify the adapter to fit whatever wheel you might have. I sent him one of my wheels to make the mod and keep in exchange for a custom adapter.
                Thanks for the heads up on this seller.

Comment

• geopilot
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2006
                  • Lexington, KY, USA.

Just wanted to followup on this thread- received the custom adapter to allow me to use the Craftsman metal handwheel on my BT3100. I cannot say enough about the quality of this part and the speed that the ebay seller made and shipped the part. I have attached 2 photos that show the adapter he made to fit the hex hub on the handwheel. He is very professional and received my wheel, made the adapter, and shipped the new adapter back all in one day!
                  Highly recommend seller hubbard66 on ebay- he has a BT3100 and can make these handwheel adapters and probably any other custom machined part you need.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...