• Show
Clear All
  • Big Daddy
    Forum Newbie
    • Apr 2004
    • Wisconsin Rapids, WI USA
    • BT3000

Upgrading table saw

I am wanting to upgrade to a 3HP Grizzly 1023RLW. LOML says I must get rid of my trusty BT3000 first (first TS I have owned). I plan to part it out, unless someone wants to pick it up as a whole, including Ryobi folding outfeed table, miter slot table and base. Has Shark guard. I will post a picture of it.
    I wanted to let forum members have first oppertunity as it has been a great saw, I have learned alot from the members here on how to keep this great saw running, just a little underpowered for me now. I have other accessories: 2 router tables, miter slot table (NIB).
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Big Daddy
    I am wanting to upgrade to a 3HP Grizzly 1023RLW. LOML says I must get rid of my trusty BT3000 first (first TS I have owned). I plan to part it out, unless someone wants to pick it up as a whole, including Ryobi folding outfeed table, miter slot table and base. Has Shark guard. I will post a picture of it.
    I wanted to let forum members have first oppertunity as it has been a great saw, I have learned alot from the members here on how to keep this great saw running, just a little underpowered for me now. I have other accessories: 2 router tables, miter slot table (NIB).
    What would you like to get for the miter slot table? PM me at your convenience.
    I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Just curious. Why the G1023RLW instead of say the G0690?
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Big Daddy
        Forum Newbie
        • Apr 2004
        • Wisconsin Rapids, WI USA
        • BT3000

I like having the router table extension, and the fact of the serpentine belt vs 3 v-belts on the G0690, also no swing arm on the G1023RL trunion. Although the Leeson motor on the G0690 is a more efficient motor, the stock 3HP motor on the G1023RLW should be just fine.

Comment

• greenacres2
          • Dec 2011
          • La Porte, IN
          • Ryobi BT3000

I'm highly interested in the Shark Guard--feel free to PM me for e-mail address. I've been hitting Lee's site about once a week lately, but waffling over buying new or putting that money toward a new saw!!

Maybe the outfeed table and/or one of the router tables--much would depend on shipping (unless you've got a holiday trip planned that would bring you around the southern tip of Lake Michigan!!).

I couldn't agree more on the help this forum has been to me.

Thanks,
          earl

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

Sorry about all the questions. I am just trying to wrap my head around the differences in the saws...
            I can see the advantage of the router table wing. I guess you are supposed to build your own router fence to attach to the TS fence?

How is a serpentine belt an advantage over 3 vee belts? I would think the serpentine belt would be a single point of failure, where the triple belt would allow for some redundancy. Are they less likely to break?

By swing arm, I am guessing you mean the elevation mechanism pivot. How is that a bad thing? What does the G1023 you are looking at use?
            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Knottscott
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2004
              • Rochester, NY.
              • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

The G1023RLW has a vertical blade elevation mechanism with a leadscrew gas strut assist, and uses dovetail gibs. The G0690 uses a more traditional swing arm that's been adapted to accept a riving knife. The vertical mechanism has less play and always provides equal blade and riving knife height.

The serpentine belt is supposed to provide smoother more efficient power transfer than v-belts. Each is only as good as the belts, pulleys, and design that's used. There's also a DC shroud on the 1023, and the 1023 uses the well proven Shop Fox Classic fence. The G0690 uses an Asian made Leeson motor, vs a generic Asian motor on the 1023....I haven't read of issues with either. I doubt the differences are very noticeable in use, but the G1023RL is a more updated design.
              Last edited by Knottscott; 11-09-2012, 04:38 PM.
              Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• kcburnes24
                Forum Newbie
                • Nov 2012

Is the fence still available on this saw?

Comment

• BadeMillsap
                  • Dec 2005
                  • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
                  • Grizzly G1023SL

I have the 1023 ... few years old now ... my experience has been nothing short of terrific!!! Great saw. plenty of power, the fence is wonderful. I am about to invest in a set of rails since I find myself needing to handle larger work pieces ... but I don't think you can go wrong with the 1023 for the money.
                  "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
                  Bade Millsap
                  Bulverde, Texas
                  => Bade's Personal Web Log
                  => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

Working...