X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sandiego_tim
    Forum Newbie
    • Sep 2003
    • San Diego, CA, USA.

I have adjusted my asking price. I hope I can find a good buyer.

Comment

• sweensdv
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • WI
      • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Originally posted by woodturner
      I responded to your statement "ridgid's lifetime service agreement (there is no lifetime warranty on hand held and stationary power tools) is available only to original owners." - I was just pointing out there IS a lifetime warranty on hand held and stationary power tools.

Maybe you meant something different or your post didn't convey your intended meaning? Or were you trying to say that the LSA is not a "warranty"?
      Pretty much that's what toolguy was saying because he's right, there is no lifetime warranty on hand held and stationary power tools any longer. Nit picky maybe but to say that the Limited Lifetime Service Agreement is a lifetime warranty is incorrect. It's not a warranty, they do have a 3 Year Warrenty, but it is a no charge service agreement. Two completely different things that at times can look similar.

Comment

• sweensdv
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • WI
        • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Originally posted by toolguy1000
        i'm not at all familiar with this. i do know, from personal experience, that whatever my gray tools have needed to replace defective/worm parts, ridgid has provided free of charge.
        Yeah, like I said, I'm not 100% sure about what I said, I just find it a little hard that they would let a tool be covered under both deals.

Comment

• cwsmith
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • NY Southern Tier, USA.
          • BT3100-1

Well actually.... I have a 15501 "gray" drill press that I purchased in late 2003, which was at the time, within the introductory period for the new TTI-produced, but Ridgid-branded "orange" tool line.

Because the introduction of the new "orange-colored" tool line stated "any Ridgid tool purchased" (between the given dates)... I was able to register it into the LLSA without any problem; AND, I discusssed this with TTI/Ridgid customer support.

So, the carton and the manual, on the "gray" colored Emerson-produced "Ridgid" tool, both stated "against defects in material and workmanship" for the "lifetime" of the tool, it would be legally covered. It would also be covered under the "LLSA" because of the date in which it was purchased and properly registered.

However one sort of negates the other, at least for the original owner, as the LLSA provides the same coverage, plus wear! The original "lifetime warranty offered by Emerson's "Ridgid" tools, discounts wear.

For a second owner, they may well have some future claim under Emerson's "Lifetime Warranty", if a part ever proves to be "defective". But for such things I would think that some consideration must be given as to really how long can any component survive before failure, and not have it contributed to "wear"?

I hope this is helpful,

CWS
          Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• toolguy1000
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2009
            • westchester cnty, ny

Originally posted by sweensdv
            Pretty much that's what toolguy was saying because he's right, there is no lifetime warranty on hand held and stationary power tools any longer. Nit picky maybe but to say that the Limited Lifetime Service Agreement is a lifetime warranty is incorrect. It's not a warranty, they do have a 3 Year Warrenty, but it is a no charge service agreement. Two completely different things that at times can look similar.
            precisely. thank you for stating my position so eloquently.
            there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• tommyt654
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2008

I figured that LLSA was just a gimmick from the get go. If a tool breaks on me from average use, its toast in my eyes and goes in the junk pile to be discarded and I purchase another tool of a different brand. You can espout all you wish about a warranty here, but if one of mine breaks and HD or Lowes won't instantly swap it out I move on to another brand. I have heard horror storys about folks tryin to get parts,work done, etc. from Ridgid, Don't get me wrong they make good tools and I have several, but I have never bothered to register any of them as I feel like I stated if the company I purchased it from won't take it back it was junk in the 1st place.Fortunately my 4511 and sander,routers have worked flawlessly and have given no reason to get any parts for them. If they died tomorrow I would have gotten my moneys worth out of them and moved on to another tool to replace them with,Thats the ballgame from where I stand, just a marketing ploy, others I'm sure have used it too their advantage I'm sure,but downtime is downtime I can ill afford. Thats why I have 2 of everthing in case of breakdowns,

2 Of everything Tommy

Comment

• woodturner
                Veteran Member
                • Jun 2008
                • Western Pennsylvania
                • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by sweensdv
                Nit picky maybe but to say that the Limited Lifetime Service Agreement is a lifetime warranty is incorrect. It's not a warranty, they do have a 3 Year Warrenty, but it is a no charge service agreement. Two completely different things that at times can look similar.
                What differences do you perceive between the Lifetime Service Agreement and a Limited Lifetime Warranty?

They seem to cover essentially the same things, and as written, the LSA meets the legal requirements for a "warranty" in my state.

I'm just curious what others see as the difference, since the LSA and a LLW seem to be the same thing.
                --------------------------------------------------
                Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• sweensdv
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • WI
                  • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

The difference between the LLSA and a Limited Lifetime Warranty is that in order to receive the benefits of the LLSA one must actually sign-up for the service agreement. No sign-up no coverage, period!

Comment

• cwsmith
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2005
                    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                    • BT3100-1

The old Ridgid "Lifetime Warranty" covered defects in material and workmanship. That would cover parts that might break but should not have (material failure). It covers parts that do not fit correctly (poor threads, taper fit, wrenched track, jammed chuck, cover latches, cracked housings, electrical shorts, etc.) It also covers poor workmanship, in that bent parts, poor machining, binding, etc. may be found at some point after purchase, assembly, and use.

However, it does NOT cover any parts which the service center or other Ridgid representative may deem damaged due to wear; either natural wear or wear that may result from inattentive action on the part of the owner.

The Ridgid-brand products produced by TTI, have a 3-year warranty "against defects in material and workmanship" (which covers the same criteria as the old "Lifetime" warranty).

BUT, with proper registration into the "Limited Lifetime Service Agreement" (which is TTI's, not Emerson Electric who owns the Ridgid brandname), the tool is not only covered against defects in material and workmanship, but also covers many (but not all) "wear" items. Under the LLSA for example, the motor is covered. Motors are NOT covered under the old "Lifetime Warranty" as it would be darn hard to prove that any failure wasn't caused by wear!

A good example of the limits of the "Lifetime Warranty" are Emerson's limitations on Ridgid shop vacs which they make (not a TTI product). If the brushes wear out, the "lifetime" of the product is deemed to be over. Everything else about the vac may be perfect in every way, including the motor winding, container, attachments, etc.... BUT, Emerson considers that the motor brushes are the determining factor of "life" for that particular product. When they reach their limit and the motor stops, so stops the "lifetime warranty"!

The LLSA even covers batteries and chargers and we all know that batteries are exceptionally "limited" with a rather short two or three year life cycle. But under the LLSA, TTI will replace those batteries and will continue to replace them as long as the new serial numbers are registered into the LLSA system (batteries are the primary reason I go after the LLSA).

BUT, the LLSA is only offered if you properly register (and then follow through to make sure they have "registered" your info). It is a "AGREEMENT" instead of a "warranty" in that you must agree to registration, and in return, TTI will agree to provide the stipulated service. You don't "agree", then they don't "agree" and you don't get the coverage!

Many companies have specific reasons for wanting to track customers and thier purchases. They often have some kind of encentive for you to register your product purchase. In the case of TTI's "Ridgid-branding", I think it is largely a market ploy, simply because they were in 2003 introducing a whole new product line and wanted us to buy into it and to help with that decision, they offered the LLSA for a very limited time.

From early 2004 through mid-2005 there was no LLSA offered. But it was re-introduced in late spring of 2005, IIRC and it has been offered ever since. There is certainly a lot of complaints about the LLSA, it's value, why it's so difficutl, why it takes so long, and why there are so many so-called "lost registrations". Service, mostly due to parts inventory problems seem to haunt the LLSA also. And Home Depot doesn't seem to help the situation very much either, as too many "orange aprons" mis-inform the customers about the details.

I hope this is helpful,

CWS
                    Last edited by cwsmith; 10-13-2012, 04:50 PM.
                    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• toolguy1000
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2009
                      • westchester cnty, ny

Originally posted by cwsmith
                      ........From early 2004 through mid-2005 there was no LLSA offered.......CWS
                      "Customers who purchased qualifying RIDGIDŽ Power Tools between Feb. 1, 2004 and April 14, 2005 may register those tools by completing the on line form at www.ridgid.com or a registration form (found at point of purchase) and also mailing in a copy of the store receipt to the address above. ....."

the above quote was taken from the LSA info linked by woodturner (link included here for convenience) :

there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• woodturner
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jun 2008
                        • Western Pennsylvania
                        • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by cwsmith
                        I hope this is helpful,
                        Thanks, your comments were very helpful.
                        --------------------------------------------------
                        Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

Working...