Clear All
  • David Q
    Handtools only
    • Jun 2012
    • Alexandria, VA USA
    • BT3000

BT3000 for sale, burnt motor, bad shims

Hi all,
    I am brand new here. I signed up for one reason, to see if I could sell this saw.
    I am sorry if I am violating any forum rules by posting this. I am not a spammer or a dealer and I had never even heard of this forum until I was trying to find out how to fix this saw. If I am stepping on any toes by posting this, I sincerely apologize.

I am not here to rip anybody off, I would just like to sell this saw to someone who knows what to do with it and will appreciate just how nice of a saw it is.
    I love this saw and it hurts to get rid of it. I have never used it commercially. I have used it for doing work on my own house. It has been used lightly/moderately for ripping blocking and an occasional hobby project, and only a few times a year. Other than that it sits in my shed covered with plastic. I'm not sure how long I've had it, maybe 8-10 years(?).

I am not a big hobbyist woodworker (I wish I had the time... the smell of sawdust is like catnip to me). Maybe someday after the kids are off to college I can actually build some furniture...

Why do I want to sell it? I was ripping some blocking for some crown molding in my sister in law's house, and I got a bit overzealous and was apparently ripping the blocking on the wrong side of the beveled blade Yeah, I'm an idiot. Long story short, I burned out the motor. I also discovered that the shims were bent in a curl and this is why I had trouble raising and lowering the blade.

After that, it sat unrepaired for about 2 years until I decided I need to get it fixed. After a long search I found a repair shop. They wanted $340 to fix it. Decision time. I found the parts that I need at sears for about $230 (+/_), but decided that because I have less space to keep it than I did, I would buy a smaller portable table saw and see if I could get someone to take this one off my hands.

Other than the motor and the shims, to the best of my knowledge, everything else is in good shape. As I said, other than the incident that caused the death of my sweet toy, I was reasonably gentle with it and never cut PT wood or hardwood with the exception of a half dozen oak stair treads.
    The fence is accurate, I have been able to cleanly cut 3/32 inch shims from 2x4s. Granted, my assessment of what constitutes accurate is probably not what a good woodworker's assessment would be since my work is fairly crude at best.

The miter sled seems in good shape. The saw has all the original parts with it. I never invested in any of the accessories, have never used a dado or router with the table or any other after market pieces.

Here are some photos. I am not sure if this way of posting the photos works, but if not, you can contact me and I will try to send them another way.

HTML Code:
    http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g254/jittrbug1/Ryobi%20saw/
    My problem is that I have never sold a single thing online and am not sure how to go about it. I have a paypal account, but to be honest, I've never received payment through it. I also am not sure how to go about shipping this thing. I want any buyer to feel confident, but I also don't want to be ripped off myself. Any suggestions are appreciated.

You can contact me at dquidas@gmail.com.

If you are serious about it, I can give you all my contact information.

Again, if this posting is out of line, my apologies, and I will be off to craig's list with the saw. I jsut wanted to give obvious enthusiasts a whack at this before it ends up beat to death in somebody's garage or in the landfill.

thanks,
    David Q

Q
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

honestly, between the shims and the motor problems this saw is a candidate for parting out.
    A working saw is probably worth about $150, a new replacement motor is more than that. A used motor at $50+ and $10 worth of shims and a lot of labor (major surgery) could put it right if the saw were free.

OTOH,assuming good condition,
    the rails are worth $20 each, the SMT + miter fence will fetch $25+. the rip fence $20, the aux table $20 or so. That's over $100 and you still have stuff left over.

eBay can be a hassle but there's some places that will sell for you or you can try posting here.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 06-10-2012, 11:06 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

It's hard to say which would be the best way to sell it...either parting out or as a whole. Once you start to sell some parts, you may be left with some that won't sell. Selling as a whole would give the potential buyer the choice of rehabbing the saw or using the parts. JMO.
      Your link: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g2...1/Ryobi%20saw/

Comment

• woodturner
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2008
        • Western Pennsylvania
        • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
        honestly, between the shims and the motor problems this saw is a candidate for parting out.
        A working saw is probably worth about $150, a new replacement motor is more than that.
        Agree, definitely a "parting out" candidate. Not sure what prices would be in the OPs area, but I have seen prices for working saws ranging from free to $100 in this area. I paid $50 for the one I bought about 18 months ago.

Might be different if these were antique or rare, but so many were sold that they can be found fairly easily.
        --------------------------------------------------
        Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• David Q
          Handtools only
          • Jun 2012
          • Alexandria, VA USA
          • BT3000

Thanks for the input gentlemen.
          I have given craigslist a chance.
          If nothing happens by the time the listing expires, I will try parting it out.

Meantime, nice forum! Haven't had time to do a LOT of exploring, but now that I know about the place and I'm a member I'll be poking around...
          I can always learn things to help any future work I will do...
          I have definitely learned a lesson with this saw... and I know I'm going to regret not keeping it, but I seriously have no space to keep and use it anymore. My loss...

Comment

• greenacres2
            • Dec 2011
            • La Porte, IN
            • Ryobi BT3000

It's a great forum. I stumbled in looking for BT3000 info and there is plenty of that here (LChein's FAQ alone is like a bible). But...there's a lot more woodworking info than BT3x00. So...if you're still making sawdust, keep checking in.

earl

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

you're getting rid of the saw, but the FAQ might be of use to you if you part it out, as to what fits what models.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• David Q
                Handtools only
                • Jun 2012
                • Alexandria, VA USA
                • BT3000

Gentlemen, thanks for all of the input.
                I sadly watched the saw drive away today... ended up with $60... hardly seems worth losing it for, but now I have room for my new portable ().
                Maybe after the kids are off in college and their bikes and skateboards and roller blades and snowboards aren't filling up the shed I'll have room for a real table saw again....

Be seeing you all occasionally... a lot of good info here.. now that I've found the forum, I know where to come with my questions...

David Q

Comment

Working...