X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kencraw
    Handtools only
    • Apr 2011

Final parting out of BT3000

Over the years, I ended up acquiring two BT3000's that I swapped parts in and out of. When the motor finally died (and I killed the other motor trying to replace it (Why didn't I come here to ask for help... WHY!?!)), I made the painful choice (after seeing the new Craftsman replacement that no longer had the 'it-factor' that made the BT3000 and BT3100 great in my opinion) to go in a different direction.

I parted it out and through craigslist and a garage sale I sold most of it. The only two things left I'd like to sell:

1 SMT ($40 + shipping)

1 Router kit ($25 + shipping)

However, I have a bunch of additional smaller parts that I have no interest in selling, but would like the members of bt3central.com to have a shot at getting before it ends up in the dumpster. I've never posted here, but I signed up as a member in the past and have valued the many post over the years both before and after posting.

I would feel good knowing that this community made good use of what's left. All I ask is that you pay for shipping. Here's what I have left (excuse any poor terminology):

-2 blade mount housings
    -2 blade safety guards
    -2 main table surfaces
    -1 good condition stand
    -1 rusty stand
    -2 sets of side/front/back panels
    -I think I might even have an un-used zero clearance throat plate
    -Most of the stuff in this picture:

You can see pictures of all of it here:

People interested in the two last items for sale get first priority. Local pickup OK (I'm in Roseville, CA) for those looking to avoid shipping. I'll be checking the thread for inquiries or you can e-mail me at:

bt3000 AT thecrawfordfamily DOT net

Whatever is left all goes to the dump starting with the trash collection on Thursday 6/14... gotta get the new truck in the garage somehow.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

I sent you a e-mail
    Loring
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

sent you an email about one of the hand cranks and the elbow.
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• All Thumbs
        Established Member
        • Oct 2009
        • Penn Hills, PA
        • BT3K/Saw-Stop

Dibbs on the metal crank, if it is available.

Comment

• mpc
          • Feb 2005
          • Cypress, CA, USA.
          • BT3000 orig 13amp model

I'm interested in one of the main tables, a set of the blade stabilizers, and one set of the blade spacer rings. Shipping will be to SoCal, zip 90630.

mpc

Comment

• rlreed
            Forum Newbie
            • May 2012
            • Tavares Fl
            • Ryobi bt3100

parts

I'm interrested in the router kit. Shipping to 32778. Roger

Comment

• rlreed
              Forum Newbie
              • May 2012
              • Tavares Fl
              • Ryobi bt3100

parts

also interrested in the blade safety guard if you still have it. Thanks Roger

Comment

• pelligrini
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2007
                • Fort Worth, TX
                • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by kencraw
                Over the years, I ended up acquiring two BT3000's that I swapped parts in and out of. When the motor finally died (and I killed the other motor trying to replace it (Why didn't I come here to ask for help... WHY!?!)), I made the painful choice (after seeing the new Craftsman replacement that no longer had the 'it-factor' that made the BT3000 and BT3100 great in my opinion) to go in a different direction.
                Sorry to hear about your saw. How did you end up killing the replacement motor? (if you don't mind me asking) and what didn't you like about the Craftsman 21829?
                Erik

Comment

• JSUPreston
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2005
                  • Montgomery, AL.
                  • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

Ken, I poked around a little on your site. Nice work. Wish I had seen your study ideas about 2 months ago.

I haven't had a BT in many years, but had to post on your work. What did your replace your saw with?
                  "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• kencraw
                    Handtools only
                    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by pelligrini
                    Sorry to hear about your saw. How did you end up killing the replacement motor? (if you don't mind me asking) and what didn't you like about the Craftsman 21829?
                    The problem I had with my failed attempt to replace the motor was I couldn't figure out how to get the motor off of the aluminum plate that mounts to the frame (and slides up and down in the housing). I kept trying different bolts to no avail. Eventually I tried a set, that when I tried it, the motor housing came apart.

Then I foolishly tried to take the replacement motor apart and fit the half that came off the first one, and I never could put humpty dumpty back together again, eventually cracking the housing when forcing something too much.

It was only after all that, including cracking the housing that I figured out the correct bolts. I felt pretty stupid once I did figure it out.

As for the craftsman, there were a few things I didn't like:

#1, price. I bought mine for less than $300 on sale. It's now a $450 saw, when it seemed to me that other saws had stayed about the same, even come down on the high end.

#2, black powder coating. I really liked the milled aluminum and the powder coating seemed like a guarantee to shorten the life of the surfaces.

#3, I was getting more serious. The BT3000 was a great starter saw, giving great flexibility with surprisingly good precision. But as I got better I saw where it wasn't as precise as a cast-iron saw, particularly in the way it would flex when working with larger material.

JSUPreston,

I ended up buying a Steel City full-cast iron top saw, the 35990c. I got it for $600 on sale and it was by far the cheapest full cast-iron top saw with some nice features (table seams are in the miter slot, mobile base included, etc.) The big drawback from the BT3000 was the lack of an integrated router table, something critical for my space constrained shop (I have to get a Minivan, a small double-cab truck and a power boat, along with all my shop stuff, into a 3 car garage). I ended up making a router table attachment for the saw that some day I hope to post pictures on my website about that project.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

... The big drawback from the BT3000 was the lack of an integrated router table, something critical for my space constrained shop (I have to get a Minivan, a small double-cab truck and a power boat, along with all my shop stuff, into a 3 car garage). I ended up making a router table attachment for the saw that some day I hope to post pictures on my website about that project.

Put a swim platform on your boat; when on the trailer it will be about the right height to make a router table out of it. Couple of T-tracks and a fence and a router plate, you're all set to rout 'n ski!
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• pelligrini
                        Veteran Member
                        • Apr 2007
                        • Fort Worth, TX
                        • Craftsman 21829

Still sorry about your motor tribulations.

#2, black powder coating. I really liked the milled aluminum and the powder coating seemed like a guarantee to shorten the life of the surfaces.
                        #1 - Understood about the price. I think it is a bit high too.

#2 - I like the powder coated & flat tops of the 21829 over the milled Ryobi. The powder coating keeps the dark marks of the alum. off my wood. I have a couple Ryobi accessory tables and I hate waxing them, well, I just hate getting the wax out of the grooves.

#3 - Understood, I'd love to get someting bigger and in iron, but the portablility of my 21829 is way too important to me at the moment. Maybe if I can ever have a bigger shop someday.
                        Erik

Comment

• rmurray000
                          Handtools only
                          • Sep 2009
                          • Orlando, FL
                          • Ryobi BT3100

I was wondering if you still have the Router Accessory Table. If you do I want to purchase it from you ASAP.
                          Thank you
                          Ron Murray
                          407-399-1225

Comment

• Nirmal Jain
                            Forum Newbie
                            • May 2007

Hello,

I am interested in the router kit and a on/off switch (green and red buttons)
                            Let me know if you still have the router kit.

Thank you

Nirmal Jain
                            nirmal@umn.edu

Comment

• Black wallnut
                              cycling to health
                              • Jan 2003
                              • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                              • BT3k 1999

The OP has not been back since June 7th. Thread closed.
                              Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

Working...