• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kirkroy
    Established Member
    • Feb 2007
    • Brunswick, MD

Craftsman 6 1/8" benchtop jointer - $150

I need to make room for the Jet that I just bought. So the benchtop jointer must go...

Jointer, 2 push blocks, and a spare set of blades (needing sharpening). New blades are installed. See full description here:
    http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00921788000P

Located in Brunswick, MD. Local pickup only.
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

If you were in AZ I might have taken you up on this as I am looking for a used tabletop jointer. I would love a full size one but just dont have the room.

Can you tell me how this one has worked for you? I have heard lots of reports that with such a small table they are not really worth the effort. I can currently joint on my router table and face joint on the planer.

I was hoping that a small jointer would make my life simpler.

Your thoughts and experience would be appreciated.

Jon
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com

Comment

• kirkroy
      Established Member
      • Feb 2007
      • Brunswick, MD

The little jointer works great for me on boards up to about 24" but, yeah, the short bed makes it difficult to do much with longer boards. I couldn't manage to flatten longer twisted or bowed boards and edge jointing was tough for me too (always screwing up the end). My current project has some longer pieces and, with my skills and the short bed, I couldn't flatten them on the little jointer. The 46" long bed on the Jet is much easier to handle and almost feels like cheating in comparison.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

I think boards work well on those tabletop jointers up to about 48". I had a Delta JT160 which was similar.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• kirkroy
          Established Member
          • Feb 2007
          • Brunswick, MD

Originally posted by LCHIEN
          I think boards work well on those tabletop jointers up to about 48". I had a Delta JT160 which was similar.
          That's where the "my skills" part comes in. I have done boards up to about 42" but getting a straight edge had more to do with luck than anything else. I'm probably a bit impatient with the board squaring part of projects...

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

I will say the big cast iron jointers are also easier to tune up.
            The Delta benchtop I had you could adjust the knives relative to the outfeed table and that was it.
            On the cast iron floor-standing unit you can adjust the knives relative to the outfeed table and THEN you can adjust the outfeed table up and down a bit. That turned out to be the trick to aligning it, perfectly, for me.
            Yes, I could have eventually readjusted all the knives again, but it's much easier making the one adjustment.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...