X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JTimmons
    • Feb 2005
    • Denver, CO.
    • Grizzly 1023SLX, Ryobi BT3100

That's cool Sarge, I was kidding (forgot to throw the smiley in there). I don't have the funds right now to start any other projects, but I have been promised in a year I will be able to do so, I'll make sure to keep you in mind.
    I see you all carry some Olds 442 parts, if I can find one you might be hearing more from me than you like.
    "Happiness is your dentist telling you it won't hurt and then having him catch his hand in the drill."
    -- Johnny Carson

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2005
      • York, PA, USA.

UPS is a good bit cheaper on most domestic packages and the limited Canadian experience showed that it was cheaper as well. They have a much better package handling damage rate than any other carrier. You get a tracking number and $100 of insurance for free, even with ground. If someone accidentally sends a UPS package to your PO Box, they will track you down and deliver the next day (happended this week).
      IMHO, UPS is much more solid than USPS.

Comment

• steve-norrell
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2006
        • The Great Land - Alaska
        • BT3100-1

Ah, another chance for my favorite rant.

I guess my rant is that the companies offer free shipping to all the smaller states on the mainland but don't even discount the shipping costs for Alaska and Hawaii. Presumably, it doesn't cost any more to ship something to Seattle whether it is staying in the Northwest or going on to Alaska. I believe that most of us would be willing to pay the difference, but we get p----d off when there is no consideration at all.

My theory is that the folks who set those policies are jealous because they don't live here.

I have had good luck with both UPS and USPS Priority mail. UPS Air is quick but expensive; UPS Ground is, I was told, shipped by truck to, and from, the West coast and then by air to Alaska. USPS First Class and USPS Priority is usually pretty quick -- within a few days. USPS Parcel Post is long and slow -- up to a few weeks.

I am old enough to remember when extra shipping was charged for delivery west of the Mississippi, the Rocky Mountain States, and / or the West coast. But that was a long time ago. (Anyone else remember that insult?) So maybe things will change.

I just got back from a trip down to America and had a suitcase filled with loot from Woodcraft as part of my luggage. Saved shipping costs.

Regards, Steve

Comment

• Kristofor
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2004
          • Twin Cities, MN
          • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

For the big companies I would guess that they've "done the math" to decide if it's worth while to care about the (comparatively) smaller markets that may or may not have additional requirements for service. If there were as many folks in Alaska as California I imagine they’d do a better job of treating you right. The distance does play a role too of course, but if we assume they’re passing those costs along it should be a wash.

Now Canada does have almost the same population as California, but they use foreign currency (not much of an issue with electronic payment), and require special paperwork to ship goods across the border. I suspect businesses find one way that works and requires little hassle (regardless of the cost), and decide it’s not worthwhile to look farther. Maybe breed faster or add a loose border with a less developed nation to help grow your market, it's worked for us

For personal sellers, it may just be the hassle factor. I’ll buy books off of ebay for $1 each after shipping, but there’s no way I’m going to sell them as the time to list, package, hit the post office and ship makes it a negative value activity.

For something of sufficient value, it’s may be worth taking the time to figure out what the shipping costs/requirements are to reach “exotic” locales (even if the cost is the same like USPS to Alaska). However, it’s only really of value if there is not likely to be another buyer living somewhere "normal" as the effort to learn about the costs has an implied cost too. (Your education campaign, like this thread, can help here)

It’s a sad deal I suppose for folks living in those locales since they’re suffering from the ignorance/laziness of others, but it’s hard to argue against the path of least resistance and think you'll have much luck...
          Last edited by Kristofor; 03-15-2007, 05:55 PM.

Comment

• JeremyM
            Established Member
            • May 2004

We send packages via UPS all the time. It is a bit of a hassle going to Canada, but doable. We will only accept credit card payment for all materials. UPS makes it a little easier, but you still have to work on the paperwork and such.

I can attest, if you are a small potatos biz, then it sometimes isn't worth the hassle.

Just my opinion.

Comment

• Brian G
              • Jun 2003
              • Bloomington, Minnesota.
              • G0899

I'm still trying to figure out who all the "you people" are. John had the good grace to apologize tactfully. Perhaps it's a good thing he didn't make his offer for local pickup only.
              Brian

Comment

• JSCOOK
                • Sep 2006
                • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
                • Ryobi BT3100-1

Originally posted by JeremyM
                We send packages via UPS all the time. It is a bit of a hassle going to Canada, but doable. We will only accept credit card payment for all materials. UPS makes it a little easier, but you still have to work on the paperwork and such.
                Shipping buy UPS to Canada simply SUCKS!!! ... UPS's brokerage fees, quit often as much as 40% of the content value is simply a rip off of Canadians ... and I flatly refuse to use them for ANY shipping, and even have passed up Ebay purchases due to only shipping UPS.

USPS works great as it directly crosses over to Canada Post and there is a flat $5 brokerage fee regardless of the content value ...

Now regardless of the shipping method, Canadians still have to pay taxes, which is to be expected ... but there are a lot of shipments I have been sent that don't get caught for the taxes or $5 brokerage fee
                "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn". by C.S. Lewis

Comment

• Hellrazor
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2003
                  • Abyss, PA
                  • Ridgid R4512

One of these days Canada will become another state and everyone will be happy.

Comment

• JSCOOK
                    • Sep 2006
                    • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
                    • Ryobi BT3100-1

Originally posted by Hellrazor
                    One of these days Canada will become another state and everyone will be happy.

Ah, my friend I think it may go the other direction ... resistance is futile, you will be asimmulated ... see here:

Florida to become the 11 Province of Canada?

"Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn". by C.S. Lewis

Comment

• steve-norrell
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2006
                      • The Great Land - Alaska
                      • BT3100-1

Originally posted by JSCOOK
                      Ah, my friend I think it may go the other direction ... resistance is futile, you will be asimmulated ... see here:

Florida to become the 11 Province of Canada?
                      Wait a minute! Trying to even the score?

When I was in Nova Scotia a few years ago, several folks mentioned that Nova Scotia almost became the 14th colony - - and probably would have if the British did not maintain a strong garrison in both Halifax and Louisbourg.

Anyway, we thoroughly enjoyed our visit to Nova Scotia and ALWAYS enjoy the drive through Canada from Alaska to the rest of America.

Regards, Steve

Comment

• Kristofor
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jul 2004
                        • Twin Cities, MN
                        • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

Originally posted by steve-norrell
                        Anyway, we thoroughly enjoyed our visit to Nova Scotia and ALWAYS enjoy the drive through Canada from Alaska to the rest of America.

Regards, Steve
                        Ha, now there's the pot calling the kettle black! Poor Hawaii getting the short end of the stick again!

Comment

• siliconbauhaus
                          • Dec 2006
                          • hagerstown, md

wow sarge works for yearone....any chance of a t shirt?
                          パトリック
                          daiku woodworking
                          ^deshi^
                          neoshed

Comment

• Gary L
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Mar 2007
                            • Forestburgh, NY
                            • BT 3000 and Porter Cable

I have bought and sold alot of vintage audio gear on that auction site.

I would love to be able to sell and ship to Canada. Sadly, it has been nothing but a nightmare to do so.
                            Apparently Customs has a habit of either delaying and or inspecting the contents of many packages. I go through extreme measures to see that an expensive amp or receiver is packed bomb proof and customs opens it, inspects, looses parts and then slaps it back in the box with half the packing material missing. The unit arrives much later and damaged 2 out of 3 times and it's not my fault at all.
                            I don't offer to ship to Canada but I still will if the buyer contacts me and is willing to accept the results.
                            I shipped 30 large units in the past year to the lower 48 with one damage claim in all. I shipped three to Canada with 2 damage claims and the third guy gave me a negative because it took too long during shipping--WTF!
                            I don't think it is as much a problem with us thinking you are not worthy to do business with as it is with the rediculous customs crap that goes on.

Gary

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2005
                              • Independence, MO, USA.
                              • bt3100

I bought a piece of software that was sold both in Canada and here (same piece for the region). It was oversold here, so I bought one from Canada (was to be sent USPS in the states). That was 3 OSes ago, and it still hasn't made it.

But when sending something up north, I learned that you can use the tracking number, till the border, then you switch to the Canadian post offices site, and enter it there.
                              She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Uncle Hook
                                Established Member
                                • Apr 2005
                                • Mountain Lakes, New Jersey, USA.

I work for a large corporation and we ship all over the globe.

Transportation costs are generally driven by weight, distance, country of orgin, country of destination, desired speed of delivery, and the type of product being shipped.

UPS now charges extra for making ground deliveries to US residential addresses and to US zip codes in remote locations. It generally costs more to make these types of deliveries.

The USPS post office would likely discontinue delivery service to many remote locations if it was making decisions, on how to best run their business from an econonic, non political point of view.

People located at residential addresses, in a remote locations, in other countries are forever destined to be at a delivery service disadvantage. However, these folks are frequently blessed with peace, quiet and great natural beauty of their surrounding land. Count your blessings.

Comment

Working...