• Show
Clear All
  • dramey
    Forum Newbie
    • Oct 2005
    • Soldotna, AK, USA.

"Shipping to the lower 48 only"

Rant ON:
    Why don't you people want to sell anything to us here in Alaska? Alaska is a State of the USA too. Some of these items being sold could be shipped USPS for $8.50 to Alaska. If it fits in the USPS box, it ships for $8.50 regardless of weight up to 75 lbs. I am willing to pay the freight, but I guess sellers don't want my money. WHY????

RANT OFF
  • JSCOOK
    • Sep 2006
    • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    • Ryobi BT3100-1

Originally posted by dramey
    Rant ON:
    Why don't you people want to sell anything to us here in Alaska? Alaska is a State of the USA too. Some of these items being sold could be shipped USPS for $8.50 to Alaska. If it fits in the USPS box, it ships for $8.50 regardless of weight up to 75 lbs. I am willing to pay the freight, but I guess sellers don't want my money. WHY????

RANT OFF
    Don't feel bad, they don't want us here either ... however we're not one of their own, but we'll gladly adopt ya's as one of ours ... just like we're going to do to Florida as everyone knows half of the population is Canadians anyways ... see the petition to make Florida the 11 Province of Canada.

FWIW, I never understood why lower 48 either ...
    Last edited by JSCOOK; 03-12-2007, 11:09 PM.
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn". by C.S. Lewis

Comment

• TheRic
      • Jun 2004
      • West Central Ohio
      • bt3100

Ignorance!! Most people don't realize how cheap it is to send USPS to places like Alaska, Hawaii, and a few non states. They get into a mind set of sending everything UPS, FedEx, DHL, etc. and forget to look at USPS for places like that.

I can only suggest that contact the seller and talk to someone there.
      Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• Tom Slick
        Veteran Member
        • May 2005
        • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
        • sears BT3 clone

I've always wondered what the other "upper" state is. LOL
        last time I looked at a map Hawaii was lower then all of states in the "lower 48". maybe they don't ship to Maine?

I don't know why people feel it is a hassle to ship to Canada. the USPS does it with no issues. UPS has a couple of issues but not for the shipper only for the receiver (some sort of tax?)
        shipping to Canada has not been an issue for me.
        Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

If yhou want "muscle car" parts.. I ship them to you till you run out of money! www.yearone.com

But.. they're coming UPS 2 Day Air unless you request USPS and if the part meets their shipping sizes. If you request it you are responsible if it doesn't get there and good luck tracking or getting re-imbursed with a USPS package which might contain a very high dollar part it gets lost..

We ship around 2000 UPS a day with less than 1% damage or lost a month. We ship around 25 truck shipments a day with about 12% average damage. We've been the USPS route in the past and tracking and filing a claim was made a lesson in frustration. It was just easier to "write it off" and re-ship another. That got expensive with high $$ parts.. so we decided if you want the cheap route with the not so good a track record handling.. you take the responsibility of finding it if it gets lost or damaged cause it was a no-win for us!

This is just why we don't use it as a first source and try to talk the customer into a more reliable method as we see it.

Hope that sheds some light on why they may not...

Comment

• LarryG
            The Full Monte
            • May 2004
            • Off The Back
            • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by Tom Slick
            I've always wondered what the other "upper" state is. LOL
            last time I looked at a map Hawaii was lower then all of states in the "lower 48". maybe they don't ship to Maine?
            Alaskans don't recognize Texas.

My parents live out in Wasilla, and this shipping thing is constant source of annoyance to my dad, too, when ordering parts for the airplane he's restoring (or some other project: he's always making or hot-rodding something). But hey ... Alaska and Hawaii have only been states for 48 years. It takes time for people to adapt to change.
            Larry

Comment

• Slik Geek
              • Dec 2006
              • Lake County, Illinois
              • Ryobi BT-3000

Originally posted by SARGE..g-47
              ...unless you request USPS and if the part meets their shipping sizes. If you request it you are responsible if it doesn't get there and good luck tracking or getting re-imbursed with a USPS package which might contain a very high dollar part it gets lost...

We've been the USPS route in the past and tracking and filing a claim was made a lesson in frustration. It was just easier to "write it off" and re-ship another. That got expensive with high $$ parts.. so we decided if you want the cheap route with the not so good a track record handling.. you take the responsibility of finding it if it gets lost or damaged cause it was a no-win for us!
              Excellent description of the USPS. I learned the hard way: if it is valuable, it's not worth shipping via USPS, regardless of whether you purchase "insurance". The insurance is meaningless if you don't get paid for a legitimate claim.

I got burned by the USPS. They destroyed a package (after taking 28 days to deliver it 1,000 miles). I had insured it, so I filed a claim. It took me hours of rummaging through receipts from the past five years to substantiate my claim for 14 items purchased over a four year period. Because the damaged package was at the recipient, he had to take my claim package to the post office so they could "inspect" the packaging.

It took several trips before the recipient could find someone the post office who would agree to fill out the paper work. And when they finished filing the claim, the didn't fill it out properly. Then they didn't send me any notices, even though I was listed as the person making the claim. The recipient had to forward their misdirected letters to me.

To make a long, painful story short: The post office did absolutely nothing right in handling the claim. I have no recourse because of their mishandling. The evidence is gone because the post office didn't process the claim properly. With no evidence, there is no payment.

The USPS bungled nearly every step of the process. I was given misinformation by clueless customer service representatives.

The bottom line is that the shipping anything valuable via the USPS is a mistake. If you don't understand why people "go postal", attempt to work an insurance claim through that organization.

Comment

• JTimmons
                • Feb 2005
                • Denver, CO.
                • Grizzly 1023SLX, Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by SARGE..g-47
                If yhou want "muscle car" parts.. I ship them to you till you run out of money! www.yearone.com
                Hey Sarge, is there a BT3 code offered for a discount?

Just thought I'd ask.
                "Happiness is your dentist telling you it won't hurt and then having him catch his hand in the drill."
                -- Johnny Carson

Comment

• leehljp
                  Just me
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Tunica, MS
                  • BT3000/3100

I too have a gripe with the USPS. My hometown is less than 2000 people. The USPS will NOT deliver in town to the street address. . . A PO Box is required. They return all mail that is sent with the street address without the P.O. Box also written. Most of the people at the local P.O. know me and everyone else in town, but that does not matter. Wrong box or no box number, doesn't matter, they are just following instructions.

Many companies will NOT ship to a P.O. Box but insist on using USPS.

Last year, I flew to Alaska for a vacation. Rented a car and left my prescription sun glasses in the car at the airport. I called the car rental and they had my glasses. They mailed them USPS but to my street address. Three weeks later, the glasses were back in Alaska as undeliverable even though I had been to the PO several times and asked the local post office people to check.

By the time they got back to Alaska, I was back in Japan. The car rental people were able to get my daughter by phone, and she had them to re-send to the P.O. Box. My daughter got them finally and mailed them to me in Japan.

When my mom died in 2005, I got a double whammy from the Mississippi department of records / vital statistics (MDVS?)and the USPS.

I ordered some death certificates, 10 overnight by Fed Ex. Of course that is delivered to the street address. The MDVS only sent 1 but charged me for 10. I called. The shipped 9 more. . . but unknown to me, this second time by USPS. Three days later I called back and told them that I had not received them. They sent them again. 3 working days later, I called back and asked where they were sending them. They said to my address. I asked how they sent them. They said USPS. I asked why - I paid for FedEX? They said I only paid FedEX once. I said I paid them to ship 10 via FedEX.

I saw that this was not going to get me anywhere, and then began to tell them that the USPS would not deliver to a street address; add the P.O. Box to the address. They would not believe me at first. Finally I convinced them to send it by USPS to the P.O. Box. Three days later, I received 9 birth cirtificates of someone else. I called the MDVS and told them. They were furious that I had someone elses birth certificates, acted like it was my fault, and wanted them back promptly. I told them that I would send them WHEN I received the proper death certificates. They told me that it was illegal to hold onto someone else's birth certificates. I offered to contact the owner of the birth certificates and send them directly to them, and also let the state papers know of the mess up. I got my death certificates in two days and sent the birth certificates back.

I went to the USPS post office and told them the problems and they still said No Box number, no deilvery.

I have to make notes in ALL CAPS to Amazon when I order from them because they often want to use USPS but with my street address.

USPS and government offices are A PAIN!
                  Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• TheRic
                    • Jun 2004
                    • West Central Ohio
                    • bt3100

Originally posted by leehljp
                    ....Many companies will NOT ship to a P.O. Box but insist on using USPS. ...
                    I too have a Post Office box, by my choice. I understand, somewhat, why they do it. Put they are limiting me from receiving things. The ones that get me are the ones that won't allow you to list a P.O. Box, but THEIR address is a P.O. Box!!!!! When ever I order something I have to find out how they are sending it. So I know which address to give them.

You would think you could put both on something, WRONG. IF you CAN put two address on something, then they still have problems. UPS, FedEx, DHL, etc won't deliver to a P.O. Box. Since a P.O. Box number is listed they won't deliver it. They think the address is the location to the Post Office, or one of those companies that sells you a PO boxes. The UPS, FedEx, DHL on this end understands (fair number of towns with P.O. Boxes only), it's normally the big city ones that don't understand.
                    Ric

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Morning Ric...

You are correct that you cannot send a UPS package to a PO Box. The USPS is responsible for that as it was by their chosing several years ago when they lost revenue on parcels to the competitors.

And you are also correct that it is still done in the small town venue where the local drivers knows he can get away with it in conjunction with the local USPS guys he knows by name and their families by name. But the trick is to get it by the originating large terminal with a P O Box number. That is where it is usually caught and returned to the shipped with in-adequate address.

We send a lot of catalogs, invoices, etc., etc. to our customers via USPS. For those that have a P O Box and physical address, we just put the physical address on the street address line in their personal account info and created another line below for Address 2 where we add the P. O. Box #. All shipping co-ollates generate the label with both addresses so regardless of the carrier we got the right address "they" require. In a town with only P O Boxes.. sounds as if someone is missing a golden opportunity to open a Mail Room with a physical address. ha... ha...

Regards...

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Morning JT..

Originally Posted by SARGE..g-47

Hey Sarge, is there a BT3 code offered for a discount?

Just thought I'd ask... JT

I'm afraid there is no BT3 code for discount at this moment, JT. But then again Year One probably has never heard of BT3 Central as they are not WW'ers but have discount codes for car club members "live" all year. And there is always a 10%Xmas discount from Thanks-giving till Dec. 31st. If you purchase over $1000 you get an additional 10% for anything over and if you purchase over $500 you get an additionla 5% stacked on. And there's always discount flyers that go out of marketing for 10 with a stack for various reasons. And them we pull up a computer list of those that have gotten a catalog and never purchased for a year. Flyers go out for 20% off to entice them to give us a try!

So.... what could be done to create a discount for BT3 posters that also have interest in "Muscle Cars" is the question? The first thought that comes to mind is that the "equator" is an imaginary line! So... based on that the answer is:.........

Call Year One at 1-800-YEAR ONE or 800-932-7663 between 2 PM and before 10 PM Mon-Thurs. EST and when you get the prompt for your parties extension.. hit x113 and ask for "Sarge"! If he is on the phone, leave a name and number (and be sure to leave an area code) with whomever you get on the automated distribution system and I am told Sarge will call you back.

Or you could just hit "0" zero for operator and ask if "Sarge" is in? If so and not on the phone you will be transferred (not likely as we do between 2000-2800 calls in a 24/6 operation a day) ... so leave a name and number and he will call you back...

Now.. when you get on the phone with this "Sarge" character.. ask him if there is any BT3 Central discounts currently in affect. The answer will be NO.. but I wouldn't be surprised at all if that "Sarge" didn't reach into his "bag of tricks" and ask you if you recieved the current non-buyers code of "dah-dah-do daa" and before you have an opportunity to answer he would probably say something to the effect of "I thought you might" and have the code already entered in the computer for the 20% ono-buyers code discount. They say that "Sarge" fella is a quick thinker and can talk even faster even though he is a southern boy. That's what them "boys" from Brooklyn say anyway... Just give him a call and see if he can back up what I just stated I think he might do!

Remember the equator is an "imaginary" line and discount codes are all in the mind of the creator of discounts. Minds cannot often perform magic they say. That's just what they say and it falls into the hands of the magician to prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt. ha.. ha...

Hope that anwsers your question satisfactorily, JT. :>)

Regards...

Comment

• TheRic
                          • Jun 2004
                          • West Central Ohio
                          • bt3100

COOL!!!!

I'm not even a car buff (or whatever you call yourself now a days) but I think it's GREAT. That Sarge guy must be one heck of a nice person!!!!

THANKS!!!!!!!!
                          Ric

Comment

• dramey
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Oct 2005
                            • Soldotna, AK, USA.

Sarge,
                            You can ship to Alaska using Fed EX Ground or UPS Ground also. We have had ground service now for 6 years.

Comment

• jstevens
                              Established Member
                              • Dec 2003
                              • Ardmore, PA, USA.

Originally posted by TheRic
                              Ignorance!! Most people don't realize how cheap it is to send USPS to places like Alaska, Hawaii, and a few non states. They get into a mind set of sending everything UPS, FedEx, DHL, etc. and forget to look at USPS for places like that.

I can only suggest that contact the seller and talk to someone there.
                              Ignorant as charged. Thanks for the info, I won't post ads to the "Lower 48 only" again.

BTW, I'm new at posting WW equip for sale on the net. I've made a few mistakes, and this is one of them. However, I'll learn from them and do a better job next time.

Regards,

John
                              Last edited by jstevens; 03-14-2007, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Working...