• Show
Clear All
  • MoldnMaker
    Established Member
    • Dec 2005
    • McKenzie, TN, USA.
    • BT3100-1

Mahogany: shorts 24"-30" $0.50 each

As I've mentioned several times before, but for those who don't know. I work at a hardwoods mill.

I meant to post this yesterday or at least earlier.

Tommorow at the mill we are going to be running 6 5/8" and 4 5/8" exit jams. Our customer has recently asked us to cut these to length instead of sending random full length pcs. They want 100" pcs, but some of the wood we cut this stuff out of is 11' long. If you do the math that's 32" of wood we cut off and unfortunately as stupid as this sounds this gets thrown in the dumpster and burned.

We will be running 200 pcs of each size and I plan on saving some of it. If anyone is interested in purchasing some of these shorts for $0.50 each plus shipping please contact me via e-mail. The shorts will likely range from 24"-30" since we will cut some off both end to square them up. If I get to run them I'll cut as little as possible off one end and may get a few 31"-32" pcs.
    I personally plan to cut off the thinner bit of two or three then glueing them together to make a table insert like the ones I've seen some members have made. The grooves are already there and its thick enough to be quite stable, but there are so many other things this could be used for too.

They are 6 5/8 " wide with 1/16" deep and wide grooves in bottom about 1 every inch along the length. They are 1 1/4" thick for 4 3/4" of the width then they have a step that reduces the thickness to 24/32" for the remaining width. For the 4 5/8 pcs except the thick part is only 2 1/2" wide. They are surfaced on all sides. Color ranges from pink to a deep dark red.

Here is a picture of the bottom of one I got last time.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Mahogpic1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	788628
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." by Albert Einstein
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

At first it sounded atttractive.
    There will have to be some work to mill this down - after the grooves are planed off and the lip trimmed or the board resawn, you'll end up with usable 1/2 to 1 bd-foot for $.50
    But it looks like (help me here ) that the cut-offs will weigh 3-6 lbs apiece. Shipping 50 lbs or approx 10-12 boards (from TN to TX) will be $28.44; that adds about $2.50-$3 each for a $.50 board.

Economics is not looking good @ $3 per 1/2 to 1 usable bd ft. considering the work and the odd sizes.

Am I missing something?

I suppose it's too late to get the boards cut to length (first operation) and then have the grooves and the rabbet added to the customers boards so the cutoffs will be nicer...

I'm still interested in maybe 20-30 boards but the shipping cost looks daunting at around $75. Am I right about the weight?
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-12-2006, 11:50 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• jdschulteis
      Established Member
      • Mar 2003
      • Muskego, Wisconsin, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3100

A mahogany table insert sounds so classy.

I did some math if this helps anyone else:
      • A 4 5/8" wide piece with cross section as described, 24" long is about 3/4 of a board foot.
      • Similarly, a 6 5/8" wide piece 30" long is about 1 1/2 board feet.
      • Mahogany weighs about 2.8 lbs per board foot according to my googling, or 2.1 lbs for my narrow/short example and 4.2 lbs for the wide/long one.
      In my area, full lengths of 4/4 mahogany run $7.50/bd ft, so even with shipping it seems a reasonably good deal. If I lived closer I'd grab a bunch.
      Last edited by jdschulteis; 03-13-2006, 12:10 AM.
      Jerry

Comment

• MoldnMaker
        Established Member
        • Dec 2005
        • McKenzie, TN, USA.
        • BT3100-1

But it looks like (help me here ) that the cut-offs will weigh 3-6 lbs apiece
        by LCHIEN

I weighed the pieces I have on hand that are 25" and got 3lbs a pc. As for cutting pcs off before primary operations. Sorry, no can do. If I cut it off and there is a flaw or problem with the wood that can no longer be cut off, because I cut it off to start with and recutting would make it too short my boss he no likey that.

If any one wants to pick these up instead of me shipping them thats fine. And if anyone wants some and knows they are going to cut the lip off anyway I'll be glad to do it for you free to save on shipping. As for the grooves you can alway just work them into the piece. (maybe)

I hate salesman.( no offense to any one that is ) If I want to get something I'll get it. If I don't want it an annoying sales person telling me what a deal it is isn't going to help. So I'm not going there.

I recenty shipped some wood and I agree shipping cost suck. I just hate to see the waste of this wood, so I thought I'd offer it. Do check on shipping and think about what you are going to make with it, if your thinking of ordering, because I would hate to ship this stuff and then have a fellow member dissatisfied with it.
        "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." by Albert Einstein

Comment

• Stytooner
          Roll Tide RIP Lee
          • Dec 2002
          • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
          • BT3100

Sounds like an excellent deal for pen turners, chess board makers and small project stuff. Not such a good deal for cabinet or large furniture makers.
          I applaud you for both saving the material and giving some members a good opportunity to add some decent stock at a low price.
          Complaints about the shipping costs should be directed to UPS, USPS, and FedEx.
          Lee

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

I didn't mean to gove the impression I was criticizing the deal.
            It's great to save nice hardwoods from being burned.
            I was just thinking out loud to evaluate the economics of whether I should buy a lot or a little. Obviously the shipping costs are the biggest,
            I think it sounds like moldnmaker is facilitating things with no other
            personal gain than to see the wood gets used.

I was personally thinking that I could make some nice boxes from that,
            something like 9x12x3 boxes are very useful for storing things, giving as gifts, etc.

Still curious if its african mahogany or south american/honduras mahogany.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• JR
              The Full Monte
              • Feb 2004
              • Eugene, OR
              • BT3000

Oh, man, I NEED this stuff!

I've got NAHM's Patio Trolley project queued up for a wedding gift for my niece. It calls for mahogany and, except for the four legs, is all 30" or less in length. And the thicknesses all work, too.

I'll PM you right now!

JR
              JR

Comment

• MoldnMaker
                Established Member
                • Dec 2005
                • McKenzie, TN, USA.
                • BT3100-1

Sorry guys got bad news. When I talked to my supervisor Friday I opened my big mouth and commented on what a waste it was to cut back so much Mahogany, he said " nothing we can do thats the size they want it and this is the size we got" But this morning he changed his tune and decided not to cut them back. We ran it all and shipped it all. I don't know whether to be sad that I wasn't able to get the mahogany or glad that he agreed with me on the waste thing.

I guess the old saying "don't count your chickens until they are hatched." applys here. Sorry to disappoint anyone.

I am just curious how the customer will react when they get this stuff and its not cut to length. If they complain that they wanted it cut to length, next time I'll get some, then post.

p.s. - LCHIEN, Just to satisfy your curiousity; I am fairly sure that it is African, since the price is a little cheaper and it is more readily availbale than the south american variety.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

thanks anyway Moldnmaker.
                  I was already dreaing of mahogay boxes. well, next time.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• JR
                    The Full Monte
                    • Feb 2004
                    • Eugene, OR
                    • BT3000

Too bad!

Thanks for thinking of us, MoldnMaker. I guess it was just too good to be true...

JR
                    JR

Comment

Working...