• Show
Clear All
  • Jim Frye
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Maumee, OH, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Masonry Cost...

Our neighbor is surrounding his new patio with a 3' high wall covered in stone veneer. Got me to thinking about the current building trend of covering the front of new homes with the stone veneer product instead of traditional brick work. When we built our home in 2015, brick work was $2.00 per brick. We weren't interested in stone, so we didn't price it, but every new home built in our subdivision and others are done in stone. My question is stone veneer cheaper than brick, or is it just a trend that will mark homes in a time frame in the future?
    Jim Frye
    The Nut in the Cellar.
    ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Yes to all!

Comment

• capncarl
      capncarl commented
      Editing a comment
      I don’t think the stone fronts on residential housing will last like brick. It may be different in your zip code but the houses I’ve seen with stone are plywood walls with metal plaster lattice ( 1/2” expanded metal) with the thin stone veneers attached with an adhesive mortar mix, then the joints grouted in after everything dries. The houses I am referring to were single family and duplex housing built as Marine family housing, I think they have a 20yr life expectancy for the stone work and shingle roofing.

The same stone facing look for commercial buildings is usually a regular concrete block wall (cmu) with the stones adhered with a thinset adhesive.

$2.00 per brick? I recall the rule of thumb of 8 bricks/sf of house, I assume this compensates for doors and windows. My house should have 24,000 bricks= $48,000.00 I think that is about twice what we paid 16 yrs ago, but considering todays housing cost that’s about right. …. I’ll restate that. The cost is about what the customers is paying, that doesn’t make it right.
  • Jim Frye
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Maumee, OH, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

I stopped by one of the new homes being built in the plat next to ours and asked the mason about the popularity of stone veneer on new homes vs. brick. He confirmed that stone work is much more expensive than brick today. He said the stone facades are a trend thing, not necessarily a cost issue. He did say brick work is starting to rise in cost, but still remains less expensive. It's all about the extra labor to install the stone facades. So in the future, stone facades on homes will likely date them, just like white window frames and white siding corners on homes with non-white siding.
    Jim Frye
    The Nut in the Cellar.
    ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• capncarl
      capncarl commented
      Editing a comment
      You never know what the latest trend will be. A new house built up the street from me is a 2 story Hardie Plank. Everything is white, bright white, corners, and window frames. The shutters are bright black. There are several push out room extensions that look like the drive through on a fast food restaurant. It has a shingle roof with a small shed roof on the front of the house what black sheet metal roofing. At first sight it looks as ugly as sin but it grows on you after a while. The pieced in sheet metal roof is a recipe for disaster as it is tied into the shingle roof on 3 sides. To top it off, all flower beds are filled with white granet stone… an has a few Holley plants too close to the house. Typical builder grade spec house!
Working...