• Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Outside AC unit dust filter tip

I hadn't noticed our outside central AC unit needed cleaning, nor had I thought of it until this week. I was shocked that I had not cleaned it since spring, when the temps rose above 80°. It was dirty with fine mulched leaves, grass fiber and cottonwood/dandelion fibers.

I took my time and cleaned it off well. Then I thought, is there any way to prevent this or make cleaning easier - since I have to clean it 3 or 4 times a year?

WELL, HERE IS MY TIP:

Yesterday, I was at Walmart and HF and bought the following:
    • 4 Magnetic tool holders from HF on sale to "members" for $1.99 each - at Harbor Freight (HFs magnetic bars are 18" and I only needed (4) 12 inch ones. Normally, the HF ones are about $4 or $5 now. https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-s...der-60433.html
    • 1 roll of fiberglass screen door screen $7.00 (price depending on the versions) at Walmart. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Saint-Gob...rcoal/17133579

I unrolled one end and used 2 magnetic bars to hold one end of the screen wire to one side of the AC housing. It held TIGHT. I unrolled the screen around to the other side and used the other two bars to hold the other side, and then with a razor knife cut off the excess screen.

I am not sure how well that this will work, but the fibers were larger than the small screen wire holes, and the screen wire should not affect the air flow of the outside AC unit. I just need to keep a close eye on it to keep it clean. I think it will be easer to clean the screen than the fins of the AC unit. On my AC unit, there is a 1/8" wire mesh in 3" squares that stand out from the fins as a protector/guard, and that keeps the screen wire standing about 1/2" outward and off the fins.

I am going to notice to see how long the fiberglass screen lasts (no big deal) and maybe use steel screen the next time, if I need it.

Opinions?
    Last edited by leehljp; 08-07-2021, 10:28 AM.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

When you cleaned the coils, did you simply rinse them off or did you use soap? I highly suggest spraying on a coil cleaner, then rinse. Careful not to bend the fins with high pressure water. Ever wondered why ac mfg’s don’t reverse the fan and blow out of the coils from the top rather than suck up all the yard debris?
    The screens should keep yard trash out of coils, but will still have to be cleaned. It’s not a bad idea to frequently clean the coils.

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by capncarl
      When you cleaned the coils, did you simply rinse them off or did you use soap? I highly suggest spraying on a coil cleaner, then rinse. Careful not to bend the fins with high pressure water. Ever wondered why ac mfg’s don’t reverse the fan and blow out of the coils from the top rather than suck up all the yard debris?
      The screens should keep yard trash out of coils, but will still have to be cleaned. It’s not a bad idea to frequently clean the coils.
      I learned a long time ago not to use even medium pressure on AC coil fins! I have some spray foam for coil fins. First though, I used a HF bench brush (very soft) to wipe the outer stuff off. Then sprayed it with the foaming coil spray that a reputable A/C man recommended to me to use a few years ago.
      Hank Lee

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

Suggestion. Do not put screen on the sides of the AC that will not be prone to lawn mower shavings and other debris. AC fans don’t handle constriction very well.

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

Thanks for the suggestion.
          Hank Lee

Comment

Working...