• Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Installing Privacy Fence Question

My daughter in Missouri has a 6ft privacy fence around 3 sides of her yard, with hurricane fence extending from the house on each side to the privacy fence. She has 3 large dogs that bark quite often when people walk across the front of her yard or on the street.

She wants to add privacy fence where the current hurricane fence is, 30 ft on one side and 40 ft on the other. The hurricane fence posts are not laid out so that they can be used for the privacy fence. IN the future, 3 to 4 years from now, she wants to have a 10ft by 20 ft work/storage shed in the back, and there is an old 500 gallon propane tank in the back for heating. That tank needs to be replaced, so the propane company recommends. Currently, they cannot get the truck in the back to do that.

Where the gate is - 15 ft back from the fence is a small concrete storage shed and storm shelter underground. This storage building is preventing us from installing a 4ft gate and 6 ft gate, or 8 ft gate as it still would be nearly impossible to turn once inside the fence and maneuver to replace the propane tank OR to move a 10ft wide storage shed in - in the future.

So My QUESTION: ON the other end of the house, is there a way to put a 4x4 post in a "sleeve" that is in concrete, and be able to remove the post fairly easy (with a little bit or work,) and take two 6x8 ft panels off (screws) to have access in special but rare situations?

This is the side of the house that is rarely used, so my daughter does not want a "gate" there. Pulling a post up that is set in concrete in my only other answer, but I would rather not do that. I can do it, but that is WORK!
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

I don’t know why you couldn’t use one of the square plastic mail box covers for a sleeve. Just don’t pack the soil around it hard or it might deform and be a challenge to get the 4x4 in or out.

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by capncarl
      I don’t know why you couldn’t use one of the square plastic mail box covers for a sleeve. Just don’t pack the soil around it hard or it might deform and be a challenge to get the 4x4 in or out.
      Duh, I just saw them on amazon about 10 minutes before seeing your response. I talked with my daughter about it as I was looking. That is probably what we will do. Thanks.

AS I think about it, I will put a couple of inches of pea gravel in the bottom, put the sleeve in and put the post in the sleeve (2 1/2 feet deep) plumb the post then put concrete around the sleeve and check the plumb.
      Last edited by leehljp; 06-28-2021, 08:45 PM.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• GrumpyDad
        Established Member
        • Jul 2020
        • Midwest
        • Ryobi BT3100, BT3000, Sawstop PCS

I like the Batman fence idea from the 60s TV version better
        Harumpf!
        GrumpyDad

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

I’d probably sink the sleeve flush to the surface, insert 4x4 and slip a couple of thin wedges or paint stir sticks between the sleeve and 4x4 just to be sure the concrete doesn’t squeeze in the sleeve where it is useless. One mail box post should make several sleeves.

Comment

Working...