Chaps? pants protectors for weed eating?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Chaps? pants protectors for weed eating?

Every time I use the weed eater, I get so much grass all over my shoes and jeans that LOML makes me take them off as soon as I walk through the house. I hate to use the weed eater for this reason. I decided to look up chaps on Amazon but they are too heavy and cost too much $75 - $100+ range and are made for chain saw crews. I don't need anything that tough and that expensive to do some weed eating around the edge of the fences.

Do any of you know where I can get some easy on and off "chaps" and a greatly reduced price for when running the weed eater? It sure would be nice to be able to take them off easily instead of having to take my pants off at the door! But I don't want to pay a hundred dollars for chain saw type of protection.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • cwsmith
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
    • BT3100-1

I faced the same problem with my old Craftsman "weed eater", my pants would be a total mess, so much so that they'd have to be washed separately. The boots didn't matter much because I have an old pair of 'glod-hoppers' that I've worn for years to mow the lawn. They are embarrassingly ragtag to say the least! After a few years I just started wearing ragged old jeans that I'd keep in the garage to change into when I mowed. After three or four wearings I'd brush them off, and then throw them in the wash all by themselves.

But what I did after a couple of years was to cut the legs off an old pair of jeans (no longer really fit to wear), and I cut them down the length so I could just wrap them around my ankles like long leggings. Cut the length so it goes up over your knees. Originally I just took electrical tape to hold them in place, but later discovered the Velcro tape that Harbor Freight sells and I just use that like a belt just above the knees. They're not particularly comfortable and certainly you're not going to be 'fashionable' , but it works. They do have occasion to ride down a bit, but my little lawn only takes me about a half hour to mow, so an occasional tug wasn't a problem for me.

I only used those for a few though, because the old 'weed-eater' finally gave up it's switch and I couldn't get a replacement. For the last four years, I've been using the HR trimmer, which is unbelievably cheap ($30). But it works quite well for me, and the lower guard does a pretty good job of keeping the grass and weeds off my pants. (The old Craftsman didn't have any kind of guard, so debris went everywhere.)

Hope this helps,

CWS
    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

I found some anti-snake type of leggings and also used for hiking on Amazon. I just did not know what to call them. There are several names, chaps, leggings, anti-snake bite and one other (gaiters- remembered) that I have forgotten.
      Last edited by leehljp; 04-15-2020, 07:26 AM.
      Hank Lee

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

Hank lee, found exactly what you are looking for. Similar pants have different uses so stick to the sports line of pants. I copied the header off an Amazon site, didn’t want to attach a link.
        Zipway NBA Men's Cleveland Cavaliers Tricot Tearaway Pants, Black.

Comment

• woodturner
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 2008
          • Western Pennsylvania
          • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by leehljp
          Every time I use the weed eater, I get so much grass all over my shoes and jeans that LOML makes me take them off as soon as I walk through the house.
          Maybe she just thinks you are cuter without pants ;-)

--------------------------------------------------
          Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

The tear away pants I referenced in my comment yesterday were found in a google search for “male stripper pants”. I searched that way because I couldn’t think of a more suitable search. I saw simular “tear off” pants and jump suits on some of our large factory building projects where the contractors had to wear tyvec type ppe but had to remove it every time they left the room. Tyvec ppe got torn up quickly when being removed so often, and someone came up with a source of tear off ppe but I don’t no the source.

All of the snake chaps that I’ve ever seen have been heavier than what I think you want, they are quite commonly worn here in S Ga. and the loggers chaps are even heavier.

When I weed eat, before I go in the house I just blow off the dirt and grass with a leaf blower and give my shoes a brush off with a whisk broom and peel off in the laundry room.
            Last edited by capncarl; 04-15-2020, 12:57 PM.

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

I like the idea of NDBA tear off pants. I have seen velcro / zipper "leg gaiters" and they look like what I need and don't look to be too heavy either.

Here is what I just ordered from Amazon : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
              Hank Lee

Comment

• capncarl
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Leesburg Georgia USA
                • SawStop CTS

I take it by your question of which chaps/ pants that you don’t weed eat in shorts and flip flops? It’s all in the art of controlling your cutter head so the string slings the debris AWAY from you! With that in mind all all you really need for ppe is safety glasses, gym shorts and a wife beater undershirt!

Comment

• leehljp
                  Just me
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Tunica, MS
                  • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by capncarl
                  I take it by your question of which chaps/ pants that you don’t weed eat in shorts and flip flops? It’s all in the art of controlling your cutter head so the string slings the debris AWAY from you! With that in mind all all you really need for ppe is safety glasses, gym shorts and a wife beater undershirt!
                  I am right handed but bat, golf and sweep and mop left handed, and hold my weed eaters like a left handed, so yes, I don't do that is shorts. It is easer for me to rotate the head than walk in a circle around a post or small bush. Weed eating takes close to an hour to cover everything well. We have a driveway that goes all the way around the house and a fence around 2/3 of the yard. Lots of trees and bushes.

That PLUS, I weed eat like I Paint - get more paint on me than the walls and same for grass.
                  Hank Lee

Comment

Working...