• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • newood2
    • Aug 2004
    • Brooklyn, NY.
    • BT3100-1

Zinc plated bolts and screws

Hello everybody, it's been a long time since then. I have a question. I have been searching for information on where zinc plated bolts, screws, nuts etc can be used.
    Most of the information that I found tells you where they cannot be used. And of course you get the comparison with galvanized, stainless steel, and so forth. But I have not found an article that says where you can use such hardware. For example, if I ask where can I use zinc plated grade 5 bolts. I'll get an answer that says you can't use them outdoor, they will rust. Does that mean I can use them indoor?
    Newood2
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Zinc plated fastners are intended to replace galvanized fastners that are being phased out due to galvanized negative impact on the invironment. Galvanized should not be used in locations it will come in contact with food. Indoors is fine for zinc. Most of the zinc and Galvanized fastners sold to get general public now days is not grade 5. You really have to have to look to find grade 5.

Comment

• newood2
      • Aug 2004
      • Brooklyn, NY.
      • BT3100-1

Here is my problem.I have a 16' x 8' room at ground level where the furnace and hot water tank occupy a 6'x8' section. The remaining space is used as wash/store room. The washing machine had a drain hose leak - over a long period I'd imagine - that caused damage to the floor immediately underneath it. I cut out the damaged area and found that a 4ft section of the 10"x 3" x 20' joist was rotted out.
      I want to sister it with a piece of 2"x10"x8' using 3/8" hex head grade 5 bolts which I can get only in zinc plated. I don't worry about water damage in the future as I will replace the floor with ceramic on top of wonder board on top of 3/4 plywood and seal the perimeter.
      i should be able to use zinc plated bolts.

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

I wouldn't spend the extra money to get grade 5. Grade 3 3/8 will be more than than enough. For jobs like that where I need long bolts and appearance is not an issue I'll grab a piece of all threaded rod and cut it to length and put a washer/nut on both ends. A problem with standard bolts and woodworking is the threaded length. A,lot of times you want to be able to pull two boards together, maybe it is a warped board or whatever, and there is not enough thread on the bolt, not a problem with all thread. A 10' piece of 3/8-16 zinc is $6-7, and if you insist on grade 5 you can probably get it at Fastenal.

Comment

Working...