• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Grilling with natural gas

I must not be searching right but I didn't see a thread for this topic.

I have a stainless steel gas grill that is almost 10 years old. Outside looks fine but the metal guts are rusted out. I replaced the burners recently as well as some of the flame arrestors but I think it's time for it to go.

I want to get a Weber Spirit E-310. Really good reviews, etc, but new they are $500. There are a few used ones in my area on CL, but they've all been converted to natural gas.

As luck would have it, my meter is right in the area where my current grill is--safe distance away. So two questions. If you paid a plumber/gas fitter to do this for you, how much did you pay? Was your grill as hot as it was when you used propane?

And for you guys that say, go charcoal, I have a Big Green Egg and love it, but need the convenience of gas sometimes for after work cooking or parties.

Thanks
    Paul
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

I had natural gas at a previous house and installer a NG grill. One month we received a couple hundred dollar gas bill. Short story, someone turned the grill on and left it on, for a month!
    I couldn't tell the difference in NG or propane, heat or cooking ability.

Comment

• Doctor Jeff
      Forum Newbie
      • Mar 2016
      • Omaha NE
      • Sawstop contractor saw 2016

We got a Brinkmann grill from Home Depot that's 5 burners plus a side burner and smoking unit. We got it because it could be converted to NG, but we haven't done it because it would cost $100-150 to revise the outside gas line so it could be used.

I like the Brinkmann--cost ~$350 IIRC. Other people may have a different opinion, but to me $300-400 is a good price point for a decent grill that will last a few years. I personally don't think it's worth the trouble of replacing a lot of parts, though I keep it covered and try to clean out the grease every couple of months or so.

Comment

• JimD
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2003
        • Lexington, SC.

I have a Weber on propane. I don't have gas in my area. My Weber is ~5 years old and has needed nothing. The spark igniter doesn't always work quickly on the burner I use the most but if I ignite the next one, it does. Grease goes mostly to a aluminum pan you throw away. I had other grills before the Weber but not a Brinkmann. I bought the Weber after talking to a coworker who had one over 10 years. He had to buy a few parts but it was still functional. I think a Weber is worth it. But there may also be other good brands. I like the fact that it has a thermometer that seems pretty accurate. I have warmed a pre-cooked turkey on it for Thanksgiving several times (we have a really small oven).

Comment

• vaking
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2005
          • Montclair, NJ, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3100-1

I have been using NG grill for many years, I am on my second grill now. The first was Australian made Legend, I used it for many years but everything comes to an end. That manufacturer is no longer available in US so I switched to Charbroil True Red (Infrared Grill). Also works well. As for getting hot enough and conversion process. Propane gives more energy than NG when burning plus pressure in the propane tank is several times higher than pressure in gas line. Because of this you need bigger supply of NG than propane. Conversion kits are basically new set of orifices that allow more gas to reach the burner. Plus some kits also include flexible hose and fittings to connect NG instead of the regulator and tank. Once conversion is done - NG grill gets just as hot as LP. Unfortunately I can't help you with cost of plumbing work. I had NG hook up for grill from the moment I bought the house. When I bought Legend grill I just called manufacturer, they sent me orifices. Hose and fittings I got myself at Big Orange and hooked it up myself.
          Alex V

Comment

• atgcpaul
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2003
            • Maryland
            • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by vaking
            Unfortunately I can't help you with cost of plumbing work. I had NG hook up for grill from the moment I bought the house. When I bought Legend grill I just called manufacturer, they sent me orifices. Hose and fittings I got myself at Big Orange and hooked it up myself.

These used grills already have the hose for NG. It doesn't sound like you can just plug and play between manufacturers for the hookup to the quick connect to your house?

Comment

• atgcpaul
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2003
              • Maryland
              • Grizzly 1023SLX

Got one plumber coming out the morning of the 27th to give me a quote. Based on that, may stick with propane or not. I probably use just 4 tanks a year.

Comment

• sailor55330
                Established Member
                • Jan 2010

I have a Weber summit that is NG. Previously, I had a propane Charbroil. My parents have had a Weber propane for years. In my opinion, propane is a little hotter, but not significantly so. My current ng Weber will allow me to control temperatures a low as 200 and I have seen a sustained 625 (but there is no need to ever cook that high). I would not worry about the cooking differences in ng vs propane. As far as a hookup, I did that myself which involved nothing more that some copper tubing from the basement and a few flare fittings. The grill came with a quick-disconnect to put on the gas line itself. I stubbed the connection just outside the wall under the deck and the grill has bout 10ft of flex hose to make the connection from the factory.

Speaking only for Weber, I do know this---you can convert from propane to NG, but you cannot convert from NG to propane. I talked to a Weber sales representative and he confirmed this last weekend (we may be moving at some point and wanted to see if the grill could be converted). They cite safety reasons for this.

As far as gas grills go, Weber is a Cadillac---they are hard to beat. Expensive, yes, but they come with a 10year burner guarantee---total replacement. I have never seen anyone kill a Weber in less than 15 years. I like them, but you will pay for them.

My favorite reason for NG vs Propane? It's simple, I never run out of NG and never have to mess around with filling/changing tanks.

Good Luck!

Comment

• leehljp
                  Just me
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Tunica, MS
                  • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by sailor55330
                  My current ng Weber will allow me to control temperatures a low as 200 and I have seen a sustained 625 (but there is no need to ever cook that high).

OH yes there is - Real PIZZA!
                  Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• sailor55330
                    Established Member
                    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by leehljp
                    OH yes there is - Real PIZZA!
                    Touche

Comment

• vaking
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2005
                      • Montclair, NJ, USA.
                      • Ryobi BT3100-1

Originally posted by sailor55330

Speaking only for Weber, I do know this---you can convert from propane to NG, but you cannot convert from NG to propane. I talked to a Weber sales representative and he confirmed this last weekend (we may be moving at some point and wanted to see if the grill could be converted). They cite safety reasons for this.

Good Luck!
                      Makes sense. If you buy new LP grill and convert it to NG and keep all original parts - you can easily convert that grill back to LP. But keep in mind propane pressure in the tank is 15psi, NG pressure is 4psi. Converting to propane subjects grill to 4 times pressure it had. New grill from manufacturer is tested for it, but after you used it for awhile on gas - all warranties are gone and manufacturer wants no liabilities. If you still have parts - do it at your own risk, manufacturer will not support it and will not sell parts for it.
                      Alex V

Comment

Working...