• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JimD
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • Lexington, SC.

Chimney demo

My wife and I bought a lake house that is nearly 50 years old. We are the second owners. The original owner apparently did a lot of work himself and some of it is fine, some isn't. He didn't know how to install insulation, for instance, so the house basically couldn't be heated when we moved in. But we fixed that and a lot of other things. But his solution to the insulation was to heat with a Vermont Casting Resolute woodstove - a nice one. But it was in the kitchen and my wife hates the smell of a wood fire. We have a separate fireplace but it is going gas. So this weekend, my project was to remove the chimney for the woodstove. I had a contractor take the top of the chimney off when we had an addition put on last year. But we didn't want them doing the demo in the house - we were worried about the mess.

So this weekend I did the demo. What was left went through the first floor ceiling and down to the foundation under the house. Eight foot ceiling and what you saw was nearly 5 feet wide and two bricks deep. The actual chimney was much smaller, most of the bricks were just for appearance. I asked the wife first and she said go ahead. Neither of us realized the extreme mess it would make. I pulled out my HF rotary hammer, the 10A one, and started removing bricks. I could get to the stub of the chimney from the attack so I just pulled it down. The top two rows were a pain because there wasn't anywhere for them to go. The actual chimney was also more difficult because they had mortared those bricks really well. The shell that was for appearance was the simplest. I started Friday afternoon ad finished the demo above the floor yesterday (Saturday). My wife was very upset about the dust. She made me do the demo of the rest in the crawl space with plastic over the opening in the floor. That wasn't great working conditions for me but was a good idea. I found a bunch of electrical boxes without covers, wires in the mortar (deep), copper plumbing pipes in the mortar (completely surrounded) but other than that, it was decently made. Wiring and plumbing were in the way so I had to remove the last concrete block so I could come in from below.

The HF did a great job. The mortar was well cured and hard but if I could get a good angle on it, it didn't stand a chance. I figured out that removing the support for the bricks up between the floor joists would make them fall down easier. I got nailed a few times but most of the time I didn't. But it got done. The patch is in the ceiling wallboard and the plywood subfloor will go in tomorrow. Not sure if I will weave the oak or not. Original plan was for cabinets which would cover the messy area. But my wife is tired of projects, at least for now. I think she will relent but I may wait a bit before putting down flooring. I should have put up barriers to control the dust, it was really bad.
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

You poor thing, the worst job that I ever got volunteered for was tearing out a chimney. The mess was awful and the haul off was unbearable. We took turns working in the chimney cavity from the top of a 2 story to the ground floor level. No way could we tear out the chimney foundation. I was 20ish and couldn't imagine doing this at your age! Especially having to work around your wife and the dirt!
    capncarl

Comment

• JimD
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2003
      • Lexington, SC.

I finished today, except I haven't hauled the debris away. I want to chip the mortar off the whole bricks and keep them. So I will have a lot of debris to dispose of but I will hopefully add a bunch to my used brick pile. I'm not sure what I'll do with them but I expect to do something in the yard with them. I took out a few more bricks and a couple cement blocks to get the masonary away from the framing. I also finished getting the wires and supply pipes out of concrete. So I spent an hour or a little more with the rotary hammer. Then I put in some blocking for the floor patch and covered 7 electrical boxes that were open. Then a two layer floor patch (1/2 and 3/4 subfloor with 3/4 oak on top). My wife doesn't want me to make any more messes for now at least so I won't do the patching of the oak. If we go back to the original plan, a bank of cabinets will go along this wall and the will cover the bad spot in the floor. I'm going to have to be more careful of making messes in the house. We were going to take all the popcorn ceiling down but she has nixed that. I could seal each room up but that is a very messy job too. We did the great room (about 500ft2) before we moved in. Had to rent scaffold because the ceiling is 16.5 feet up. Wife didn't complain as much about that, but we didn't live in the house and cleaned before we did.

Comment

• tfischer
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2003
        • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
        • BT3100

You lost me at "hates the smell of a wood fire"

Comment

• ArtworksIII
          Forum Newbie
          • Mar 2015
          • Spokane Wa
          • Craftsman

Sorry to hear you had such a mess. I had to take each brick off one by one then rock hammer the mortar onto a tarp then throw the bricks near a pallet..Tedious to say the least reasonably clean Yup... Shouldn't have to do that for awhile. Spalling bricks is what our problem was. I researched and fixed/reseal it for much less than any contractor. 3 days work 2 days to re assemble. priceless
          Last edited by ArtworksIII; 09-18-2015, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Working...