• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Kitchen remodel continued

In my never ending kitchen remodel, I'm converting almost all the base cabinets to pullouts. One of our corner cabinets sits under a half wall topped by a breakfast bar. The other side of the wall faces our dining room. My wife had the bright idea of cutting a hole in the back of the cabinet and adding a pullout there.

From the inside of the cabinet, I drilled 4 holes in the corners of the cabinet through the back of the wall. Using a utility knife and level, I connected the four holes I drilled from the inside and cut out an exploratory hole.

I got pretty lucky with the Sawzall because I happened to be riding the blade just on the side and bottom of the cabinet.

I added new blocking around the opening.

And going by a user's suggestion on Woodnet, I quickly built a box that slips into the opening. 1/2" plywood box. Sides rabbeted to receive the top and bottom. Glued and stapled together. 1/2" MDF glued and stapled onto the back.

The base cabinet must not be installed square to the wall because my slip-in cabinet sits proud of the wall on the left side even though it is flat against the inside cabinet wall. I'll scribe the molding to account for that. Ultimately, I will add 2 pullout drawers and the opening will be covered by a door. Not bad for a day's work IMHO.

Paul
  • billwmeyer
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • Weir, Ks, USA.
    • BT3000

That is great.
    "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

Last week I nailed on the trim and painted it. The trim was the trickiest part. My slip-in box sits proud of the wall in spots so after milling up the trim stock, I made a 1/2" x 1/2" groove in the back of each piece to slip over the box. The pieces are also mitered together but my slip-in box opening was square so all the miters closed up nicely once I got the pieces cut to the right lengths.

The drawer boxes are simply 1/2" ply glued and stapled together. The bottom is also glued and stapled on. The staples blend in and aren't really noticeable at all. I used up some extra epoxy drawer slides since this cabinet isn't going to be used frequently. The door is built and just needs to be painted and hung but I'm calling this one done. Actually a relatively simple project and as you can see, we've already started using it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150712_160139_resized.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	787302

Paul

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

That's a pretty cool looking project!
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

Working...