• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

I really like to think of PEX as hose rather that pipe. Hose being that it will accept bends rathere than having pipe which requires all the fittings that you see in a lot of applications. If my memory serves me right I believe 1/2" pex will bend a 4" radius and 3/4" will accept 6". This bend radius allows using PEX without any ells, thus eleminating possible leaks and reducing the cost of fittings.
    capncarl

Comment

• LinuxRandal
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Independence, MO, USA.
      • bt3100

If PEX is more of hose, then I wonder, what do you do for plumbing that comes up through the floor? (example, kitchen sink cabinet) Pex to a shutoff, or do you have a riser out of copper, etc?
      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• bmyers
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2003
        • Fishkill, NY
        • bt 3100

Google machine: PEX stub out

Lot's of options. You can do copper, chrome, pex, etc..

Bill
        "Why are there Braille codes on drive-up ATM machines?"

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

The better builders in my area terminate the PEX in the wall to the back side of a shut off valve and from there they run the braided supply hose to the device. The "Builder Grade" builders (the ones that put the water heater in the attic) just shove the PEX out of a hole in the wall or floor and hook it to the device, ugly ugly ugly.
          While we are on the discussion of PEX, a lot of installations in residential houses use a manifold located in the utility room. This is good, and pretty much assures the home owner that the builder routed a continious run of PEX to each area. Otherwise if no manifold is used it is common to see Ts and Ells in walls and ceilings. Builder Grade biting you in the butt near the billfold area again! The downside of a manifold is pressure loss due to pipe size changes and valve constriction, but not enough of an issue to not use a manifold.
          capncarl

Comment

Working...