• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Any trick to moving big ladders?

I started to paint the house again after a long winter. I have a 28' fiberglass extension ladder. The thing is a beast and getting it upright and into position practically takes all my strength. I'm 6'1" and with one arm stretched upwards as high as possible and another arm down low trying to prevent the whole thing from flipping, it still feels like I'm about to lose control. In one area, I have to carry the thing up 4 stairs. That's fun! It's even more challenging when the stabilizer is on because it prevents the extension from sitting lower making it even more top heavy.

Am I missing something? Is there a better way? Before raising it up, I brace the feet against something solid and walk it up with my hands stretched upright as much as possible.
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

In the world of contractors there are usually at least 2 men handling a ladder that size and 3 men moving one on stairs. Sorry that doesn't help you much. I've never found an easy way to move a large ladder and have busted windows and knocked off floodlights with them!
    capncarl

Comment

• Stytooner
      Roll Tide RIP Lee
      • Dec 2002
      • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
      • BT3100

I would say it is not designed to be handled by one man. This is my big ladder. http://www.lowes.com/pd_251378-287-M...ers&facetInfo=
      I find it is a hand full for me alone to manipulate. 40 pounds.

I also have half of a 24' extension ladder. Bottom half. Top was damaged, so scrapped it.
      Then a few step ladders for various jobs.

I think this link is like yours.

It isn't the 60 pounds it weighs, it is the lever that 60 pounds has on one point load. You.
      The solid aluminum are a bit lighter, but not by alot.
      That is another excuse to hire the painting done IMO.
      Lee

Comment

• TB Roye
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Sacramento, CA, USA.
        • BT3100

40 year old son. I have gotten rid of any big ladders I had. have 5 and 8 ft step and 20ft. extension and a Little Giant, which my neighbor uses in her two story home. At 72+ I decided it was time to stay off roof and tall ladders. I have a single story so don't need tall ladders other than the extension ladder which is used to paint the Gable ends of the house and that my Son will do this summer. The other two step ladder are uses around the house as needed. If I were you I would enlist some help move the monster.

Tom

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by capncarl
          In the world of contractors there are usually at least 2 men handling a ladder that size and 3 men moving one on stairs.
          OK, now I don't feel like a total wimp. I have seen some guys working on a 3-4 story ladders at an apt complex. NO THANK YOU!

Originally posted by Stytooner
          I think this link is like yours.

It isn't the 60 pounds it weighs, it is the lever that 60 pounds has on one point load. You.
          Yep, that's the ladder. I do appreciate that it's built like a tank especially when near the top of it. It also appears I have enough ballast/weight to counteract the moment of inertia.

Originally posted by TB Roye
          40 year old son.
          That's funny because that's me at the end of this year--the 40 year old son. My Dad turns 70 next year and for as long as I can remember, I've been the helper--sitting on the end of the board he's cutting because he didn't have enough sawhorses, catching cutoffs, moving stuff, etc. Well, I can't wait that long for my girls to be old enough to help with this. Luckily, this section is the last area with stairs in the way. The last 2 sides of the house are obstruction free. I'm also planning to set up pump jacks, but I haven't decided if setting them up and moving them is going to be worth the effort vs just moving the ladder.

Thanks,
          Paul

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

At some point in all of our lives there is a time when we must say enough and pass the hard, heavy and dangerous work to those physically better than we are.

Comment

• lrr
              Established Member
              • Apr 2006
              • Fort Collins, Colorado
              • Ryobi BT-3100

We ditched the cheap DIY'er variety of aluminum ladder a few years ago, and bought a heavy duty fiberglass ladder when I had to paint walls in our living room, with 17 foot ceilings. I was shocked at how hard it is to maneuver fiberglass ladders. I had to have my wife assist me in setting it up.

For most of my home projects now, I use a Little Giant. Everyone should have one of these engineering marvels. While they will not completely eliminate the need for a big fiberglass extension ladder for some tasks, it easily tackles the majority of needs I have for a ladder for work inside and outside.
              Lee

Comment

Working...