• Show
Clear All
  • ironhat
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
    • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Opinions asked

What are you opinions between Dry-lok and hydraulic cement? I may have made a wrong choice given my predicament. We have need of redoing the landscaping so that we don't continue to have this problem. The problem with that is the nearly flat lay of the ground. That aside, with long or down-pour rains water enters a small section of the basement at the block-slab intersection, continuing upward one block.
    You old-timers on this forum are familiar with my major back and neurological pain disability so, this won't sound too harsh of me. Last month I coached my wife on parging on hydraulic cement on these areas and it looked good until 3AM last night. The water went around the water sensors and had been coming in for over an hour by the time she awoke with the sound of driving rain. Now I'm wondering if we should have used Dry-lok or a heavier coat of hydraulic cement. What are your opinions?
    Blessings,
    Chiz
  • os1kne
    • Jan 2003
    • Atlanta, GA
    • BT3100

While I like Dry-Lok, it's not nearly as good as hydraulic cement. I recommend giving that another try. Good luck!
    Bill

Comment

• ironhat
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2004
      • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
      • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Thank-you very much, sir. You are truly a scholar and a gentleman. On a serious note, I can't say for sure how thick she may have gotten it on so, yes, another coat of what is already on there is probably the best course of action. Thanks again!
      Blessings,
      Chiz

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

The problem really is outside. I fought water in the crawl space for years. The flower bed was softer than the surrounding dirt and caught all the water off the roof and funneled it under the house. I gave up on pumps and polly and diverted the gutter downspouts out a good distance from the house and shaped the yard a bit to shed water away from the house. Little problems since then.ll

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by capncarl
          The problem really is outside. I fought water in the crawl space for years. The flower bed was softer than the surrounding dirt and caught all the water off the roof and funneled it under the house. I gave up on pumps and polly and diverted the gutter downspouts out a good distance from the house and shaped the yard a bit to shed water away from the house. Little problems since then.ll
          +1

Our basement has been wet once. Rain pooled next to the foundation and found its way to the only entrance--where the water supply enters the foundation. Anyway, I extended the downspouts and haven't had a problem since.

Comment

• eccentrictinkerer
            • Aug 2007
            • Minneapolis, MN
            • BT-3000, 21829

Dri-lok is best for minor water intrusion. Hydraulic cement, to work effectively, must be used in a crack that has been widened - narrow on inside widened toward the back of the cut. This is based on personal experience.

I've never found a topical treatment to work.
            You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
            of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

• woodturner
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 2008
              • Western Pennsylvania
              • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by atgcpaul
              +1
              +1 (+2?)

If the drainage problems are not fixed, nothing will "waterproof" the foundation. The only real fix is to fix the drainage problems.

One option for a fairly flat lot is to dig a dry well some distance from the house and drain to that. A lot easier than regarding the entire lot to ensure proper water flow.

How high is the water table in your area? I recall working on a mission project some years ago where the ground water was about 1/2" below grade when it rained. In that situation, nothing will keep a basement dry, best not to build basements and maybe even to elevate the house above grade.
              --------------------------------------------------
              Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

Working...