• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hellrazor
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Abyss, PA
    • Ridgid R4512

Tell them you want a complimentary coolant flush at your next service. I give the tech a big DUH for missing the clamp but I also would give him kudo's for being 100% truthful on his own service report. He could have said anything to hide the truth. The service rep was the one blowing smoke.

Comment

• rcplaneguy
      Forum Newbie
      • Nov 2012

Ask for a few free oil changes for your trouble, too

Comment

• tfischer
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2003
        • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
        • BT3100

Originally posted by Hellrazor
        Tell them you want a complimentary coolant flush at your next service. I give the tech a big DUH for missing the clamp but I also would give him kudo's for being 100% truthful on his own service report. He could have said anything to hide the truth. The service rep was the one blowing smoke.
        He already got a free flush... all over the highway

Comment

• rfisher7381
          Forum Newbie
          • Dec 2005
          • Hudsonville, MI, USA.

As stated before, I would be concerned. Ask for an independent engine analysis which includes an oil analysis and a compression test. Overheating can damage the head gasket or possibly crack the head or block.
          Randy

Comment

• woodturner
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2008
            • Western Pennsylvania
            • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by rfisher7381
            Overheating can damage the head gasket or possibly crack the head or block.
            True, but that would cause obvious performance issues, so it did not happen in this case.
            --------------------------------------------------
            Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• crybdr
              Established Member
              • Dec 2009
              • Lake Mills, WI
              • Ryobi BT3100

I'm back home from Madison. I put about 600 miles on the repaired hose clamp without any noticeable problems. The engine is running as smooth as it did when I bought it in 2005.

For what it's worth, I scanned the tech report notes (it's been redacted to protect the innocent). Image attached to this post. I do cringe a little reading it.

I haven't had a chance to follow up with the service group - but plan to tomorrow.

They owned up to the problem, and fixed it. I'm sure after a discussion of my concerns, that I will be taken care of.

Thanks for all of the cool-headed advice. I've been trying to do the right things to keep this vehicle running for a long time - despite it's age, everything still works and it's in great shape. This is hopefully just a hiccup.
              Attached Files

Comment

• gerti
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2003
                • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
                • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

I am impressed by the mechanic who owned his mistake. Not so impressed by the service rep who appeared to be more worried about CYA and the bottom line, or he would have offered something to keep you happy without you having to ask.

Comment

• crybdr
                  Established Member
                  • Dec 2009
                  • Lake Mills, WI
                  • Ryobi BT3100

I would not be surprised if the Service Manager contacts me today. They have always contacted me for feedback (usually a couple of days after) on each interaction I've had with their shop. It's Honda's way of getting feedback.

It's always been A+, until this interaction. So, we'll work it out.

Comment

• woodturner
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jun 2008
                    • Western Pennsylvania
                    • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by crybdr
                    For what it's worth, I scanned the tech report notes (it's been redacted to protect the innocent).
                    He notes he checked it for damage and found nothing, so that should further reassure you that it is fine and no damage was caused.
                    --------------------------------------------------
                    Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• tfischer
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2003
                      • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
                      • BT3100

I'm even going to give the service rep the benefit of the doubt here. The first line from the tech says "the lower radiator hose came off". It's possible they glanced at that, in their mind thought 'the clamp came off', and that's what they told you, without reading the whole thing. I seriously doubt they wanted to cover it up if it was right there on the sheet plain as day.

Comment

• jdon
                        Established Member
                        • Feb 2010
                        • Snoqualmie, Wash.
                        • BT3100

Not to be too nit-picky, but when they said there was no damage, how extensive did they go- a visual check for scorching ? For example, are they certain that overheating didn't warp the cylinder head? A coolant pressure test might help make certain there isn't any leak into a cylinder.

That being said, assuming that it's continuing to run smoothly, and there indeed was no damage, maybe you can get the service manager to make a reasonable warranty in writing, just in case something develops in the (near) future.

Comment

Working...