• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Painting over rusty metal roof

Today I got two free gallon cans each of primer and paint from my neighbor to paint my metal porch roof.

Paint:

Primer:

The instructions say to use their Rust Inhibiting Primer underneath the primer and paint:

My roof just has some rust spots here and there and it's not really that bad. However, I can't buy their stuff locally and it's going to be $51 for a gallon after shipping.

OK, I'm probably being overly frugal (cheap) but I don't need a whole gallon; I just need to spot treat a few areas.

I'm sure if I ask them, they're only going to recommend their product. However, do you think I could use something like this Krylon rust converting primer?

Thanks,
    Paul
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

I used something similar to the Krylon from Rustoleum. I'll have to check the paint locker and see if there is any left to be sure which one it is. I did a small test spot on the roof of my '65 to see how it worked. Will try to post a picture of that this evening.

When the day comes to get serious about the restoration of the Chevy I plan to use a product called Rust Bullet on the frame and as a primer.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato

Comment

• frumper64
      Established Member
      • Feb 2004
      • Garland, Tx, USA.

I have used a product called POR when I was working on an old Corvair - the stuff is fantastic with the only caveat being that you have to paint over it or the black color will bleach out in the sun. They sell a "starter kit" for $22 that includes a 4 oz can of the stuff plus some metal prep and degreaser. I don't know if that would be enough for what you need, but you might want to take a look.

Jim
      64sedan_at_gmail.com

Comment

• tfischer
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2003
        • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
        • BT3100

OK I just have to ask this... how bad is your roof that your neighbors are giving you free paint?

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by tfischer
          OK I just have to ask this... how bad is your roof that your neighbors are giving you free paint?
          Haha. Well, I can't see the sky yet, so not so bad, I guess. Man, I wish all neighbors would be so concerned for my house. Maybe I should spread the word that I need house paint, too.

Our neighborhood has a listserv and someone posted they had extra roof paint and primer from their job. Just go pick it up from their porch so I did. I've actually never met the person, though. They live about 4 streets over.

Painting the roof is on my to-do list. It's pretty flat and only one story up so should be doable in a couple of weekends. I'll leave the 2nd story windows unlocked in case I paint myself into a corner.

Comment

Working...