X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JimD
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • Lexington, SC.

Why use that switch? My DW is activated by a wall switch. Works fine.

My wife wants a DW at the new house (the one we plan to close on next week) which is on a septic. She promises to not put big things (like watermellon rinds) down it. But I don't know. Seems safer to just not put it in and then it can't be mis-used. Comments?

I replaced my builders special with one of those units from Amazon. It works fine. I was a bit surprised by the amount of plastic but it is fine structurally and it doesn't rust.

Jim

Comment

• Cochese
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2010

Originally posted by JimD
      To say the electrics in our house are sketchy would be generous. Not that I necessarily think they are unsafe, but trying to figure out what does what in some cases is a real headscratcher. There are a few switches that have no apparent rhyme or reason. They don't control lights, they don't control outlets. There is one such switch near the sink that we have no idea what it used to do, because it doesn't do anything now.

For my case, using an air or fiber-optic switch is a much easier undertaking, especially if I use an existing hole.
      I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• toolguy1000
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2009
        • westchester cnty, ny

wouldn't it make more sense to just use a forstner bit?
        there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• vaking
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2005
          • Montclair, NJ, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3100-1

My wife wants a DW at the new house (the one we plan to close on next week) which is on a septic. She promises to not put big things (like watermellon rinds) down it. But I don't know. Seems safer to just not put it in and then it can't be mis-used. Comments?

I replaced my builders special with one of those units from Amazon. It works fine. I was a bit surprised by the amount of plastic but it is fine structurally and it doesn't rust.

Jim
          I was thinking about installing garbage disposal in my house but decided against it. I found information that it is a known troublemaker. If plumbing in your house is less than perfect - it will quickly let you know about it. I live in a house built in 1927, I am sure my plumbing is less than perfect.
          Alex V

Comment

• parnelli
            • Aug 2004
            • bt3100

Jim
            Mine eats silverware. I find out after the offending piece gets washed, put away when I'm surprised at breakfast that a once smooth spoon has a horrible jagged edge.

Sigh.

Comment

• Cochese
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 2010

Button arrived yesterday, grabbed a couple of small scraps and rigged up a temporary mount. Much better than trying to plug it in with wet hands.

I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• nickg
                Established Member
                • Jul 2007
                • Marietta, Georgia
                • Ryobi BT3000

That's a good idea. At first, I didn't understand why you'd need an external switch, but then I read your first post and saw the issue. Coincidentally, I just installed a new garbage disposal too. It was a replacement unit, so didn't have to start from scratch with a total drain system rebuild (I had done this once before with the older unit). But even so, because the new disposal was a little larger diameter, it barely fit into the drain pipe. New disposal is much quieter than the one it replaced, but it cost three times as much!

Comment

Working...