• Show
Clear All
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

Yet another deck thread

Well, since there's some ongoing discussion about decks, I thought I'd open this sub-topic. Has anyone used or have any opinion about the Rust-Oleum Restore product?

They make lots of claims about filling 1/4" cracks, 10x thicker than paint, good for wood and concrete, fixes bunions, etc.

I've done the paint thing on my deck, but have lots of concrete patio and driveway that could use a fresh look.

Is this stuff snake oil or does it work as advertised?
    JR
  • TB Roye
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Sacramento, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

Like the opinions also. Have the deck on my shop that need to be refinished.

tom

Comment

• Ed62
      The Full Monte
      • Oct 2006
      • NW Indiana
      • BT3K

I've never used it, but I've seen it being used on TV. It looks pretty impressive.

Ed
      Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

I helped a neighbor apply it to his 7 year old pressure treated deck. It's square foot coverage is exagerated. The neighbor figured it was like paint and could stretch it to cover, and bought 2 gallons. I think that he used 5 cans the first weekend and needed more. What I did not like about it was the ozz between the boards. The material is thick and creamy and builds up between the boards, kinda wants to bridge over, and has to be brushed down. No big deal because the sides needs coverage anyway, but just another step. In the 105 degree sun it dries really fast, and may cover more square footage on a cooler deck. It looks good and would recomend it over paint any time.
        capncarl

Comment

• os1kne
          • Jan 2003
          • Atlanta, GA
          • BT3100

I've seen it, but not used it. I've got a mixed opinion of it - the good is that it provides great protection, the bad (to me) is that I feel that it takes the "character" away from the wood.
          Bill

Comment

Working...