• Show
Clear All
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

Pool Installation

My main 'vacation' project is to put in an above ground pool. The hardest part was prepping the area for a good 'pad' to set it on.

The area was dug out with a backhoe/front end loader.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2 (640x383).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	494.2 KB
ID:	798458

After building a border from Trex decking I scored at 1/2 price the area was back filed and leveled with dirt, soaked down and allowed to dry overnight.

Name:	4 (640x383).jpg
Size:	502.7 KB
ID:	798459

To save $$$ the area was back filed with free recycled concrete slag to about 3" deep.

Name:	7 (640x383).jpg
Size:	452.1 KB
ID:	798460

I put down 2 layers of 6 mil plastic and was able to get some decomposed granite around the edges and along the seam to hold it in place before some evening rain hit.

Name:	IMAG0454 (640x383).jpg
Size:	202.6 KB
ID:	798461

After filing the forms with about 3 1/2 yards the decomposed granite it was packed down with a water filled drum roller.

Name:	IMAG0456 (640x383).jpg
Size:	330.6 KB
ID:	798462

The result is a smooth surface for the pool to sit on that should be fairly easy to keep clean of weeds and debris.

Name:	IMAG0457 (640x383).jpg
Size:	461.6 KB
ID:	798463
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato
  • BadeMillsap
    • Dec 2005
    • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
    • Grizzly G1023SL

That looks like a whole lott'a WORK! Impressive site prep.

Via Tapatalk on Android
    "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
    Bade Millsap
    Bulverde, Texas
    => Bade's Personal Web Log
    => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• chopnhack
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2006
      • Florida
      • Ryobi BT3100

I say this with all respect do: Pappy, you are too old to be doing that much site work!! Is this your third in a year? Clearing, forming and in this case just short of pouring You are one hard working guy, kudos!
      I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• eccentrictinkerer
        • Aug 2007
        • Minneapolis, MN
        • BT-3000, 21829

Congratulations! You and your kid's will love the pool.

I speak from experience. 25 years ago, after visiting the MN State Fair and seeing the pool displays, I decided that we needed a pool in our lower backyard. I'd never seen a wooden pool so I set about building one. I used six sheets of treated plywood and 24 pieces of treated 2 x 6 routed with a 3/4" wide x 3/4" deep dado (think 8 foot trammel for my P-C router) for copings. I used a commercial pool liner and had about $300 invested. (Three 3/16th" aircraft cables surround the plywood so the 40,000 lbs. of water don't go sploosh into the backyard.)

I've been waiting for years to tell this story, but the main reason I'm doing it is that you must invest in a 'salt-water chlorination system'. I used to go thru a couple of hundred dollars worth of chemicals to get the chemistry straight. Now I fill the pool with new water in the spring, dump in 130 lbs. of softener salt and sit back with a Margarita.

Ten years ago I was going to tear the pool out because the kids were grown and gone, but then the grandkids started coming and they LOVE it. (All five of them live on our block!)

I built a deck around the pool at the same level as the upper part of yard and my wonder daughter, Lynn, bought us a beautiful set of PVC stairs with handrails so Grandma can get into the pool.

This was very long way around to encourage you to use a salt-water chlorination system. You and you family will love it!

Intex Clear Salt System
        Last edited by eccentrictinkerer; 09-18-2013, 10:46 PM. Reason: Mizzpeling
        You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
        of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

Originally posted by eccentrictinkerer
          This was very long way around to encourage you to use a salt-water chlorination system. You and you family will love it!

Intex Clear Salt System
          Thanks for the suggestion, even if it is a little too late. I bought the pool off CL and the pump/filter system was kicking breakers. As soon as the deal was confirmed, this was ordered and has been sitting on the back porch unopened until yesterday.

Don, aka Pappy,

Plato

Comment

• eccentrictinkerer
            • Aug 2007
            • Minneapolis, MN
            • BT-3000, 21829

Originally posted by Pappy
            Thanks for the suggestion, even if it is a little too late. I bought the pool off CL and the pump/filter system was kicking breakers. As soon as the deal was confirmed, this was ordered and has been sitting on the back porch unopened until yesterday.

http://www.amazon.com/Intex-56681EG-...ds=intex+56681
            Good choice! That's the same thing only different. You'll be a happy camper next season.
            You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
            of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

• Pappy
              The Full Monte
              • Dec 2002
              • San Marcos, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 (x2)

We got the pool set up and the pump/filter in place yesterday. Picked up the salt and concrete pads for the support legs al Lowe's last night but they didn't have the filter sand or the HTH acid needed for the initial fill and conditioning.

Even though the pool base is packed and fairly firm the 12 support legs would still dig into it. The concrete pads couldn't be put in until the pool was positioned where I wanted it. That is this morning's project. I will find and pick up the rest of the supplies once the water is turned on.

Tinkerer, luckily the winters are mild enough here that I don't need to drain and refill the pool. Especially with the salt water system, I shouldn't have a freezing problem.
              Don, aka Pappy,

Plato

Comment

• Pappy
                The Full Monte
                • Dec 2002
                • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 (x2)

Originally posted by chopnhack
                I say this with all respect do: Pappy, you are too old to be doing that much site work!! Is this your third in a year? Clearing, forming and in this case just short of pouring You are one hard working guy, kudos!
                OLD?

Like I told my son several years ago, "When I can't swing my leg over a Harley or kick high enough to put a boot up your butt, I will tell you I am old!" Had to modify the Harley a bit, but I can still do both!

Actually doing work like this takes more frequent breaks nowadays, but it helps keep me in shape. Worst times are jobs that make me work in a bent over or kneeling position. The back don't seem to like those jobs.
                Don, aka Pappy,

Plato

Comment

• chopnhack
                  Veteran Member
                  • Oct 2006
                  • Florida
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Pappy
                  OLD?

Like I told my son several years ago, "When I can't swing my leg over a Harley or kick high enough to put a boot up your butt, I will tell you I am old!" Had to modify the Harley a bit, but I can still do both!

Actually doing work like this takes more frequent breaks nowadays, but it helps keep me in shape. Worst times are jobs that make me work in a bent over or kneeling position. The back don't seem to like those jobs.
                  Just checking ;-)

I hear ya, I don't know how those guys can set tile all day on their knees, stretching and then grouting...
                  I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• Pappy
                    The Full Monte
                    • Dec 2002
                    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 (x2)

I got the pool up, filled, and the salt and acid added last week while I was on vacation. The filter/pump is set up to run every morning from 6-9 AM.

The water temp is up to 80 degrees and I took the first swim this weekend to cool down when I was cutting parts for the deck.

Gonna be nice to come home to after a day in an un air conditioned mail truck!

Name:	Pool.jpg
Size:	176.7 KB
ID:	786606

We had some rain this weekend that slowed me down but I got a good start on the deck. Except for the braces and rounding over the ends of the deck boards, all the parts and ready to go. I got one beam installed on each side of the legs and the 2 end joists installed so I could set it in place determine the location of the footings and piers. Three of the beams are set into 1/2" deep dados which makes it solid end to end. The outside beam is set 3/4" deep so a facia board will be flush to it. The braces on the ends will be added before I try to move it. Next is to pour the footings and bolt it down so I can measure for and cut the stair stringers.
                    Last edited by Pappy; 09-29-2013, 08:06 PM.
                    Don, aka Pappy,

Plato

Comment

• Pappy
                      The Full Monte
                      • Dec 2002
                      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 (x2)

Added the last part on an edit and couldn't add another picture.

Name:	Deck Frame.jpg
Size:	205.9 KB
ID:	786607
                      Don, aka Pappy,

Plato

Comment

• parnelli
                        • Aug 2004
                        • bt3100

Looks great! Kept waiting to see the pics of the actual pool... very nice setup

Comment

• JR
                          The Full Monte
                          • Feb 2004
                          • Eugene, OR
                          • BT3000

Looking good, Don!

I might have poured the footings first, but you're probably better at getting them level than I am.

FWIW, the documentation I've seen always says that a "patio" is not a sufficient footing.

I like the beams set into dadoes. Theoretically knee braces might be in order to mitigate racking, but the dadoes should help in that regard. Are you planning to run bolts through the beam and post connections?
                          JR

Comment

• Pappy
                            The Full Monte
                            • Dec 2002
                            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 (x2)

Originally posted by JR
                            Looking good, Don!

I might have poured the footings first, but you're probably better at getting them level than I am.

FWIW, the documentation I've seen always says that a "patio" is not a sufficient footing.

I like the beams set into dadoes. Theoretically knee braces might be in order to mitigate racking, but the dadoes should help in that regard. Are you planning to run bolts through the beam and post connections?
                            I would like to have poured the footings first, but it is kind of 'design on the fly'. Original idea was 5'x8' but after laying out the deck boards I added 2 more to, taking it to 6'-5" wide. With the frame in place and the inside deck board clamped on I was able to get a locate on the inside footings. I'll pour them first and then measure to get the location of the outside footings.

The beams are set for now with Loctite construction adhesive and 4 screws each. I have some galvanized carriage bolts on hand and will probably use 2 per joint when I add the other beams.

Cross braces will be permanent on the stair end (closest to the porch). The other end will get temporary corner braces to hold it rigid until it is bolted to the footings. They will be replaced with a plywood storage cabinet for chemicals after it is in place.
                            Don, aka Pappy,

Plato

Comment

• atgcpaul
                              Veteran Member
                              • Aug 2003
                              • Maryland
                              • Grizzly 1023SLX

Man, that looks sweet!

What does the water in a salt water filtered pool taste like? Just like tap water?

Comment

Working...