• Show
Clear All
  • Two Much
    Established Member
    • Mar 2003
    • Long Island, NY
    • (two) Ryobe BT-3's

Painting Basement Floor Question.

We are in the process of re-finishing our basement workshop.

We want to remove the floor tiles as many are loose and off in places.

We want to use paint on the cement floor, has anyone done this here
    and any advise on brand and type of paint.

I was hoping for shaded look if possible, perhaps a grayish color.
    It's epoxy paint, right? Do we have to remove all the tile adhesive?

We want to cover approx 1000 sq. feet.

Any advise is appreciated.
  • rfisher7381
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2005
    • Hudsonville, MI, USA.

I've used Rustoleum two part epoxy floor paints with good success on both basement floors and garage floors. Surface prep is absolutely critical for a successful job.
    Randy

Comment

• woodturner
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2008
      • Western Pennsylvania
      • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by Two Much

We want to use paint on the cement floor, has anyone done this here
      and any advise on brand and type of paint.
      I've used both the water-based and oil-based concrete paint sold at Sears. The water-based did not work well, but the oil based paint is still in good shape in the shop, 10 years later. If I did it over, I would add some grit or something to the paint - the glossy paint finish is too slippery.

At the garage journal site, people have found some less expensive alternatives or sources for the epoxy garage floor paints. That would be an option, too, and likely more durable.
      --------------------------------------------------
      Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• Stytooner
        Roll Tide RIP Lee
        • Dec 2002
        • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
        • BT3100

This is what I used on my new shop floor. I tried out a gallon of acrylic first and didn't like the results after just limited foot travel. It chipped off easily.
        This oil based stuff is much much better, however it really smells. If you can vent the basement until it cures, then it would probably work well. The acrylic had a slight smell as well, but not as potent as this.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_46516-4-057....int&facetInfo=
        Lee

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

Originally posted by Stytooner
          This is what I used on my new shop floor. I tried out a gallon of acrylic first and didn't like the results after just limited foot travel. It chipped off easily.
          This oil based stuff is much much better, however it really smells. If you can vent the basement until it cures, then it would probably work well. The acrylic had a slight smell as well, but not as potent as this.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_46516-4-057....int&facetInfo=
          I used that on both a garden shed floor and the work deck for the Playpen. Both are plywood floors and it has held up well, especailly in the shed. The shed sees traffic from lawn mowers, tillers, and a lawn tractor. The work deck is exposed to the weather and I have had some water damage, mostly from water getting in the seams.
          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
          Fools because they have to say something.
          Plato

Comment

• newbie2wood
            Established Member
            • Apr 2004
            • NJ, USA.

Oil or epoxy paint will work in the basement. Epoxy paint is better in the garage where the floor is subject to hot tires rolling over it. Make sure the floor is clean before painting, otherwise the paint might peel. Use a muriatic acid cleaner to prep the floor but be careful.

If you have radon or have not tested for radon in your basement, consider sealing the concrete floor with a sealer before painting. There are sealers made for radon mitigation but I can not attest to their effectiveness.

Comment

• capncarl
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Leesburg Georgia USA
              • SawStop CTS

If you had moisture causing the tile to come up you will have moisture causing the floor coating to come up. I would suggest visiting a professional paint supply store. They possibly could steer you to a product that would be moisture tollerant. It is better to err on the side of caution than to go to all the time, effort and cost only to see the floor paint peel off. I personally use Porter (mfg by someone else now) and Glidden materials from their company stores. These are stand alone stores. They sell to "professionals" and know a lot more about their paints, unlike the box stores with their pick of the day counter clerk, if you can find one, just selling to aunt bea repainting the bed room wall and trying to buy the cheapest she can find. The paints at these stores are not the same as their branded products at the big box stores.

capncarl

Comment

• Stytooner
                Roll Tide RIP Lee
                • Dec 2002
                • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                • BT3100

Not the way to go if moisture is the issue.
                There is a product they carry for sealing masonry against moisture. It's called Drylok. Not as cheap, but may work well as a moisture repellent.
                Lee

Comment

• Two Much
                  Established Member
                  • Mar 2003
                  • Long Island, NY
                  • (two) Ryobe BT-3's

Thanks for the responses.

Comment

Working...