• Show
Clear All
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

Nightmare on Briarwood Dr!

Tuesday morning I decided to sort some dirty laundry before heading out to work. Getting to the sorting bins I stepped into about 1/4" of water. After calling my supervisor and letting her know I had an emergency I got the shop vac out and cleaned up the water.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Water 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	798181

Name:	water 3.jpg
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	798182

My first thought was the water heater, but that end of the room was dry. With the washer and dryer moved out of the way I could hear the hissing sound inside the wall. Figured either I had a snake in the wall that drank WAY too much, or a pipe was leaking. Since possiblity #2 was the most likely, I started tearing out sheet rock.

What I found was evidence of a slow leak at a joint that had finaly gotten bad enough to flood the room. The insulatio was wet about 4' up and there was damage to the jack studs for the window, as well as the sole plate and 2 studs.

Name:	Leak i.jpg
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	798183

Name:	leak 2.jpg
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	798184

My neighbor is a contractor, licensed as an electrician and AC man, but up to speed on plumbing. I called and asked him to swing by when he could to give me his opinion on some changes I wanted to make while I was in there. I wanted to reposition the washer connections / drain and move the dryer vent. The cold water pipe ran between the drain pipe and the wall and there wasn't enough room for it. It was slightly proud of the studs and was wearing a groove in the drain pipe. He said he didn't see any problems with the mods and that if I got the structural work done, he would come back to replace the lines with PEX.

I had to replace a section of the sole plate and sister in 2x4 to repair the damaged studs. The jack studs for the window ran too close to the hot water pipe (May have at leasat contributed to the problem) so instead of replacing them, I cut them off and put a header under them. When I nailed it in place I used a floor jack to apply some upward pressure. The stud repairs are braced/sistered better than what shows in the photo.

Name:	repair 1.jpg
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	798185

Name:	repair 2.jpg
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	798186

Tuesday evening I stapled a double layer of plastic to the inside of the wall to keep out the weather and replaced the sheathing with foam board last night. I want to move the freezer and stacked washer /dryer around to find a better arrangementbefore I close the wall up. With only one 115V duplex outlet in the room, the freezer and washer / dryer had to sit next to each other causing the dryer to block the window. The outlet is an end run so it will be simple to tie into it and put another outlet on the other side of the window.

I will post more pics as progress is made. I am off Monday so hopefully I will be able to get the wall closed up and in primer this weekend.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato
  • greenacres2
    • Dec 2011
    • La Porte, IN
    • Ryobi BT3000

What a week you've had!! I bet you didn't think you had that much free time. Sounds like you're taking advantage of the situation, and keeping a good spirit in the process. Hang in there Pappy.
    Earl

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

It's not like you don't have enough to do without an emergency weekend project. What's a little bit of water on the floor? We know better that it's not just an innocent little bit of water, but likely monumental.

Comment

• chopnhack
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2006
        • Florida
        • Ryobi BT3100

Making good time already Pappy, good job!
        I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• pelligrini
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2007
          • Fort Worth, TX
          • Craftsman 21829

That sucks, glad you had some decent weather though. I would have been a lot more of a pain if it were freezing.
          Erik

Comment

• greenacres2
            • Dec 2011
            • La Porte, IN
            • Ryobi BT3000

It just struck me---this is why you've been driving the Ram to pick up material for a "project" (from the "Snow" thread). Hope you're back on the 'Glide soon!!

earl

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

Ugh... Been there, done that. No fun. Good luck Pappy!
              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

Working...