• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by cabinetman
    There are different types of hot melt glue sticks. They aren't all the same. Your wood may have been oily, or like you said you didn't let it cool enough. Like I suggested in your thread either a two part epoxy or CA may work.

I glued four ND disc magnets into the wood face for my vise. I initially used the standard hot melt adhesive sold at all craft stores.

The pieces initially worked, the wood, magnets and glue stuck to the steel object, so the glue was not too soft and had cooled enuf. I removed and replaced it several times.

The next day when i took the wood off the steel, i found all four (actually 8 since I had two faces) of the magnets stuck to the steel and had overnight pulled off the glue which remained with the wood. so it was not the oil in the wood then.

I repeated the process, cleaning the magnets to ensure the glue stuck and had the same result.

The magnets were real smooth so maybe if i roughed up the magnets the hot melt would have held. But I did not try that.

I ended up using E6000 glue (recommended by members of this forum) and roughed up the magnets' glue face with sandpaper. That worked.

That's why I said I did not have good success with hot melt glue that you recommended. You did not mention using any special hot melt glue sticks.
    Wiki on hot melt adhesive: For household use, only a few types of stick are available, and they are more or less interchangeable.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-24-2013, 12:35 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Originally posted by LCHIEN

That's why I said I did not have good success with hot melt glue that you recommended. You did not mention using any special hot melt glue sticks.
      I will check my glue stick containers to see if one indicates to be effective gluing magnets to wood.

Comment

Working...