• Show
Clear All
  • Wood_workur
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2005
    • Ohio
    • Ryobi bt3100-1

Pad for a garage and door thresholds

I'm currently working on preparing for building a new garage. One of the things I'm not terribly sure of is the thresholds for the overhead and man doors.

Finished grade for my working drawings is going to be the top of the pad. In a few spots around the current structure (namely where the man door is going to be located) the actual grade is below this level, and at no point is it above this level. That being said, what is the proper procedure for installing the man door? Do I just have the location of the door not have the curb so that the door sits on the pad, or do I want a small step there? (local code requires a 4" wide by 8" tall curb)

Also, I would want to frame out over the edge of the curb with 2x4s like this image shows: http://www.carpentry-pro-framer.com/...-framing-1.png
    Alex
  • toolguy1000
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2009
    • westchester cnty, ny

what does the architect or engineer who drew up the plans say about this? or is this one of those "building permit? we don't need no stinckin' building permit" type jobs.
    there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• Wood_workur
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2005
      • Ohio
      • Ryobi bt3100-1

I'm the one drawings the plans. (Though the city engineer will be signing off on them) Our city has a pdf online showing everything they want for a new garage, and between that and IRC I'm making sure everything is called out to meet or exceed codes. Problem is I cannot find anything about a door in this application, and I've never dealt with one of these before.
      Alex

Comment

• pelligrini
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • Fort Worth, TX
        • Craftsman 21829

I'd do it like that one you linked to, maybe a small drop in the slab at the door for the threshold to sit down into. If the door or frame leaks, you can still get the water back outside.

We do the same for overhead doors. I like making sure that the overhead door will come down below the slab floor by at least 3/4".

You'll probably need a landing in front of the man door too. (IRC R311.3)
        Erik

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

I would leave the door openings grade level plus 1/8" and use pre-hung personell doors with the provided threshold. The garage door does not need a threshold. Make sure that the slab is slightly above the grade to prevent water from puddling and rotting out the threshold and creating an ice skating rink in the winter.
          capncarl

Comment

• toolguy1000
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2009
            • westchester cnty, ny

Originally posted by capncarl
            I would leave the door openings grade level plus 1/8" and use pre-hung personell doors with the provided threshold. The garage door does not need a threshold. Make sure that the slab is slightly above the grade to prevent water from puddling and rotting out the threshold and creating an ice skating rink in the winter.
            capncarl
            +1 on that. very important that any area of the garage floor outside the garage door slope away from the garage door. mine is marginal that way and rain from certain directions finds it's way under the door for intermittent minor puddling on the inside of the door.
            there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• toolguy1000
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2009
              • westchester cnty, ny

Originally posted by Wood_workur
              I'm the one drawings the plans. (Though the city engineer will be signing off on them) Our city has a pdf online showing everything they want for a new garage, and between that and IRC I'm making sure everything is called out to meet or exceed codes. Problem is I cannot find anything about a door in this application, and I've never dealt with one of these before.
              that's very fortunate for you. in my area, ANY new building needs drawings from a licensed architect or engineer before the building dept will issue a building permit. that should save you some money for future power tools.

Comment

Working...