• Show
Clear All
  • dtam
    Established Member
    • Mar 2006
    • santa clara, CA
    • delta 36-675

tree disease

Anyone know what kind of disease this tree has, and how it can be treated.
    I tried the following a few months ago, and it didn't help.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051
    Attached Files
  • jking
    • May 2003
    • Des Moines, IA.
    • BT3100

Is that actually the tree growing, or, some kind of vine? I don't think it matters either way, because, I think the real solution is a chainsaw. Based on the first picture, I don't think the tree is salvagable.

Comment

• dtam
      Established Member
      • Mar 2006
      • santa clara, CA
      • delta 36-675

That's actually the tree growing leaves on it's trunk. I removed all the leaves on it's trunk a couple of months ago, but it grew back. Because the tree is within 4 feet from the sidewalk, technically it belongs to the city, so I can't cut it down.

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by dtam
        That's actually the tree growing leaves on it's trunk. I removed all the leaves on it's trunk a couple of months ago, but it grew back. Because the tree is within 4 feet from the sidewalk, technically it belongs to the city, so I can't cut it down.
        So if a sick tree on your property dies, but it is within 4 feet of the sidewalk. And say it falls over and hurts somebody or damages property, who gets sued?
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Stytooner
          Roll Tide RIP Lee
          • Dec 2002
          • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
          • BT3100

Looks like a mutation. Genetic or otherwise. Seen any really bright light followed by a really big bang lately?

Sorry. Comic book super hero syndrome rising up from the past.

If it were located somewhere out of the way, I might just let it grow, however looks like it is in a prominent place for you. I would save myself the headache while it is still manageable and get rid of it.
          I would also dig out the hole and remove the entire stump.
          Not good to plant another tree over an old stump.

I don't really have a green thumb, but I don't kill stuff either.
          Common sense and the internet have taken me to shady places.
          In my yard that is.
          Lee

Comment

• Stytooner
            Roll Tide RIP Lee
            • Dec 2002
            • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
            • BT3100

PS.
            A diseased tree like that may yield some spectacular figure for turning small items.
            Don't get rid of it until you check that out.

Birdseye whatever that tree is.

I had a maple tree, silver I think. Not native down here. Grew about 12 foot and then rotted at the root.
            That root ball made some stellar pens.
            Lee

Comment

• greenacres2
              • Dec 2011
              • La Porte, IN
              • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by dbhost
              So if a sick tree on your property dies, but it is within 4 feet of the sidewalk. And say it falls over and hurts somebody or damages property, who gets sued?
              If it's in California, it has to have a warning label so everybody gets sued and only the lawyers win!!

earl

Comment

• Tom Slick
                Veteran Member
                • May 2005
                • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                • sears BT3 clone

It's disease is that it's actually a bush that looks like a tree when it's old. I don't know what it's called but we had them growing all over town where I used to live, including in my yard. Mine died from a fungal infection. Unfortunately the wood is not usable for woodworking and literally smells like dog poop when you burn it!

It was trimmed incorrectly so it sprouted new growth all over. If that is recent growth then it was trimmed at the wrong time of the year.
                Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• tommyt654
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2008

Judging from the dieback at the top I would think its a root rot of some type. I would suggest you contact your local Cty. extension service and have them take a look as most disease's are area specific. After that remove it and burn it too prevent futhur spread of the disease.

Comment

• dtam
                    Established Member
                    • Mar 2006
                    • santa clara, CA
                    • delta 36-675

dbhost - I'm not worried about the tree falling over, and injuring someone as it's very sturdy.

Stytooner - yes, it's in the front lawn next to the driveway, so I rather keep it unless i have no choice

tom slick - you may be right. The leaves started growing on the trunk only after I trimmed the tree around May this year. It was my first time trimming anything, and I might have removed too much (there used to be tons of leaves and branches on the top of tree). The tree was already sick before I trimmed it though because many of the leaves were curled up. Also, I have never watered the tree since I bought the house in 09, so it's been under some stress I guess.

tommyt654 - that' not dieback at the top, that's the result of my trimming the tree

I plan to remove the leaves on the trunk, try the solution I linked earlier,, water it daily this time, and see what happens. I'll wait until after Halloween to do this.

Comment

• jking
                      • May 2003
                      • Des Moines, IA.
                      • BT3100

I'd suggest calling the city since it's their tree and ask them to take a look at it. See if they would take care of removing it & cover the cost of a new tree. Or, at least cover the cost of the new tree & give you permission to remove the old one. I would offer to handle planting a new tree. Honestly, a tree that looks like that will not improve your property value if you decide to sell at a later time.

Comment

• tommyt654
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2008

" that' not dieback at the top" Dieback is when growth subsides a natural pattern and starts losing limbs and leaves from the top down,Yes I noticed you pruned, but do you have regular growth thruout the tree or just at the base and lower areas if so,Thats dieback and inclement of another disease, I'd just cut the whole tree down, replace the soil in the area if possible as it might contain pathogens that will damage a new tree and be glad it didn't infect other trees in the area so far. What has the Cty ext. service said?

Comment

• newbie2wood
                          Established Member
                          • Apr 2004
                          • NJ, USA.

It looks like drought stress. Dormant buds in the trunk will sprout if the tree is heavily pruned (like in your photo) or the roots are damaged. You can re-prune all the leaves, wrap the trunk to prevent regrowth, and water the tree.

Comment

Working...