• Show
Clear All
  • chopnhack
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • Florida
    • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by cabinetman
    He also commented that the the way my hurricane panels were set up to be hung, that there needed to be a spacer between the panel and a block wall.
    Spacer? Of what type?

Told ya there'd be no issues ;-) even the stiff bushes got better things to do.
    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Originally posted by chopnhack
      Spacer? Of what type?

Told ya there'd be no issues ;-) even the stiff bushes got better things to do.
      He didn't say what, but that it stands the panels away from the glass so if there is any deflection in the panels the glass won't get hit.

Comment

• NewDIYer
        Forum Newbie
        • Jun 2012
        • Southington, CT
        • Ryobi BT3000

Dog days afternoon..

Are the dogs available for loan? Next time when I take out a permit, I would like to take them on a loan..

Congrats!

Comment

• BigguyZ
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2006
          • Minneapolis, MN
          • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Originally posted by NewDIYer
          Are the dogs available for loan? Next time when I take out a permit, I would like to take them on a loan..

Congrats!
          A boombox and a recording should do in a pinch!

Comment

• chopnhack
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2006
            • Florida
            • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by cabinetman
            it stands the panels away from the glass so if there is any deflection in the panels the glass won't get hit.
            I can see the point to some degree.... most block homes have the windows recessed by about 1.5-2", IMHO that would have to be a tall window for a corrugated steel or al. panel to deflect to the point of hitting into the glass from wind. Small missile impact - that I can understand, but I see this as a double edge sword, if you put spacers, doesn't that allow the wind to now get behind the panel and create a sail effect? Personally, I like them tight to the building.

Comment

• cabinetman
              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

Originally posted by chopnhack
              I can see the point to some degree.... most block homes have the windows recessed by about 1.5-2", IMHO that would have to be a tall window for a corrugated steel or al. panel to deflect to the point of hitting into the glass from wind. Small missile impact - that I can understand, but I see this as a double edge sword, if you put spacers, doesn't that allow the wind to now get behind the panel and create a sail effect? Personally, I like them tight to the building.
              I'm with you on that. We have 5 successive window openings that are over 8' wide, with no way of mounting panels vertically. Not much of a choice. A friend of mine has accordion style shutters and they seem very flimsy with allowances for wind to get inside. But, I do like how easily they can close up a house. It must only take him about 20 minutes if that. Mine would likely take several hours or more.

Comment

• chopnhack
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 2006
                • Florida
                • Ryobi BT3100

Why is there no way of mounting the panels vertically? Is there no solid attachment point for a h track or ceiling mount track? IIRC they make up to 115" panels standard.

Comment

Working...