• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Originally posted by All Thumbs
    Just blow the inspection off. Building inspector will probably send a letter or postcard in a few months indicating they need an inspection. Blow that off, too.
    Have you done that?

Comment

• 3thumbs
      Established Member
      • Oct 2008
      • Northern Colorado
      • Delta 10" contractor saw/cast wings

My hesitation in doing so is due to the fact that there are some very obvious improvements (other than the door) that were not done with a permit. Having an inspector do an inspection could have repercussions.

.[/QUOTE]

I suppose that it depends on the inspector, but when I had an inspection on a major project and the inspector saw a shed on a pad over the utilities easement, he told me he was only concerned with the permitted project.

Comment

• chopnhack
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2006
        • Florida
        • Ryobi BT3100

Around these parts, you can't blow off the inspection.... they can encumber the title so if you should have to sell or pass on as inheritance you would still have to finalize the permit. Happened to a neighbor that didnt close out his permit so they wouldn't reassess his property value He didnt make out in the long run on that one... As for the obvious C-man... what can I say bro, it was there when I came home :P
        Seriously, is there a way of bringing him through the house such that he wouldn't see the sheds? Are the sheds just outside of the affected door? I don't think they would have you remove them, they would much rather hit you with fees instead, its always about money.. Good luck and let us know what goes on.
        I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• RDavidP
          Forum Newbie
          • Jan 2011
          • Maryland

I had a gas hot water heater replaced with another one. The company that did it said that the inspector will be out in five days. Told them not possible as we were leaving that afternoon to be gone for a month. Later the company called me and set up a day for the inspector to come once we were back. Day came and went and now several months later and no inspector ever showed up.

Comment

• atgcpaul
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2003
            • Maryland
            • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by cabinetman
            ...My hesitation in doing so is due to the fact that there are some very obvious improvements (other than the door) that were not done with a permit. Having an inspector do an inspection could have repercussions.

Timely post. I want to install skylights in my shop which is a standalone 2 car garage. But then that got me thinking back to a conversation I had with our code inspector 2 years ago after a tree fell on the garage roof. Before he walked inside, he said, "You know, I signed off on this structure 15 years ago before it got built. Looks like I done good, because that whole tree is sitting on your roof and didn't smash it." It was a BIG tree. Then he walked inside, and made this "Hmmm" noise as he noticed all the tools (and related power), subpanel, OSB sheathing, and drywalled ceiling. I think we both knew what was up, but thank goodness he turned a blind eye.

I hope he does the same when he comes back for the skylights. Maybe you'll get lucky, too.

Comment

• cabinetman
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

Well, this is a coincidence. The contractor called me again about an hour ago to get a sign off. So, I asked if I could take a bunch of pictures and go down to the city with the permit. The answer was no, as the inspector has to see the door...to make sure it's the one on the permit property address, and open and close it. I guess I'll just have to see what happens and deal with the ramifications if there are any.

They also told me that if I didn't get an inspection, the permit would stay open and in 6 months have to pay the fee all over again and get an inspection. They can cloud the title which would be a problem later.

Comment

• chopnhack
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 2006
                • Florida
                • Ryobi BT3100

Maybe he will be retired by then Paul :-)

C-man, make sure your palms are dry when you greet him and just act like a dumb homeowner... yes and no. And act surprised if there are any other questions. I hope that all goes well for you.

Comment

• cabinetman
                  • Jun 2006
                  • So. Florida
                  • Delta

Originally posted by chopnhack
                  Maybe he will be retired by then Paul :-)

C-man, make sure your palms are dry when you greet him and just act like a dumb homeowner... yes and no. And act surprised if there are any other questions. I hope that all goes well for you.
                  Thanks...it's set up for Monday.

Comment

• pelligrini
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2007
                    • Fort Worth, TX
                    • Craftsman 21829

Can you paint?

You could paint a large movie canvas of the backyard without the second shed and then take it down after the inspector left.

Inspector could assume you got a variance for the sheds, or he might not like additional paperwork and would just ignore it if even noriced.
                    Last edited by pelligrini; 08-08-2012, 03:13 PM.
                    Erik

Comment

• All Thumbs
                      Established Member
                      • Oct 2009
                      • Penn Hills, PA
                      • BT3K/Saw-Stop

Originally posted by cabinetman
                      Have you done that?

Sure have. But then again, I don't plan on ever moving. And if I die, getting the money out of the house is the next of kin's problem. Several hundred thousand dollars is worth a little effort on their part to clear things up. The reality is, that is going to be (hopefully) decades from now. By that time, the work for which I had pulled a permit will probably have already been done again a second time.

Comment

• BigguyZ
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jul 2006
                        • Minneapolis, MN
                        • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

In Minneapolis, our inspections department stinks. They miss enough issues on the items they're inspecting, I wouldn't even worry about them noticing anything else.

Though to be serious- it really depends on the inspector. I've had some that have been jerks, and some that have been cool. I had a plumbing inspector let me close things up and just call him to let him know it was fixed w/ no additional proof. But then I had an electrical inspector have a couple of minor issues, and he had to come back to re-inspect once they were fixed.

The only time I've had an inspector look for issues was with a rental license. Then they look for everything. They'll look for new work, and if they can prove it was done w/o a permit, they can have you rip it all out. Dating on water pipe and electrical is a big help to them in this case. That's why buying older stock is sometimes helpful. If the manufactured date is before the date you bought the house, then they can't prove it wasn't existing. If it was after, then you obviously did it.

Comment

• cabinetman
                          • Jun 2006
                          • So. Florida
                          • Delta

Originally posted by pelligrini
                          Can you paint?

You could paint a large movie canvas of the backyard without the second shed and then take it down after the inspector left.

Inspector could assume you got a variance for the sheds, or he might not like additional paperwork and would just ignore it if even noriced.

When we went from septic tank to sewer, an inspector came twice. First when the trench was dug and the pipe was laid, and for the final, when it was all tied in and draining. He had to walk both sides of the house and the rear. He didn't say a word about the sheds or the windows or the fence. We had some more foliage in front of the sheds, but they were still visible.

Painting the scenery to obscure the sheds was a topic I brought up to my wife, but she got a good laugh out of that idea. The inspector is coming tomorrow, so I thought I would put both German Shepherds in the back yard, and let him in the front door and walk him to the back door, and explain that there are two big dogs in the back yard. He may not even go out there, as he can see the installation screws and try the action of the doors from the inside. Or, maybe he will go outside but get distracted with the dogs.

Comment

• chopnhack
                            Veteran Member
                            • Oct 2006
                            • Florida
                            • Ryobi BT3100

Did they come yet?

Comment

• cabinetman
                              • Jun 2006
                              • So. Florida
                              • Delta

Originally posted by chopnhack
                              Did they come yet?
                              Yep...around 11 AM. When he rang the bell, and I got to the door, he was eyeing the windows. He asked about them, and I just said HD did them years ago. He didn't ask about a permit. I put both dogs in the back yard and walked him through the house to the back door. I had the window blinds on the windows next to the door closed and the mini blinds on the door window closed.

I opened up the door and stood in the doorway so he could see the hinges, and the jamb. He didn't go outside. Dogs were barking their heads off. He pulled out the verticals on the windows to look at the installation screws and made a statement about it looked like one or two screws were missing. Actually, they weren't, but seated deep inside the frame, but I didn't want to sound argumentative.

He also commented that the the way my hurricane panels were set up to be hung, that there needed to be a spacer between the panel and a block wall. I told him that Citizens had sent their own inspector and passed them. He said down the road there may be a problem with them changing their installation methods.

So, He passed the door, and that's that. Whether he will check on whether we ever pulled a permit for the windows, time will tell. I have my doubts that he will. But, he did seem book stiff.

Comment

• pelligrini
                                Veteran Member
                                • Apr 2007
                                • Fort Worth, TX
                                • Craftsman 21829

Sounds like it'll probably all come off without a hitch. Really good idea with the dogs!
                                Erik

Comment

Working...