• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

How does your garden grow?

We've got 4 4x8 raised beds. One is filled with tomatoes and peppers. The long side of another will be a trellis of snap peas. That leaves me with 2 1/2 beds. What are you guys growing this summer? I need ideas. I'm thinking half of one will be strawberries. We did one of cucumbers last year and it got a little out of control.
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

I am not doing a garden this year as I am ripping out trees, shrubs, and a deck, basically wiping my back yard down to nothing so that I can build up. I do have a plan though...

1 tree on each side of the yard by the fence. 1 Pecan, the other some fruit tree, most likely Navel Orange. Box run around full size between trees, up against the fence so that I have a run 8' x ~24 ft of planting bed space between the trees not including the base area of the trees. This will be raised up, and a 3' chicken wire fence with a gate will be installed to keep the dog and whatever errant rabbits out within reason.

When I do grow, I tend to plant tomatoes, onions, peppers (Jalapeno, Habanero, and Red Bell), and Cilantro. With this much space, I will likely add some sort of fruit. I have tried Strawberries in the past and had a fair amount of luck with them...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by dbhost
      When I do grow, I tend to plant tomatoes, onions, peppers (Jalapeno, Habanero, and Red Bell), and Cilantro. With this much space, I will likely add some sort of fruit. I have tried Strawberries in the past and had a fair amount of luck with them...
      Do you remember what variety of strawberries? I just learned there are 2 major types--ever bearing and June-bearing. It seems like the ever bearing is the way to go if I want berries this year.

Comment

• tommyt654
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2008

Tamaters, beans, squash,peppers,corn,No strawberrys yet but plan to put in everbearing
        Last edited by tommyt654; 03-24-2013, 11:56 AM.

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

I have two 4X8 raised beds but I extended it with cinder blocks about 18 inches. IN the open area of the cinder blocks, I filled with some great soil. I placed strawberries in them but they are not growing too well. They have strawberries but they just aren't growing well. I have mint, basil, tyme, sage and other on one end of the extensions and they are doing well.

In the 4X8 sections, I have tomatoes and they are doing super. On the inside edge around the raised bed, I planted lettuce, onions and radishes back in early March when we had the warm spell. We have eaten all of the radishes, I have about 6 ft of romaine lettuce left and it did well. The onions are the best and largest I have personally ever had. And I have never had this much vegitables this early.

One of thing I planted was the "walking onions" or also known as "Egyptian onions". I haven't had those in nearly 35 years. I am enjoying those and they are really mulitplying.
          Last edited by leehljp; 04-26-2012, 03:08 PM.
          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• jking
            • May 2003
            • Des Moines, IA.
            • BT3100

Even with ever bearing, you may not get much for strawberries this year.

I currently have in my garden peas, two types of lettuce, carrots, radishes, & spinach. I will be adding (hopefully this week) zucchini, butternut squash, sweet corn, 6 tomatoes (1/2 roma, 1/2 big boy or beefsteak), & peppers (probably 2 poblanos, 2 bells).

I keep thinking about putting in one or two dwarf fruit trees, but, haven't been able to figure out where to put them so they don't disrupt the backyard for our kids. I almost put in a couple of dwarf blueberry plants last year, but, didn't for kind of the same reason.

In the past, I have planted potatoes & onions, but, decided to use the garden space to try a couple of other things. I have some things that I put in each year, but, every couple of years I try to add something new & drop something that maybe hasn't produce well.

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by atgcpaul
              Do you remember what variety of strawberries? I just learned there are 2 major types--ever bearing and June-bearing. It seems like the ever bearing is the way to go if I want berries this year.
              I honestly don't recall. Just seeds from Walmart...
              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• natausch
                Established Member
                • Aug 2009
                • Aurora, IL
                • BT3000 - 15A

Love growing onions, in face now we're getting closer to full planting we're already pulling up the early spring crop.

I agree cucumbers are easy, but overgrow the whole area way to fast and steal moisture from other plants.

If you have space and want a more friendly neighbor then cabbage/cauliflower work great.

Comment

• chopnhack
                  Veteran Member
                  • Oct 2006
                  • Florida
                  • Ryobi BT3100

My 4x4 raised area got more plantings last year, but this year has tomatoes, spinach, two types of lettuce, cucumbers, green beans and one onion - I found it had grown a tail in the dark cabinet with the potatoes :-)

Already have eaten the first cucumber and first harvesting of green beans, delicious, all organic and from heritage seeds. I fear the green horned caterpillar will return this year... last year he wiped out one entire tomato plant in one day....
                  I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• HumorMe00
                    Handtools only
                    • Dec 2011

I trellis my cucumbers. It helps to keep craziness down.

Comment

• T...K21
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Feb 2012
                      • Southern Idaho
                      • BT3100

Strawberries are pretty hardy and grow like weeds. I believe they don't usually produce well until the second year.

We've planted the root stuff like potatoes, corn, carrots, and onions but its still too cool in my area for toms, peppers, green beans, etc. I have forecast for snow for the next couple of days....

I want to try growing potatoes in tires, asparagus, okra, and egg plant this year.

Comment

• billwmeyer
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2003
                        • Weir, Ks, USA.
                        • BT3000

I don't think I have gardened except for maybe 2 tomato plants since I moved away from home in 1971! However last year I read on this or another forum about someone who was doing a bucket garden. Basically doubled up 5 gallon buckets with the bottom bucket being a reservoir for water allowing it to wick into the soil in the top bucket with holes drilled in it. I have a 4 bucket garden this year with a pepper plant, a grape tomato plant and two regular sized tomato plants. In two of the buckets I also planted some radishes. The plants have been doing good so far, the radishes should be up this weekend.

Bill
                        "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• tommyt654
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2008

"I want to try growing potatoes in tires"

I tried that one yr and they had a rubbery taste, better off using plastic bags doubled up,start with a mixture of wheat straw and topsoil, set your eyes in, then cover with some soil, maybe 2-3 inches as the new growth appears place more soil and straw into the bag and roll it up until eventually you'll have a bag filled with potato's easily split with a knife or razor for harvesting.Just my experience trying the tire thing, you can try it but mine did have a funny taste to them.Asparagus takes a few yrs and you'll have to dig a nice deep pit to set the roots in good topsoil, then harvest the crowns for eating after the 1st yr,the 2nd yr crowns are more tender and the plant has developed a better root system. Eggplant ,try the smaller,thinner chinese variety ,smaller fruit ,requires less staking and has a better taste, great when grilled with a little butter and garlic. I won't even get started on Okra,wife hates it and my 1st one loved it, It can get rather tall(10-14ft), but is great for thickening soups and stews with, plus perfect for gumbo. Just a little advice,not that anyone needs it here, just my experiences and these work well to trellis any type of climbing crops, easy to put up and take down yearly, http://gurneys.com/product.asp?splid=SPLID02&pn=12871
                          Last edited by tommyt654; 04-27-2012, 06:40 PM.

Comment

• BigguyZ
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jul 2006
                            • Minneapolis, MN
                            • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

I have a topsy turvey.... does that count?

Assuming I eventually get it set up, that is....

Comment

• T...K21
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Feb 2012
                              • Southern Idaho
                              • BT3100

Originally posted by tommyt654
                              "I want to try growing potatoes in tires"

I tried that one yr and they had a rubbery taste, better off using plastic bags doubled up,start with a mixture of wheat straw and topsoil, set your eyes in, then cover with some soil, maybe 2-3 inches as the new growth appears place more soil and straw into the bag and roll it up until eventually you'll have a bag filled with potato's easily split with a knife or razor for harvesting.Just my experience trying the tire thing, you can try it but mine did have a funny taste to them.Asparagus takes a few yrs and you'll have to dig a nice deep pit to set the roots in good topsoil, then harvest the crowns for eating after the 1st yr,the 2nd yr crowns are more tender and the plant has developed a better root system. Eggplant ,try the smaller,thinner chinese variety ,smaller fruit ,requires less staking and has a better taste, great when grilled with a little butter and garlic. I won't even get started on Okra,wife hates it and my 1st one loved it, It can get rather tall(10-14ft), but is great for thickening soups and stews with, plus perfect for gumbo. Just a little advice,not that anyone needs it here, just my experiences and these work well to trellis any type of climbing crops, easy to put up and take down yearly, http://gurneys.com/product.asp?splid=SPLID02&pn=12871
                              That's funny...about okra. You either like it or you don't. Some people have never heard of it in my area. I agree with the gumbo! Deep fried too!

I'll try growing potatoes both ways. This year is a trial and error year for me in the garden.

Any advise on growing hot peppers in colder climates?

Comment

Working...