• Show
Clear All
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

What wood to withstand rain?

A friend has a gable house, with a circular 'window' high up on an external wall - more ornamental than utilitarian (leads into an attic). It used to have a slats installed, cut such that water would not get in. Couple of years ago he asked my help in replacing the slats as they had rotted away, being directly exposed to rain. (The slats are simply nailed in).

I did the job quick, but made a blunder : I did not stop to think deeper about the wood, and used regular poplar. Well, today he tells me that what we put up has rotted again, and needs replacing.

The job itself is pretty easy, but what can I do to avoid the wood rotting in the rain in a couple of years? Exterior wood? Regular wood with exterior paint? Exterior wood with exterior paint? Or some sort of artificial material?
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

if you want natural wood look, Cedar, redwood, cypress, teak or ipe are all naturally rot resistant with no finish, but they will weather and look weathered (turn a silvery gray) and ultimately can rot away but it will take years. Cedar is probably the easiest to find. You can also finish them with UV resistant varnish coatings every few years and they will last longer and look "natural" - no graying or splintering from weathering.

Pine, poplar etc can be painted but the paint will need to be renewed every few years but properly paint protected can last a long time. Louvers would make painting harder to coat all the sides that are exposed - even if not directly rained on or sunned upon they will see moisture and humidity and ultimately need repainting.

There are wood substitutes made of plastic that will last a long time without rotting, paint would still have to be replaced when it starts fading or peeling. One popular brand goes by the name TREX; look in the decking dept of Lowes or HD.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-15-2012, 01:18 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Knottscott
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Rochester, NY.
      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

White oak, lyptus, and mahogany are a couple of other good exterior woods. Cedar is pretty readily available around here, but YMMV.
      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• JimD
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2003
        • Lexington, SC.

Pressure treated pine will take paint well when it is dry. Painted, it would last indefinitely.

Jim

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

Your longest lasting protective finish would be a painted finish. If a woodgrain needs to be seen, a penetrating oil like Penofin Red Label will provide suitable protection, which would be an easier finish to maintain than a film finish (like a spar varnish, or spar urethane), which would be a PITA to sand and recoat.

Comment

• chopnhack
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2006
            • Florida
            • Ryobi BT3100

expensive but final
            I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
              Veteran Member
              • May 2003
              • Nanuet, NY, USA.
              • BT3100

TREX,
              And you only have to deal with a mop and soapy water.

Bruce
              "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
              Samuel Colt did"

Comment

Working...