• woodturner
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2008
    • Western Pennsylvania
    • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by cabinetman
    Absolutely.
    Great, glad we agree.

I wouldn't try to talk someone out of a product that I haven't used.
    I'm interesting in hearing about your experience with the GE Silicone Glazing. Please share your experience.

water based products are far safer than solvent based.
    The primary benefit of water-based products is easier cleanup, but the down-side is often harsher chemicals need to be added to get the components of the product to blend. Think about oil and water - they don't mix, and even if emulsified will separate, so a chemical emulsifier is required.

That may be why the water-based Polyseamseal is more toxic than silicone - it's the chemicals they have to add to make the water-base blend.
    Last edited by woodturner; 08-14-2011, 02:34 PM.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Originally posted by woodturner

That is a common misunderstanding. The primary benefit of water-based products is easier cleanup, but the down-side is often harsher chemicals need to be added to get the components of the product to blend. Think about oil and water - they don't mix, and even if emulsified will separate, so a chemical emulsifier is required.

That's why the water-based Polyseamseal is so much more toxic than silicone - it's the chemicals they have to add to make the water-base blend.
      I understand your misunderstanding. Most water based products don't contain oil. As for Polyseamseal being more toxic than silicone, the major ingredient which is listed as toxic is n butyl acetate.
      From Wiki: n-Butyl acetate, also known as butyl ethanoate, is an organic compound commonly used as a solvent in the production of lacquers and other products. It is also used as a synthetic fruit flavoring in foods such as candy, ice cream, cheeses, and baked goods. Butyl acetate is found in many types of fruit, where along with other chemicals it imparts characteristic flavors. It is a colourless flammable liquid with a sweet smell of banana.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butyl_acetate

I doubt there is anything in silicone that would be edible.

So, my suggestion for you is to use what you please.

Comment

• woodturner
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2008
        • Western Pennsylvania
        • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

IMost water based products don't contain oil.
        I agree that common sense would seem to suggest that water-based products wouldn't contain "oil", yet virtually all water-based products do contain organic oils such as the n-Butyl acetate you mentioned.

I doubt there is anything in silicone that would be edible
        Silicone is used for medical products and in many food products, including some candies. As the health rating on the MSDS shows, it may be safer to ingest silicone than drink alcohol.

As I have noted previously, though, my Ph.D is in electrical engineering, not chemistry, so I'm going to defer to the chemists on this forum for a more thorough explanation.

I don't see value in debating it further. We have shared our information and it's up to the OP to make his own choice.
        Last edited by woodturner; 08-14-2011, 02:33 PM. Reason: higher ground
        --------------------------------------------------
        Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• pelligrini
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2007
          • Fort Worth, TX
          • Craftsman 21829

I doubt there is anything in silicone that would be edible.
          I don't know about that. I've seen a couple things that had silicone in them and they looked very edible to me.
          Erik

Comment

• billwmeyer
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2003
            • Weir, Ks, USA.
            • BT3000

Originally posted by pelligrini
            I don't know about that. I've seen a couple things that had silicone in them and they looked very edible to me.
            Food value might be low with them, but I agree totally!

Bill
            "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

Working...