• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • os1kne
    • Jan 2003
    • Atlanta, GA
    • BT3100

Pvc

I'm getting ready to start a small project using 3/4" PVC, so I picked some up from Lowe's a few days ago. I've successfully worked with PVC several times over the past 10 years, so I'm fairly comfortable with it. I cut a couple of pieces using my ratcheting PVC cutter and noticed that the pipe compressed more and the cut wasn't as clean as I was used to. I looked at the side of the pipe and noticed that it was SDR-21 and not the Schedule 40 stuff that I expected. I'm not familiar with this grade and decided to wait and see if it is compatible with the Sch 40 fittings that I have on hand. (I have a decent supply of fittings on hand because when I work on plumbing projects, I tend to buy about 3x the number of fittings that I need to make sure that I'm not stuck w/o water over a $1 item - leftovers go in a box for future use.) This is a small, non-critical project - but I thought that I'd ask here before I risk messing up some pipe and fittings.

Thanks!
    Bill
  • sweensdv
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • WI
    • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

SDR-21 PVC has the same outside diameter as Sch40 so the fittings you have will fit. The main difference between the two is the wall thickness of the pipe which translates into different maximum pressure ratings. The SDR-21 is rated at 200 PSI max pressure while Sch40 is rated at 480 PSI for ¾" pipe.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

is it a plumbing project or a mechanical project?
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• os1kne
        • Jan 2003
        • Atlanta, GA
        • BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
        is it a plumbing project or a mechanical project?
        Primarily plumbing, I'm building a sprinkler setup for my kids to play in (similar to this http://www.instructables.com/id/KidW...11/Try-it-out/)

Plumbing-wise, I'm sure that the SDR-21 is able to handle what I need to do, however I'll probably make it with Sch40 or Sch80, because I don't have a lot of faith in the physical strength of the thinner walls of the SDR-21 vs. my 3 kids. (I envision kids pulling opposite ways on the two legs, I suspect that they could kink the SDR-21). The heavier PVC is inexpensive enough for the peace of mind it provides.
        Last edited by os1kne; 06-29-2011, 11:44 AM. Reason: more info
        Bill

Comment

Working...