X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RMCWoodWorks
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2010

Before we moved from Houston about a year ago, we had quite a bit of work done. I had the experience several times of having the contractor come out, express interest, promise to bid and never be heard form again. I had the impression at the time that they were just cherry-picking jobs and mine just weren't that attactive - they could have just said so, I would have understood and gone on ...

Comment

• crokett
      The Full Monte
      • Jan 2003
      • Mebane, NC, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

Cabman, I know you want to find a contractor, but chances are his help is going to include a day laborer or two. You could cut out the middleman and be your own GC. Consider this - you've done a patio before so you know what's involved. Then you don't have to worry about finding a contractor. I contracted myself out to my FIL to build the bathroom in my basement this summer. He didn't want me to do it but after one contractor repeatedly didn't show, the other did after a few calls and then was slow with an estimate he gave in. Since he will be gone while the work is done it also saves me having to ride herd on somebody else to get it done.

Anyway, just something to think about. Good luck in your search.
      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Originally posted by crokett
        Cabman, I know you want to find a contractor, but chances are his help is going to include a day laborer or two. You could cut out the middleman and be your own GC. Consider this - you've done a patio before so you know what's involved. Then you don't have to worry about finding a contractor. I contracted myself out to my FIL to build the bathroom in my basement this summer. He didn't want me to do it but after one contractor repeatedly didn't show, the other did after a few calls and then was slow with an estimate he gave in. Since he will be gone while the work is done it also saves me having to ride herd on somebody else to get it done.

Anyway, just something to think about. Good luck in your search.
        For someone who wants to get involved that may work. My point was that I don't want to get involved. Maybe you misunderstood me. I will pay for someone else to do the job.

Comment

• TB Roye
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Sacramento, CA, USA.
          • BT3100

Out here in Ca with the down turn in the housing market there are a lot of now day laborers who used to work for the contractors available for work at the BORG. There are roofers, drywall hangers and concrete and masonry people available. Most of them are trained and know what to do. I used a couple to redo the flagstone garden area for LOML, this was after the contractor screwed it up by cutting corners. Took two worker 2 days to redo it. The next problem area will be a decomposed granite path that the contractor skimped on by just putting a thin layer of decomposed granite over clay, not pretty when it gets wet. I pay $10 an hour and give lunch and rest breaks. My biggest problem is the language barrier, but we manage to communicate enough to get the job done. Would I use them for electrical or plumbing? no, the contractor did but I have other resources for that. I find as i get older my back doesn't like doing this type of work any more so I find the best help I can.

The contractor I used was put out of business for illegal labor practices.

Tom

Comment

• JoeyGee
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2005
            • Sylvania, OH, USA.
            • BT3100-1

If it was the middle of winter I woud do it for food and a place to stay, LOL.
            Joe

Comment

• crokett
              The Full Monte
              • Jan 2003
              • Mebane, NC, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000

That's cool. I read it thinking your wife didn't want you doing it because it is heavy, hard work.
              David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• cabinetman
                Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

Originally posted by crokett
                That's cool. I read it thinking your wife didn't want you doing it because it is heavy, hard work.
                Yeah, that's it.

Comment

• Russianwolf
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2004
                  • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
                  • One of them there Toy saws

I feel your pain,go read the update I did in my AC thread and you'll see that after asking for nearly half a dozen contractors for quotes on ductless mini-splits I received 1 and wound up going with one of the quotes I got about a year ago. Now there is a 16 SEER American Standard unit outside waiting for the electrician to double check things before they turn it on tomorrow.

Did I go with the cheapest? No. I went with a reasonable amount on the best system offered. I had quotes ranging from 4800-13000...I'll have paid 5400 when I give me a working system tomorrow.
                  Mike
                  Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• jnesmith
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Tallahassee, FL, USA.

I've had similar experiences. Even in a down economy, I've had contractors and other service providers not return calls, not return emails, not show up for appointments. It's crazy.

For the past 6 or 7 years I have been keeping a white list of local contractors - painters; plumbers; electricians; HVAC guys, etc... Between those that I have had personal experience with, and a few others that good friends have had very positive experience with, I have most things covered.

I also have a black list, but it is much shorter.

WRT day-labors: I've used them. I used them to pull up every single bit of landscaping in our front yard, so I could re-landscape. It was full of large, overgrown shrubs that were a bear to remove, and I was doing the work in August, here in Florida. 2 Guys busted their butts for 8 hours, and saved me from heat stroke and a broken back. This job obviously did not require as much skill as paving, but it was a positive experience.
                    John

Comment

Working...