• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Contractor Problems

You would think in these times that getting bids from contractors would be easy. Not so. Many don't even bother to call you back after leaving a message. I have an area at the rear of the house that's 15' x 20' that I want pavers installed.

That whole area was covered with pavers when we bought this house 12 years ago. When we had to hook up to the sewer system, I had to remove about half the pavers in order to get to the septic tank. The pavers were never installed correctly by a previous owner, just installed on dirt. So, I have all the pavers to go back down, and all I need is the installation, the sand, and border brick provided.

The first call I made, the contractor didn't show for the appointment and didn't call to make other arrangements. Then a day later I called him and he came over and gave a bid. I wanted more estimates, so I went online to a site where you fill out a form and it's submitted to participating contractors.

After I hit the submit button, the list of participating contractors is listed, and that first guy was one of them. He called me and was irate as all get out. He really blew his top that I would be still looking for bids, and that he feels I wasted his time. I did all I could to calm him down and explain that I didn't know he was on the list.

Well, in a rage he yelled "Take me off your list". So, I did. I've gotten two bids since and each one had a different process, but their prices were similar. So, I don't know which is better.

Yesterday, one of the bidders was very knowledgeable, and I was ready to sign an agreement. He wanted half down in cash or a check written to his name and not his company. He is located about 40 miles from me. He stated he needed the money to buy materials. He was the only bidder that needed money up front.

This meeting took place about 5:30 P.M. yesterday, and he said he could show up at 10:00 A.M today ready to start. His whole spiel seemed just like a scam, so that set off bells to us and we said thanks for coming out.

We are considering one other bidder as he was very matter of fact and had his act together. You would think that giving out work would be easier than all this.

• BigguyZ
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2006
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Yeah, it's nuts. With the tornado damage around here, it's a feeding frenzy. I'm sure there's going to be a LOT of people taken for a ride, which is sad.

Comment

• RAFlorida
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2008
      • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
      • Ryobi BT3000

Mike, I've seen the change how contractors

are becoming total jerks, like they're doing us a favor. The first dude was out of line. A contractor KNOWS that a customer is going to call and see who will do the job cheaper and faster. That's the cost of doing business, and you know that, I know that. The other contractor stay away from him like you stated. Too much money up front and then check written to him and not the company! Wow, big time scam it seems like.
      Is it possible that you could do the job and save?

Comment

• cabinetman
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Originally posted by RAFlorida
        are becoming total jerks, like they're doing us a favor. The first dude was out of line. A contractor KNOWS that a customer is going to call and see who will do the job cheaper and faster. That's the cost of doing business, and you know that, I know that. The other contractor stay away from him like you stated. Too much money up front and then check written to him and not the company! Wow, big time scam it seems like.
        Is it possible that you could do the job and save?
        I've been wanting to do it myself. As you know it's hot as all get out, it was in the high 90's today, with about 90% RH. I have a bad knee (needs surgery). Besides, I don't wanna. I just think about all the digging and leveling, adding the sand, tamping and then handling all the pavers...NO THANK YOU.

BTW...LOML is against me doing it.

Comment

• herb fellows
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2007
          • New York City
          • bt3100

Around here, they wouldn't touch the job if you were supplying the pavers. They want to make a mark up on that also.
          You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• toolguy1000
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2009
            • westchester cnty, ny

you don't need any contractor who doesn't need your work.

on the rare occasions i've hired people, i never give more than a 10% deposit on contract signing. if they don't have trade credit, you don't want them. and i've always established a payment schedule based on the portion of project completed. always keep 10% back till the final project puch list is completed. always remember to thoroughly check out references. this is imperative.
            there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• crokett
              The Full Monte
              • Jan 2003
              • Mebane, NC, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000

You are retired, right? Cruise on by your local BORG int the morning, bring back a couple day laborers. Sit on the porch with your beverage of choice and direct em. Pay em at the end of the day and your patio is done.
              David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• cabinetman
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

Originally posted by crokett
                You are retired, right? Cruise on by your local BORG int the morning, bring back a couple day laborers. Sit on the porch with your beverage of choice and direct em. Pay em at the end of the day and your patio is done.
                Thanks for your suggestion. Would you let day labor do your project? I would want a responsible (licensed and insured) experienced contractor. Then I could sit back with my beverage of choice.

Comment

• crokett
                  The Full Monte
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Mebane, NC, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3000

Sorry, reading that again, it could be construed as smart-alecked. That was not my intent. The answer is it depends on the project, and yes I have used day labor before. Would I use day labor to lay a patio on a site that was already mostly prepped and I could supervise? You bet. Most of the work is lifting and moving heavy things. If I were not there to supervise or it were a skilled trade like electrical work, then I would not.
                  Last edited by crokett; 06-17-2011, 01:45 PM.
                  David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• radhak
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2006
                    • Miramar, FL
                    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

I've always had contractor problems : quotes for installing recess lights ranged from $300 to $850! Many of them would not pick up calls, or return calls, or not turn up when promised - finally the guy who did the job charged me $550 and has become my 'steady' electrician. I'm gonna nurture this relationship. Wanted a granite sink made and installed for the bathroom, and only got lucky with the 4th guy; maybe the rest were aiming big and $500 was not enough to lure them.

Pavers - I had exactly the same experience. Two were eager to come over and give the initial estimate, then vanished. Another gave me an estimate on the phone, but wanted me a retainer of $100, sight unseen. Finally, I grabbed this guy who was paving some house in the neighborhood, made him come over, and his estimate was around half that of the others : $3.50 per sq.ft, including material and labor. He did the job as promised, except that he said his team would take 1 day, and ended up taking 5 !

And of course, he vanished after taking the advance leaving his team behind none of whom knew any english, so I could not even ask them to call him back! But at least I have a paved back-yard! It's been 2 years and it has stood up well. (This guy bought the material from GemPavers, and said the rates were the same, no matter what the pattern).

But with that experience, I think Crokett's suggestion has some value. The task does not take too much brain-power or even experience; it is 95% heavy labor; if along with your beer keg you had a print-out of 'how to' from the web in your hands, you could easily direct a couple of day-laborers to get a decent output. I daresay with your experience in other similar work, you may not even need that printout!
                    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                    - Aristotle

Comment

• cabinetman
                      • Jun 2006
                      • So. Florida
                      • Delta

Originally posted by radhak
                      The task does not take too much brain-power or even experience; it is 95% heavy labor; if along with your beer keg you had a print-out of 'how to' from the web in your hands, you could easily direct a couple of day-laborers to get a decent output. I daresay with your experience in other similar work, you may not even need that printout!
                      Thanks for the vote of confidence. I was going to do it but LOML said no. She went on about how hot it is, and how much bending and the handling of the pavers would be required. I have a knee that needs surgery, and my hands aren't up to that kind of work. Besides, hiring a questionable day crew, I'd still have to go rent a tamper, order the sand, and then the fun would begin. My neighbor did that and his driveway looks OK for a quick glance. But he has problems with it getting wavy and the edge pavers breaking and separating. But...he did save money doing it himself.

I've done pavers before. I did a sidewalk to my shed, 540 pavers. Not fun at all. My feeling is that jobs like that it's best leave to those that do it every day.

Comment

• newbie2wood
                        Established Member
                        • Apr 2004
                        • NJ, USA.

You need to get a few more estimates. The first guy was definitely out of line. I would have hung up the phone on him or jerk his chain some more for the fun of it. If any contractor does not return your calls or failed to show up, go on to the next contractor on your list. Its an indication that the contractor is not reliable or too busy. Also get a local contractor, not one that is 40 miles away. I used a deck guy that was 45 min from my house. He built a very nice deck but it was a pain in the neck to get him to do any minor repair or even to look at a problem.

Many contractors will ask for money upfront. In my area, the standard payment is 1/3 at the start of the job, 1/3 after half of the job is completed, and 1/3 after final inspection. I also had contractors ask me for money to buy materials. Instead of handling the money directly to the contractor, I prefer to pay for the materials at the store or to the contractor's supplier.

Comment

• natausch
                          Established Member
                          • Aug 2009
                          • Aurora, IL
                          • BT3000 - 15A

We've had good luck with plumbers and electricans, very bad luck with painters.

Now it's time to re-roof (tear off) and we're nervous as all...

Two reasonable bids on a 40x60 colonial with an attached garage and a porch

$5,300 or $6,300. Both using architectural shingles, tear off, and some gutter work, but the lower has a 5 year workmanship and 25 prorated on the product, the $6,300 has a lifetime on workmanship and product, 50 years not pro-rated and transferrable in the first 20 years...

As much as more money is annoying, at the least the hope is that they'll stand by the warrenty document.

Comment

• radhak
                            Veteran Member
                            • Apr 2006
                            • Miramar, FL
                            • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Originally posted by cabinetman
                            My feeling is that jobs like that it's best leave to those that do it every day.

For sure - come to think of it, you might be hassled a bit hunting for a good contractor, but once you get him, he takes away all the rest of hassle from you - money well spent at the end. And there are some good contractors out there!
                            It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                            - Aristotle

Comment

• cabinetman
                              • Jun 2006
                              • So. Florida
                              • Delta

Originally posted by radhak
                              For sure - come to think of it, you might be hassled a bit hunting for a good contractor, but once you get him, he takes away all the rest of hassle from you - money well spent at the end. And there are some good contractors out there!
                              NEWS FLASH I signed a contract with one contractor today. Come to find out after the fact that he doesn't have WC insurance.

So...back to the search.

Comment

Working...