• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mclear6
    Established Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Northern NJ

Drywall primer/sealer

Is there any preferred drywall primer/sealer for new drywall?

I am leaning towards the Glidden PVA primer/sealer $34/5 gallons

the Behr was $54/5 gallons

I am priming the whole house of a new construction. I am thinking that I will need at least 30 gallons of primer.
  • Mr__Bill
    Veteran Member
    • May 2007
    • Tacoma, WA
    • BT3000

All the primer does is seal the surface, it need not turn it white. I have been told that the least expensive primer is the preferred choice for priming drywall. Apply liberally and don't worry if it looks strange.

Bill

Comment

• jon_ramp
      Established Member
      • Feb 2007
      • western Chicago burb
      • Craftsman 21829

I've used Behr and another cheaper brand (can't remember now what it was) and could not tell a difference. If you know that the finish coat of the wall is going to be dark and potentially hard to cover in one coat, Home Depot will tint the primer for you if you have chosen the final color.

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

I like to have the primer tinted a little different color than the finish to keep the painters honest. That way the finish has to cover the whole wall and not just skipped over.
        capncarl.

Comment

• JimD
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2003
          • Lexington, SC.

I used Glidden ceiling paint as both the primer and finish on the ceiling in my basement. It looked a little grey going on but dried nicely white. For the money I think it was fine.

I don't think the primer for drywall is critical. But for softwood trim, I think you HAVE to use something that will block the sap from coming through. The painters in my house used Sherwin Williams primer for everything (it sands well) and the house looked good when we moved in but the knots appears in a couple months. I asked the builder about it but he didn't want to offer options. I should have insisted.

Jim

Comment

Working...