• Show
Clear All
  • Richard in Smithville
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • On the TARDIS
    • BT 3100

Cracks In P.T. Posts-Need Advice

Background: My seven year old nephew, Matthew, lives with his grandparents. Matthew battles with cerebral palsy and is in a wheel chair most of the day. A couple of years ago a group gave their time and materials and built a ramp( to code) for him to get in and out of his house. Recently one of the posts has developed a large crack deep into the wood. The posts were cemented into the footings so it's not easy to remove the post. Is there an epoxy or caulk that can be injected into the crack to keep it a little more solid. My mother-in-law is concerned that it might let go while Matthew is travelling over the section.

Thanks for the help
    From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/
  • Daryl
    • May 2004

There are different post bases that you could stub on and not have to replace the entire post.
    Bases and caps are an integral part of structural systems. Post and column bases secure the bottom of wood posts or columns to concrete foundation. Post and column caps support beams and transfer the loads from the structure above into the post or column.

You could also drill the required number of holes and put bolts in and pull the crack back togehter.
    Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

In Japan, for the equivalent of a 4 inch post, most posts had a 2 inch slit (approx 1/8" kerf) run the entire length of the post to relieve stress during humidity and temp swings to prevent the cracking. It was very effective.

In your case, 1. If the crack is vertical for the length of the post, 2. plus it runs primarily on one side the whole length, and 3. it does not go deeper than the center of the post, it should not affect the structural strength. IF the crack is all the way through the post, that is another matter. I would see about something along the lines of what Daryl posted.

IF you fill the crack with epoxy or putty, it will only exacerbate the problem in the long run. Wood moves with humidity changes and some more than others. Putty/epoxy will only prevent the movement and cause the wood to seek stress relief in another area during humidity swings, IMHO.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Stytooner
        Roll Tide RIP Lee
        • Dec 2002
        • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
        • BT3100

You can also sister 2 x 4s to both sides using standard screws or lags. Best would be through carriage bolts.
        Usually posts like this are right from the heart of small trees. Cracks are very typical, but may not pose a problem. It would not hurt to add structure to it though.
        Lee

Comment

• knotley
          Established Member
          • Apr 2003
          • Canada.

I have used WEST system on boats. It is also good for Home projects.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

if you are really concerned about its splitting in one direction, I would do as someone sugested and put some carriage bolts thru it. Maybe countersink both ends so that there's nothing for anyone to get cauht on and hurt. A couple of bolts should do.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...