• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • npregion2
    Forum Newbie
    • Oct 2003
    • Medina, oh, USA.

Old deck board removal

I am in the process of removing my old decking boards and replacing them with composite decking. The old deck boards are nailed down. Has anyone used http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/DDW-...i_sku=DDW-0001 before and how well does it work?
    I am also open to any ideas on the best way to remove the old decking.

Thanks.
  • JSUPreston
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • Montgomery, AL.
    • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

When I rebuilt a couple of decks about 10 years ago, I just used a regular pry bar and my hammers. That tool you listed would've been nice, but I'm too cheap and impatient to order something like that.

I just remembered I also used my circ saw to make some relief cuts to make it easier to tear up the boards, since one of the decks was 14' wide.
    "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

if you already started and aren't just looking for some new tools, I'd see how i do with my normal complement of tools which surely would include some wrecking bars of the $10 variety instead of a $68 tool.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Tom Slick
        Veteran Member
        • May 2005
        • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
        • sears BT3 clone

I have a Gutster, it's an amazing tool. It'll get the same job done but is more multi-purpose than the duck bill

✅The Gutster Demo Bar is undeniably the most versatile demolition tool on the market today! Invented because TIME MATTERS! ✅The Gutster Demo Bar, has a unique bend in the handle, and lifting plate on the head, which ensures that ​every ounce of energy​ you put into your job, ​destroys​ what’s in front of you! ✅And if you and your team aren’t using the right tool for the job... your competition is getting ahead! ✅Having a Gutster Demo Bar means, you have a tool that accomplishes a multitude of different tasks. ✅Gone are the days of putting down your tool, and hunting around the jobsite, or going out to the truck for another tool to finish your work. The less time you are doing that, the more time you are working, and the more money you are making.

Kyle's latest tool, "The Gutster" is made to rip out flooring fast. It totally saved his back this week, not to mention all the time...
        Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• npregion2
          Forum Newbie
          • Oct 2003
          • Medina, oh, USA.

Thanks, the gutster does look like a more versatile tool and virtually the same price.

Comment

• JoeyGee
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2005
            • Sylvania, OH, USA.
            • BT3100-1

Could you rent something like that? I like to rent, especially if I don't see myself using it much more than the job I need it for. That way I save money and do not have to worry about storing it--and I am usually in more "inspired" to get the job done to get the tool back .

That is, if HF doesn't have what I am looking for for around the same price as renting it.
            Joe

Comment

• Tom Slick
              Veteran Member
              • May 2005
              • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
              • sears BT3 clone

HF used to sell gutsters. A gutster costs about $60, how much cheaper could you rent one for a couple of days?
              Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• SilentSam
                Forum Newbie
                • Oct 2010
                • Richmond, VA, USA

Originally posted by npregion2
                I am in the process of removing my old decking boards and replacing them with composite decking. The old deck boards are nailed down. Has anyone used http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/DDW-...i_sku=DDW-0001 before and how well does it work?
                I am also open to any ideas on the best way to remove the old decking.

Thanks.
                Purchased and have been using the duck bill tool since last week. Going to put new wood on and saving all the old boards for a fence and other projects. I will purchase a gutster tool too at some point. The duck bill tool has one major advantage specifically when working decks. You can work from one edge while keeping your feet on top of the solid decking. The only other tool I have found is a must have when taking off nailed boards is a decent nail puller. Some thing like the [URL="http://www.nailextractor.com/"] Nail Extractor/URL]. The deck I am working on, half the nails are in the joists and half are in the boards. The duck bill tool makes it quick work and an extractor for the nails in the joists after the heads pop off would be icing on the cake.

The guster will straddle joists like the duck bill but it keeps you on the akward side of the work. Not to say you can't put some boards down to work off of. I just felt a little safer working off the deck boards nailed down.

I like both tools and each has their pros & cons. We get in a lot of clear pine & poplar pallets at work and I also use the tool there too. Makes for half decent small project work in my shop. Hope this helps.

SS

Comment

• npregion2
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Oct 2003
                  • Medina, oh, USA.

Thanks to all of you, as always this forum is the greatest place to get information.

Nick

Comment

• CaptRandy
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Apr 2011
                    • Warrington PA/Ocean City NJ
                    • skil

Remove one or two boards then use sawzall to cut nails on rest. Problem is dispose of them.

Comment

Working...