X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

Faulty security light

Have a motion-sensing outdoor light in my carport that stopped working awhile back, and I'm just now getting around to fixing it. I thought the bulbs went bad, but I just tested one today.

Would the sensor itself go bad, and is that something that I could switch out? Replacing the whole unit is an option, but it's not on a switch and I have no idea what circuit it is on to turn off the breaker.

Solutions?
    I have a little blog about my shop
  • conwaygolfer
    Established Member
    • Jun 2008
    • Conway, SC.
    • BT3000

The sensor went bad on my garage light this winter. I priced a new sensor and found it cheaper to buy the whole light and swap the sensors. This was from Lowes.
    You could always put it in the "test" mode and have someone switch off the breakers one at a time until the light goes out. This will tell you which circuit it is on. The other option would be to touch the hot and ground wires together and blow the breaker. Not the best option, but it will work.

Conwaygolfer

Comment

• Cochese
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2010

I did try it in test mode and it still didn't work, I'm not sure what that means.

Comment

• gsmittle
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2004
        • St. Louis, MO, USA.
        • BT 3100

Originally posted by CocheseUGA
        I did try it in test mode and it still didn't work, I'm not sure what that means.
        Sounds like it means it's time for a new light…

g.
        Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
        Bill & Ted

Comment

• BobSch
          • Aug 2004
          • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
          • BT3100

If it didn't work in test mode are you sure it's getting power? Start by checking your breakers to see if one is tripped. Just don't make the mistake I did in thinking a popped breaker's handle would go all the way to the Off position instead of halfway.
          Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• Cochese
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2010

Yeah, just looked at my box. Everything seems to be on.

Comment

• charliex
              • Mar 2004
              • Spring Valley, MN, USA.
              • Sears equivelent BT3100-1

I'm with Bob, make sure it's got power. Could be a bad connection behind the light or a on/off switch that you are not aware that it's connected. Test mode bypasses the sensor and makes a direct connection. You can buy a low priced non-contact tester to see if there is power. They are a nice addition to a general purpose tool box. Conway suggests the "short it out and see what smokes" test that one of my instructors suggested as a "if all else fails do this method" of finding a bad component.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by charliex
                I'm with Bob, make sure it's got power. Could be a bad connection behind the light or a on/off switch that you are not aware that it's connected. Test mode bypasses the sensor and makes a direct connection. You can buy a low priced non-contact tester to see if there is power. They are a nice addition to a general purpose tool box. Conway suggests the "short it out and see what smokes" test that one of my instructors suggested as a "if all else fails do this method" of finding a bad component.
                I agree with get a non contact sensor-that's the easy way to see if the wires are live.
                I don't really like the short it out and see what happens approach. You could damage wiring in the wall and then what?
                If all else fails, and you don't know which breaker controls it you can't tell if it has power, then turn off power to the WHOLE HOUSE at the main breaker then replace the fixture (even with a just a base and a known good bulb) or a voltmeter and restore the house power to see if you have power. Once you figure that out then you can trouble shoot the power wiring and switches the same way or replace the fixture if there is power there.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Cochese
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jun 2010

Came home last night and it was working.

Different scenarios I can think of:

1) Reseated the bulb after I tested it
                  2) Fixed the settings as I was actually able to see them
                  3) I tested it during daylight, it's been so long perhaps it only works at night.
                  4) The wiring in the carport have a short/wire was loose and when I unscrewed one of the stems it made it work again.

I'm leaning toward the latter, but I'll just keep an eye on it.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

1 or 3 sounds most likely. Lots of motion sensor lights work only at night, the motion sensor circuit also detects ambient light and factors it in. Are you sure it wasn't working, at night, all along?
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Cochese
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jun 2010

Oh, it definitely wasn't working for a good six months or so. Entry at night wasn't the safest proposition.

I had thought it worked during the day too, but I can't say for sure.

Comment

Working...