• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ivwshane
    Established Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Sacramento CA

Fireplace surround clarification questions

I was looking at building a fireplace surround (its a wood burning fireplace) and knew that clearance codes varied by locale. So I called my local building inspector and he said that I can put anything around my fireplace as long as there is 12"+ clearance from the opening of the fire box. He said that for every inch of clearance I can have the material extrude 1/8".

So if I have 8" of clearance I can have the trim protrude 1" from the face of the fireplace.

Does that mean something like this wouldn't be acceptable?

• jdon
    Established Member
    • Feb 2010
    • Snoqualmie, Wash.
    • BT3100

This may be a stupid question, but can't you just run the photo by the inspector. Looks gorgeous!

Also, have you considered as an alternative one of those "miracle Amish fireplace mantels"?????

Comment

• parnelli
      • Aug 2004
      • bt3100

The top looks like 12 inches to me- so that'd be fine I think.

The sides might be a bit closer especially at the bottom- so I think they'd need to either be thin or moved further out.

Right?

Comment

• ivwshane
        Established Member
        • Dec 2003
        • Sacramento CA

Yeah, it's the sides that concern me.

I could run it by the inspector but that wont be until next week and I really just want to make sure I'm understanding the code requirements correctly.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by ivwshane
          I was looking at building a fireplace surround (its a wood burning fireplace) and knew that clearance codes varied by locale. So I called my local building inspector and he said that I can put anything around my fireplace as long as there is 12"+ clearance from the opening of the fire box. He said that for every inch of clearance I can have the material extrude 1/8".

So if I have 8" of clearance I can have the trim protrude 1" from the face of the fireplace.

...[/IMG]
          so if you need 12+ inches clearance, then it sounds like 8" would not be acceptable regardless of the protrusion.

If you have the legal minimum 12" clearance then you can have 12/8" or 1.5" protrusion, max.

unless i'm not understanding it as you related.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• JR
            The Full Monte
            • Feb 2004
            • Eugene, OR
            • BT3000

I think you have the correct idea on this. My town has the same spec, which they have boiled down to a pdf, which can be found here.

HTH,
            JR
            JR

Comment

• ivwshane
              Established Member
              • Dec 2003
              • Sacramento CA

Thanks.

I guess I'll have to get creative

Comment

• Stytooner
                Roll Tide RIP Lee
                • Dec 2002
                • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                • BT3100

I think to get closer than the specified 12", you have to use something like Marble or Granite. I have often seen those type mantels snugged right up to the fire box opening or at least pretty close. Formed concrete would be another choice.
                When I built the one in my FIL's house, the code was only 12" around. No protrusion spec. The sides wound up being about 4" out and the top shelf was about 8".

Building inspectors love to see actual plans and material lists.
                Draw up the mantel you would like to do and run it by them.

A screen or curtain is a must as well. They help contain any sparks.
                Lee

Comment

• RAFlorida
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2008
                  • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
                  • Ryobi BT3000

Our fireplace has similar codes.

But in addition, as Lee noted, a screen AND tempered glass bifold at the opening of the fireplace. Your picture is without scale and hard to get actual measurements, but I think your protrusions fail to meet the code.

Comment

• pelligrini
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2007
                    • Fort Worth, TX
                    • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by JR
                    I think you have the correct idea on this. My town has the same spec, which they have boiled down to a pdf, which can be found here.

HTH,
                    JR
                    That's a pretty good writeup from the CBC. It is alo in line with the IRC too.

That section is really for masonry fireplaces, for Factory-built fireplaces most codes state that hearth extensions and surrounds be installed in accordance to the manufacturers listing. The codes for the masonry boxes are usually the most restrictive.

If you want your mantle to appear deeper at the edges where it returns to the wall you can build out the front of the firebox opening, covered with non-combustible material. So if you build it out 5" and do an 8" tile surround, the wood mantle can protrude 1", then you'll have a 6" reveal on the sides of the mantle.
                    Erik

Comment

Working...