• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

air connector outside the garage

I was thinking the other day about putting an airport on the outside of my garage. No, a QC fitting, not a runway...

the Air compressor is not too far from the wall between the big door and the people door. I frequently run the air hose out to air up tires, blow out dusty things, and to run air nailers when i assemble a larger project on the patio nearby. But I don't like it going thru the doors.

So I was thinking about drilling a 1/2" hole and running a small (4" or 6") of 1/4" pipe nipple thru it. Clamp the pipe to the 2x4 stud running next to the hole, and put male QC stud on the inside and a female QC on the outside. Most of the time I would leave a hose connected between the inside stud and the compressor manifold.

I usually turn off the compresor when not being used.

Good idea, bad idea? Negative for future owners? Better ideas?
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-31-2010, 12:37 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • eccentrictinkerer
    • Aug 2007
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • BT-3000, 21829

I think it's a great idea! I put QC fitting on the side of my garage and hooked up a little pancake compressor set at 40 psi to it.

The neighbor kids and their parents know it's there and and they come to air up their bike tires and wheelbarrow tires. (I've got the compressor on a timer so it doesn't cycle on through the night.)

I was prompted to install the 'airport' by memories of the little Sinclair gas station on the main street behind my Grandpa's house. The owner, Mr. Russ, let me drag out and hook up the air hose every morning during the summer.

The neighborhood kids were impressed that I knew where the air gauge was kept and that I knew how to use it!

I was also sort of in charge of reminding the other kids not to step on the hose in the driveway that rang the bell! I may have 'accidentally' stepped on that hose a few times myself, now that I think about it.

My services were rewarded by an ice-cold grape Nehi every now and then from the cooler by the door.
    Last edited by eccentrictinkerer; 08-31-2010, 01:49 AM.
    You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
    of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

I piped from the garage (back of house) through the wall to the front of the house 50', ending with a QD. I've done so much remodeling in the house, I piped another QD through the wall from the garage to the house and mounted a QD on the inside of a base cabinet on that wall. It's really convenient, and beats having a door open for a hose.

Comment

• woodturner
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2008
        • Western Pennsylvania
        • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN

Good idea, bad idea? Negative for future owners? Better ideas?
        Seems like a good idea to me. Rather than buy multiple compressors, I have run piping from one compressor to the shop, the garage, etc. I have installed an external quick connect on both the shop and the garage for convenience.

Don't think it would be a big negative come resale time, and is easily fixed if it is.
        --------------------------------------------------
        Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• Daryl
          • May 2004

I suggest yoiu use larger than quarter inch pipe. And have the supply line tilt back towards the compressor and take the drop from the top of the supply line.
          Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• mnmphd
            Forum Newbie
            • Feb 2006

I would consider some type of cover for the outside quick connect
            to protect it random debris, spiders etc. As for future owners, this is easy enough to remove and patch the hole if needed.

Comment

• atgcpaul
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2003
              • Maryland
              • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by mnmphd
              I would consider some type of cover for the outside quick connect to protect it random debris, spiders etc.
              That's what I was thinking, too. Although, I wonder what a spider looks like
              coming out the skinny end of an air blowgun.

Comment

• RAFlorida
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2008
                • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
                • Ryobi BT3000

I ran a QD to the outside

of my workshop south wall. It's a time saver when the air is needed for various reasons. Being through the wall and small, I don't think it'll ever be a negative if we ever sell.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 2007
                  • Tacoma, WA
                  • BT3000

I think it's a good idea. Rather than straight out I would put a 45 fitting so the QD angled down to reduce stress on the fitting, or a 90 and fit the whole works into a weather/rain resistance plastic cover for an outlet. There are some that are deep enough to have the cord plugged in and the cover closed.

I had a friend who had an air hose and water hose on reals with the ends poking through the garage wall next to the roll up door. Real handy. One day he came out and the kids were playing gas station and guess which hose was used for the gas pump....

Bill

Comment

• billwmeyer
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2003
                    • Weir, Ks, USA.
                    • BT3000

I was thinking about the old service stations also. I used to work part time at one for $1.00 per hour. I think it is a great idea. If you do angle the pipe outside, make sure that condensation won't build up in it to get a winter freeze.

Bill
                    "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• cwsmith
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2005
                      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                      • BT3100-1

Good idea!

Just make sure you've installed your line to prevent condensate from accumulating in the line, to the point where it might possibly flow back into the compressor (if the supply line is long you don't want the supply line tilting back toward the compressor, unless you install a drain leg before the compressor outlet... moisture does not compress and if your compressor takes a slug, you'll damage the running parts).

But as you describe, you line will be quite short (6" or so), so I don't see any challenge there.

As far as a cover is concerned (good idea), you could use one of those covers like they use for outside faucets, here in the NE. Or, you could simply cut a piece of PVC, with a pipe cap and slide it over the external connection. Unless you have a lot of insects/spiders, the main thing would be to keep the connection protected from weather moisture.

Having an outside air connection will prove to be a great advantage I am sure,

CWS
                      Last edited by cwsmith; 08-31-2010, 04:36 PM.
                      Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• eezlock
                        • Feb 2006
                        • Charlotte,N.C.
                        • BT3100

air connector outside the garage

It is a good idea to have an air quick disconnect outside the building for sure.
                        You could buy an inexpensive weatherproof electrical outlet cover and mount it
                        over the air hose connection outside...would help keep dirt, bugs and varmits
                        away.

Comment

• gsmittle
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 2004
                          • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                          • BT 3100

Originally posted by atgcpaul
                          That's what I was thinking, too. Although, I wonder what a spider looks like
                          coming out the skinny end of an air blowgun.
                          Arachnid pureé? Spider mush?

g.
                          Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                          Bill & Ted

Comment

Working...