• Show
Clear All
  • Alex Franke
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2007
    • Chapel Hill, NC
    • Ryobi BT3100

How do I reprint text on painted metal?

I'm planning to repaint a couple of our appliances, but I'm not exactly sure how to get the text back on them after I do (e.g. the markings for the dials and buttons) -- is that something I'd need to silkscreen or should I try to find a service that will print custom decals? I don't want it to look cheap, but I don't really have experience with either of these -- so I don't know what would work best...

Any ideas?
    online at http://www.theFrankes.com
    while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
    "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

New knobs and buttons can be had at an appliance repair shop. That's probably the best way to go.

JR
    JR

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

For such an application I would simply use a Brother P-touch labeler and a clear-backed tape with black lettering so the background would show thru. If you don't already have the tapes they're about $10. Clean the panel well and they'll stick fine but the outline of the tape will show... but good enough for the utility room...

Except for a sharpie marker about everything else would take some artwork - you could measure and layout on a computer CAD program the you would have to go to a service to have a silkscreen made (best for multiple panels) or a label decal made. Which you would apply to a empty panel (remove all knobs the remove the controls from the back). With a silkscreen you'd have to pay to make the silkscreen then apply the silkscreen and paint to a flat (meaning again you have to take all the stuff off of it). Maybe it has to be brought to the place where they do the silkscreening so you'll have to disassemble your appliance..

Yeah, P-touch is looking better....
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-22-2010, 03:37 PM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Lonnie in Orlando
        • May 2003
        • Orlando, FL, USA.
        • BT3000

Disclaimer ...
        I have absolutely no idea about the following. I saw it in a post on the Antique Fan Collectors forum. A member used "Micro Mask" to mask off areas for painting. It's kinda like liquid masking tape. So you must cut the area to be pained manually.
        http://afca.mywowbb.com/forum1/14433.html

Here is info on Micro Mask:
        http://www.microscale.com/Merchant2/...roduct_Count=2

While I was reading about Micro Mask, I also saw printable decals. Maybe you could print them for your appliances. Clear coat for protection from wear.
        http://bare-metal.com/Experts-Choice-Decal-Film.html

- Lonnie
        OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all

Comment

• gjat
          • Nov 2005
          • Valrico (Tampa), Florida.
          • BT3100

Go to a trophy shop and have the make new labels for you. We have them do plastic and metal labels for us. If I recal, they're less than $2 each. Different places have different methods. I believe the big cost is layou out and some will accept your layout if in the correct format.

Comment

• woodturner
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2008
            • Western Pennsylvania
            • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by Lonnie in Orlando
            Here is info on Micro Mask
            Note that you still have to cut out the letters with a knife - which is difficult to do and have it look "right" - it's difficult to be precise enough that the letters look the same and consistent.

It's relatively inexpensive to have thin metal etched. You can print the artwork on your printer, send the file or hard copy to the etch house, and they will edge thin metal (.020"?) to make a mask. This mask can then be used for silk screening or spray painting.

If you could find a hobbyist with a CNC machine, they could machine the masks as well.
            --------------------------------------------------
            Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• Mr__Bill
              Veteran Member
              • May 2007
              • Tacoma, WA
              • BT3000

I'm not sure it's still available but..
              Press Type. It comes on a sheet with a bunch of letters and you place it and rub it on to whatever you want type on. Used before desk top publishing for photo ready setup that went to the printer when you didn't have a LinoType machine.

If you find it after setting the type give it a clear coat to protect it.

Bill

Comment

• cwsmith
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2005
                • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                • BT3100-1

My apologies for not having the time to explore this more indepth... but just a quicky:

Years ago, 3M used to make a very nice product called "Image-N-Transfer".

Basically it was for making your own rub off decals. It required a photo negative (you get one from your local printer) and then light exposure through the negative against the I-N-T and then a splash of the chemical and a little rubbing and you have your image. You then rub it off onto your panel or whatever and then a little shellac or laquer to fix it and you were set. The I-N-T was available in common colors, including black, white, red, green, blue, and yellow, as I recall.

Like so many other graphic supplies, I am not sure this is still available. It used to be a nice product for making model train decals.

I did do a Google for "Image N Transfer" and got several hits. I unfortunately don't have time to investigate (my apologies)... but I did look at this: http://www.mat.uc.pt/~pedro/ncientif...e-delcals.html

It appears to discuss several applications.

I hope this helps,

CWS
                Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• phrog
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2005
                  • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

To make a decal for a model airplane, I used something similar to what Lonnie in Orlando mentioned, Clear Decal Paper for an Inkjet. You can see it here: http://www.micromark.com/SearchResul...chPhrase=decal or here: http://www.micromark.com/CLEAR-DECAL...EETS,7942.html

Unfortunately, since it is clear, you can't use white unless your printer has white ink. They also sell white decal paper but my decal didn't need white to be accurate. You have to be careful when cutting out the white decal after finishing your printing.

I scanned an old torn decal into my computer, used Photoshop to "repair" it, and then printed to the clear decal paper. This made a "new" decal.

I don't know how this would stand up to wear and tear on an appliance, however.
                  Last edited by phrog; 08-23-2010, 09:28 PM.
                  Richard

Comment

Working...