• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by pecker
    I recently bought some synthetic trim called TUF Board at Home Depot.
    16ft 1 x 8's were about $35 each. For the amount of trim around your window I doubt it would cost more than $50.

http://www.tufboard.net/products/trimboard
    Originally posted by pelligrini
    Hardie also makes trim boards to match your fiber cement siding. I believe they are cheaper than any PVC or other composites. Around here a 3/4x4x12' goes for less than $10

http://www.jameshardie.com/homeowner..._hardietrim.py

At those prices and if I only had one window to do, I would definitely jump on it, but HD and Lowes around here
    only carry 1x stock. The trim around my window is a true 5/4. I can't use the thinner stock because then the
    ends of my siding will stick out past the trim. I'm only assuming that since the price of 1x PVC is already more
    than the price of 5/4 fingerjointed, that the price of 5/4 PVC will be A LOT more.

I know of two dedicated lumber suppliers but I can only make it there on the weekend. We'll see what this
    weekend brings.
    Last edited by atgcpaul; 08-10-2010, 12:33 PM.

Comment

• wft3
      Forum Newbie
      • Dec 2003
      • NOVA, (Washington, DC)
      • BT3100

Use PVC cement to glue up the pvc boards...use screws as clamps and then remove screws and machine to 5/4 thickness

Comment

• TCAS
        Forum Newbie
        • Feb 2006

HardieTrim comes in 1x and 5/4 boards of 2.5", 3.5", 5.5", 7.25" and 11.25" actual widths and lengths of 10 feet.

Comment

• woodturner
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 2008
          • Western Pennsylvania
          • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by atgcpaul
          At those prices and if I only had one window to do, I would definitely jump on it, but HD and Lowes around here
          only carry 1x stock.
          Both will order the 5/4 Hardiplank trim I mentioned earlier in the thread. Just go to the pro desk and ask them to order it.

As a bonus, if you only order a few pieces, they typically shipped it strapped to some pretty decent 1x12's. I ordered two pieces of soffit and got two 12' clear pine 1x12's for free. Not bad for $20 ;-)
          --------------------------------------------------
          Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• Norm in Fujino
            • Dec 2002
            • Fujino-machi, Kanagawa-ken, Japan.
            • Ryobi BT-3000

You don't even need to glue up multiple PVC boards; just use furring strips of the thickness needed to allow the trim to rise above the siding.
            ==========
            ". . . and only the stump, or fishy part of him remained."
            Green Gables: A Contemplative Companion to Fujino Township

Comment

Working...