• Show
Clear All
  • SHADOWFOX
    Veteran Member
    • May 2005
    • IL, USA.
    • DELTA 36-675

Dang Raccoons!!

Urggghhh! These things were able to gain access to my attic by pushing the sofit and chewing up the boards. Did $6000.00 worth of damage. Needed to have the old insulation removed, attic sprayed with microban, blow in the new insulation, then fix the chewed up boards and the sofit.

Thank God the darn thing is covered by the insurance so we ended just having to pay our deductible.

Went ahead and bought 2 traps at HF and got my .22 ready.
    Chris

"The first key to wisdom is constant and frequent questioning, for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at the truth." -Pierre Abelard 11th Century philosopher.
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

Been there... Done that... Threw away the t-shirt.

Comment

• tommyt654
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2008

Get a dog as well and outdoor one

Comment

• unknown poster
        Established Member
        • Jan 2006

I had that problem with squirrels, what a pain.

Don't just replace the wood where they chewed through, put up some aluminum flashing too. They'll want to go back to the same place they nested last time, the flashing will make this harder. If they chewed through a wooden vent (like a gable vent), staple chicken wire on the outside to keep them away from it.

The metal may stop them from getting in. If it doesn't, it will make noise and give you a notice that they are active again. It will also take them longer to get through. You'll want to check these areas periodically to see if they're back.

Comment

• natausch
          Established Member
          • Aug 2009
          • Aurora, IL
          • BT3000 - 15A

Neighbors just got tagged with this, luckily they've only sheltered under our deck so far, along with the rabbits, chipmonks and the skunk. It's a regular rodent family reuinion down there.

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

Been there, done that, no fun...

Did the hardware cloth thing, caught the sucker trying to chew his way in and dispatched him via bow and broadhead... No more problems.
            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• L. D. Jeffries
              • Dec 2005
              • Russell, NY, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000

Yeah they can be a problem. But sometimes kind of funny. Have a bird feeder off the back porch path; couple of months ago heard a commotion early evening. Turned on the porch lite and there was a scene to remember. Two, yeah two young coons up on the cross arm for the feeder; down on the ground was a BIG skunk chowing down on dropped seeds, one coon wanted down but every time he started the skunk would stamp its feet and put his tail up. Poor coons couldn't figure how to end this farce. Finally the skunk ambled off and two coons were able to get out of town. Still chuckle when I think about it.
              RuffSawn
              Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!

Comment

• BigguyZ
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2006
                • Minneapolis, MN
                • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

My brother recently had a problem with squirrels. He let it go too long and they went from running around in the attic to chewing into a kitchen cabinet, to getting inside the house and eating away the mullions for the divided window lights.... Not fun.

It only cost $450 though. Traps were just set, and an entry indicator was used to make sure there was no more activity before everything was sealed up. The entry monitor was one cool piece of high-tech equipment.... a piece of paper!

I definitely whould have rather went over to HF to grab some traps. But the most important thing is that they're gone.

Comment

Working...